I hadn't realised that either, but it's at the discretion of the police , ie you can get 'done' for eating a sandwich at the wheel (For not being in total control of your vehicle ) so I would imagine it would be the same regarding a C.B. Microphone

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s perfectly legal to listen on the aircraft channel. An air band scanner starts at around £100. Look on Amazon. You need a license to transmit but you’ve got to be in an aircraft or in ATC to do th

GUILTY AS CHARGED! I was on from 81 through to 88, and i was one of the TURKEYS that iron cross and friends tried to get. but i was young and stupid then. now i'm just old and dumb! i was always mobil

Right to get this thread back going again.. there is another recording of old 'boxer' on http://ukcb.tripod.com there was two more of tony rifleman, but recorded quality was low, so being re-done. i

Interesting point about using a mobile phone or a CB, in the industry I work in the rules state that "mobile phones are not to be used whilst operating mobile plant (diggers, loading shovels etc) or lorries but there is no mention of CBs and most of the mobile plant and all the road going lorries are fitted with CB's and two way radio's

Rog

This brings back some memories. :) Can remember going to visit some friends who on the cb whilst they were on holiday at Skegness. The guy who we were visiting let my dad use his cb. Had a huge beam aerial on top of a scaffolding pole attached to the roof of his caravan. (Can't remember the cb he had now tho, but remember the mike had the bleep when you let go), and a burner to go with it.

He kept asking 19 for a Brook Breaker lol. Blanked all Skegness out that weekend. In fact, he blanked out all the surrounding area lol.

The locals weren't amused lmao.

:) Sal

ps. dad was miniman.

Other handles of people we knew are :-

Boltcropper,

Paranoid,

Steamroller,

Alligator,

Skippy,

Snow White,

Dream machine,

Street machine,

Gunsmoke,

Lady Dynamite,

Pagan,

Can't remember the rest, there were loads of them. Oh well, I'll add those when I remember them all lol.

I hadn't realised that either, but it's at the discretion of the police , ie you can get 'done' for eating a sandwich at the wheel (For not being in total control of your vehicle ) so I would imagine it would be the same regarding a C.B. Microphone

To repeat wot beefy said, it has always been (from at least mid 60's) an offence to be 'seen' to "not be in proper control of the vehicle" which - as I have also always pointed out, includes eating !

I worked for a one man band plumber from Gedling in '63. When working down the medders, we would pop along Victoria embankment for a couple of hot sausage rolls from a kiosk. I would start eating mine as soon as we were in the van, but my boss (who turned out to be a sadistic ba*t**d any way) said that it was illegal to eat in a vehicle whilst moving. Of course, being the stroppy 'get' that I used to be (?!?!) I looked into it, & found out that Yes, it was/is illegal to eat whilst the vehicle is in motion,,,,, but only for the driver !!!

Of course this 'blanket' coverage actually already covered using a moby (or almost anything else) and was used by the Anti Cell Ban lobby to try to stop having a specific law just for moby's.

We all know that it's far safer to use a mobile than say, rolling a fag & the rigmarole that goes with it,,,, or peel & eat an orange,,,, or search Cassette boxes for looking current tunes to play etc etc etc.

Incy Dentally: What is a 'get' & where does it come from ? I don't seem to hear the phrase from anywhere else.

Baz

'Snakeman'

The whole talking into a microphone is not ilegal, simply there are to many people who use mics on a daily basis,

fire, ambulance, police, taxi, commercial, business and CB and amateur radio..

so to make a law for one would mean them all..

one or two amateurs carry a piece of paper around with them taken from the net regarding this and on occassions have been pulled by the old bill and produced this to the orrifsirs..

needless to say, you can't get done fro it..

now if seen to be driving in a careless manner is a different thing..

as what a 'get' i used to use it and still do, another way of say 'git' like 'yer misserable get..'

just like regonal accents i suppose, people say things differently in different areas..

While we're on here talking about CB...yet again, lol...

looking for a breaker called 'Oddleg' from mansfield...

anyone ???

or even where 'Fonzy' is, known to be around broxtowe, bilborough area..

• 5 months later...

yep used cb radio from the early 1980s used to belong bulwell hucknell breakers club held at the appollo pub i think every thursday night ,then i went onto sideband then i realy had a good time lol used operate from clifton ran a superstar rig and a pdl2 quad had loads of different rigs some good some rubbish cheers kerm x alfa tango 771

• 10 months later...

Right to get this thread back going again..

there is another recording of old 'boxer' on http://ukcb.tripod.com there was two more of tony rifleman, but recorded quality was low, so being re-done.

i also have a few snippets of the glorious alpha if anyone wants an MP3..!!

'attention that man, attention that man'........

i still have a few aerials, power supplies and homebase CB's for sale if anyone wants to take the history plunge..!!

• Upvote 1

On of the guys at work does off roading in his Jeep.

He has a rig, but he never swr'd the twig.

Must do it for him if I can find the lead, and remember how to do it.

Do you have a Recording of 'Professional' and 'Beefsteak' discussing the Fawkland War?

Classic!

