• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s perfectly legal to listen on the aircraft channel. An air band scanner starts at around £100. Look on Amazon. You need a license to transmit but you’ve got to be in an aircraft or in ATC to do th

GUILTY AS CHARGED! I was on from 81 through to 88, and i was one of the TURKEYS that iron cross and friends tried to get. but i was young and stupid then. now i'm just old and dumb! i was always mobil

Right to get this thread back going again.. there is another recording of old 'boxer' on http://ukcb.tripod.com there was two more of tony rifleman, but recorded quality was low, so being re-done. i

• 2 weeks later...

I still have my  handheld cb. A Harvard, with a 4ft telescopic aerial (although I always used the rubber duck) and it took 8 AA batteries plus 2 dummies!

Used to ride around Bilborough using it.

Nowadays I'd think twice of getting my mobile phone out around some of the streets!

• 1 month later...

it's all but dead now..

in Nottingham there's maybe half a dozen on the air..

Leon Pieces 

John the Bassman

some twat who sits on 19 sounding crap the new boxer we call him, Will.

Alison 

Keith Blowlamp

erm....

hmm, that's about it for nottingham

mansfield, derby has a few..

but nottingham...most have sold up or don't bother.

some have been driven off, others have gone to skype where they can talk openly without fear of being heard or keyed out.

if anyone was to come back on, don't expect to talk to anyone, unless there's a few of you setting back up as there's no one out there to hear you scream.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/10/2008 at 11:03 PM, crazy64 said:

GUILTY AS CHARGED! I was on from 81 through to 88, and i was one of the TURKEYS that iron cross and friends tried to get. but i was young and stupid then. now i'm just old and dumb! i was always mobile running a 6foot avanti moonraker and a concorde 2. and yes i remember the gemini lady....BUT SHE WAS NEVER A LADY!...LMAO whatever happened to karen? last seen in top valley

i knew iron cross and worked with him down the pit my handle was chalky and i did a lot of turking still on the air waves now 

Hiya Chalky, just fell on this thread and it took me back a bit. Lived in Bulwell, 78 to 87, before we moved sarf. 

My handle for joke was "Dancing Dipole", we used to have little CB meetings on weds nights at the Nelson, on Sellars wood road. Also used " Guardian Angel" when being serious. Still got a Midland Ready Rescue and Harvard walkie t.

On 6/11/2019 at 5:50 PM, bigpimp said:

it's all but dead now..

in Nottingham there's maybe half a dozen on the air..

Leon Pieces 

John the Bassman

some twat who sits on 19 sounding crap the new boxer we call him, Will.

Alison 

Keith Blowlamp

erm....

hmm, that's about it for nottingham

mansfield, derby has a few..

but nottingham...most have sold up or don't bother.

some have been driven off, others have gone to skype where they can talk openly without fear of being heard or keyed out.

if anyone was to come back on, don't expect to talk to anyone, unless there's a few of you setting back up as there's no one out there to hear you scream.

i am on in arnld most nights chalky white

• 10 months later...
On 1/13/2007 at 9:57 PM, mick2me said:

I think the Rotel 240 was the same build too.

Ham international, you mean USB/LSB Ver naughty too Good Bud!

Who Can I remember?

The 'Gas Man' "Help me push this Cement Mixer up Carlton Hill"

Gemini Lady Karen

Bendigo Lady (Fran) aka bendy old lady Sneinton

Country Gentleman or Cee Gee, (Ron) Colwick

Murdock (Nick) Carlton)

Ian 'Beefsteak' Carlton

Oh yes and 'The glorious ALPHA Organisation'

"All pledge allegience to 'The glorious ALPHA Organisation'"

The Iron Cross (phil) was a mate in those Days, we were well known 'turkey' trackers, after dark.

And me 'Professional' (as apposed to Amature)

Amazing what pops up on the internet, CB days! Gemini Lady, often think what happened to Karen, was an ex of mine. There a few other names I remember in that list. My handle was Manta.

Is anyone still using CB? I never got involved. 'Breaker one nine for a copy...' 'What's your twenty?'

Sometimes when I go up to the top of our local hill.. there will be a chap using 'Amateur Radio' and talking to people on other continents.  It's all very polite and correct, with proper call signs etc.

I can talk to people all over the World on my phone., but I can still see the attraction of older technologies.

DJ, up in Boolwool,  they never asked, " what's your twenty"? It always came out as "Twenny ".

We had a club that met in the Nelson at  Crabtree. Met on Wednesday nights, hence "Wednesday Squadron".

I've still got two rigs, one being a Midland Ready Recue, still in it's case.

I reckon the novelty started to wear off in the late eighties Phil. Then when mobiles came along, it killed CB stone dead. A pity really, I used to like using the link to other travellers. Once the estate kids got their hands on radios it all went downhill as they were not using correct radio procedure and just bucket mouthing all the time, blocking out bona fide users. I fitted a decent little radio to my son's mobility scooter, so was able to monitor him if he went visiting or along the seafront without us tagging along. For example, if we went to Wollaton Park, he could be half way round the lake and we could be enjoying a cuppa in the café. 

The CB radio craze hit its peak 1979/80 while still illegal, It died off when legalised & operated from a different band & new radios, can't see mobile phones having any effect, ownership was still less than 50% even in 2001/2 twenty years later.

I bought a couple of hand held radios when I was at Chailey Heritage school. It help 'er indoors to locate me as I could be anywhere on sight. This was of course, before I'd even got a mobile phone. The radios came in handy when travelling in tandem with another car. Able to communicate without having to stop and converse. I used to have a pager but the radios worked better, (if my pager went off, I would have to find a phone). Still got a couple of pairs of radios.

Used to have radios at Holme Pierrepont, when I was a Ranger. (HP5)

Another point, CBs are free to use.