Them "Pucara ground planes" never were as good as an Avanti Astroplanre

It's so easy to build 1/4 wave ground planes for one band, and they are a sight better and cheaper than manufactured antennas!! I only buy manufactured antennas as my needs are multiple bands, ie five band vertical and a tribander Yagi. I cannot hope to compete with manufactured designed multi band antennas. One day I will put up a really long loop which will be multiple wavelengths long, and as such have gain on all bands.

When on 'cb' I lived in balloon wood flats...folk were always trying to get the best ariel and started with dustbin lids for ground planes..then moved on to things like fridge doors and went up onto the roof of the flats and put them up there...I took a wire from the bottom of my di-pole which was just leaning up in the corner of my bedroom ..attached the wire to a normal 3 pin plug ( on the earth pin ) and just plugged it in......couldnt get a bigger ground plane if i wanted....worked brilliantly.

It's so easy to build 1/4 wave ground planes for one band, and they are a sight better and cheaper than manufactured antennas!! I only buy manufactured antennas as my needs are multiple bands, ie five band vertical and a tribander Yagi. I cannot hope to compete with manufactured designed multi band antennas. One day I will put up a really long loop which will be multiple wavelengths long, and as such have gain on all bands.

Half size G5 RV did me proud & worked the world with it !

G5RV's are alright if you have a tuner, they do not possess 50 ohms impedance. They are a very common ham multi band antenna, but as I said need an antenna tuner to match the transceiver input. Wonder you didn't fry your finals. I most certainly wouldn't connect a G5RV to my HF rig without a tuner..... Couple of hundred bucks of transistors would be smoked.

They are for ham radio use!!! I built a Heathkit 2kw tuner nearly twenty years ago after I'd first got licensed, and was nearly $400! And that was a kit. The best antenna is a resonant one that needs no tuners. Tuners are "lossy" and all they really do is "fool" a radio it's transmitting onto a 50 ohm load.

Both my tri band Yagi and my Cushcraft R5 are resonant and present a 50 ohm "load" to the radio.

A G5RV is an "off centre fed dipole" that should be fed with 300 ohm ladder line. If it was centre fed and cut to correct length for the band it operates on, the impedance would be 50 ohms and require no lossy tuner in line.

That's over 40 years of studying RF engineering Rob!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow is it still really going, must rummage around in some boxes and find my rig. I was going strong and my handle was Misteryman (there was two of us at that time) I was on Rise Park and one of my near neighbours insisted in using an echo box all the while. A friend in Colwick introduced me to it and I reverted to a mobile double wound twig when I bought a boat, had to mount it on a metal plate though to ground it as the boat was fibreglass. It worked great though when I got my narrow boat and spoke to others all over the country on my travels, truck drivers being the most amusing. Boy did we use some stupid slang, my favourite being seat cover, remember that? Some of us used to go to Dorket Head in our motors as it was Nottinghams reputed highest point and you could get good distances from there.I remember we loved being called breakers as most of us did not have that bit of paper.

I reckon me , thee and Mick2me must have modulated at one time or another!! , We used to chat regularly with a bloke (Nolly??) who lived on a boat down Hazelford Ferry way.

Favourite expression? Cup of sludge = Coffee

Reading this CB thread is pretty funny! It didn't exist in the U.K. until after I left, so my first exposure to CB was here in the states - where it was VERY popular back in the late 70's, but with the advent of cell phones, has dropped off significantly in recent years although most truckers still have one.

Interestingly, the Brits seem to have picked up on some of the CB lingo - but it obviously has different meanings over there. For example, here the word "breaker" meant you were trying to break into an ongoing conversation - often between several operators. It was typically followed by the number of the channel you were trying to break into - "breaker one-nine" meant the common channel 19 - and was made famous in "Smokey and the Bandit" and the song "Convoy". In later years it was used to initiate a conversation with anyone who was listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell, Nolly, at Hazleford Ferry. Did you ever go and visit him on his boat? Can't remember what kind it was, but it had huge radar things built into the main room (as you went on it) upstairs. That boat was one of the little boats used in the floatilla bringing people back from Dunkirk (the ww2 one when the rescued em from dunkirk). Think dad said the last he hear, Nolly's boat had sank. Not sure what happened to him, or his boat nowadays. May have to take a trip across and see if it was re-floated. :)

That's a blast from the past reading about him. :)

My dad used to be in Shirebrook, which was Brook Breakers. Mini Man was his handle. :) Can remember going across to Skeg one day to visit a guy from Shirebrook called Blue Mountain (his wife was called String of Pearls), and he had a huge aerial on top of his caravan at Ingoldmells. (Also had a burner under the cb in the caravan). He let dad go on it on one visit "one nine, one nine a copy" "any brook breakers out there?". then someone came on who was in Skeg itself telling dad that he was blanking out all skegness and the surrounding area. LOL. Good times they were.

Remember each club used to have Treasure Hunts? Can remember driving through Crich with the Am rig in the car, and being followed by a police car, so dad had to get the AM one off it's rack, hand it to me, whilst I was getting the FM one out from under the passenger seat, and we did a swap, with me putting the AM one under the seat lol. Good and funny times. :)