The Napier Inn or Pub on Union Road

We were discussing the pubs in St Anns area the other day, and were stumped with the location of The Napier, thinking it could have been on Union Road or Curzon Street or somewhere roundabout there. We know there was a Sir Charles Napier up on North Sherwood Street, but have we dreamt of another one in St Anns?

There was a pub on Curzon Street at the corner of The lammas, can anyone confirm what this was called?

Re #4 Cliff, what year was the large scale map, as I cannot recall a pub on St Marks Street which shows as The Minstrel Tavern? There was the pub on the corner with Huntingdon Street, was that The Foresters or something similar? Could of course just be that the memory is now somewhat selective!

Re #4 Cliff, what year was the large scale map, as I cannot recall a pub on St Marks Street which shows as The Minstrel Tavern? There was the pub on the corner with Huntingdon Street, was that The Foresters or something similar? Could of course just be that the memory is now somewhat selective!

The large scale map, as mentioned also by Bubblewrap, is 1881. The Minstrel Tavern seems to disappear from the scene by the 1920s.

Thanks again Cliff and Bubble, I've been mentally (?) walking up and down Mark street all night looking for The Minstrel and had almost convinced myself that I could remember it! Good to get back to reality.

Cheers, Cliff, I hve now put Picture The Past on my "favourites" and can spend many a happy hour browsing. The images of the boarded streets seem so dismal, never saw them like that when they were full of people and were just a part of everyday life. It was sad to see the communities disappear, but the downhill trend for me started in the late 60's when the properties were being allowed to deteriorate further awaiting the demolition.

• 9 years later...

Looks like the Napier Inn on Union Road and also the New Inn ceased trading 1971 when a license was issued for premises within the Vic Centre. 

This from the E.P. March 30th 1971 :

"Removal of a justices license for retail intoxicating liquor of all descriptions on premises situate at Union Road in the City of
Nottingham known by the sign of the "NEW INN" and of which premises the Home Brewery Company Limited of Daybrook  is the owner from such premises to certain premises intended to be erected in the Nottingham Victoria Development Centre .....of which premises the Home Brewery Company Limited of Daybrook in the County of Nottingham will be the Lessee .

And if such application is granted it would be my intention to surrender the Provisional Order sanctioning the removal of the licence of the NAPIER INN Union Road to the site adjacent to the proposed Covered Market in the Nottingham Victoria Development Centre granted at the Licensing Sessions held on the sixth day of March, 1970 and affirmed at the General Annual Licensing Meeting held on the fourth day of February, 1971 together with the licence of the NAPIER INN
GIVEN.... this twenty-third day of March 1971
J. C. GREEN"

Hi Carolyn 1985 A Very Warm Wecolm.

There was a pub called the Napier on Union Rd   Master called in there on his bachelor night. It was the kind of pub that had ladies in but they were not real women. Get the drift. Just like these programs that are coming on the TV. The master had the comment well you won't get any thing here my dear you'r quite safe.

The closest you'll get to the location now is roughly here.........the entrance to the car park at the rear of the former Aldi.

https://goo.gl/maps/XY3UieNhFR5GjL1c8

9 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Looks like the Napier Inn on Union Road and also the New Inn ceased trading 1971 when a license was issued for premises within the Vic Centre. 

So it seems one of the pubs which used to be in Victoria Centre effectively became the new Napier/New Inn.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:19 AM, mary1947 said:

Hi Carolyn 1985 A Very Warm Wecolm.

There was a pub called the Napier on Union Rd   Master called in there on his bachelor night. It was the kind of pub that had ladies in but they were not real women. Get the drift. Just like these programs that are coming on the TV. The master had the comment well you won't get any thing here my dear you'r quite safe.

- Curious as to what you mean with not real women? (Apologies! I wasn't sure!)

On 10/28/2022 at 11:34 PM, DAVIDW said:

This from the E.P. March 30th 1971 :

"Removal of a justices license for retail intoxicating liquor of all descriptions on premises situate at Union Road in the City of
Nottingham known by the sign of the "NEW INN" and of which premises the Home Brewery Company Limited of Daybrook  is the owner from such premises to certain premises intended to be erected in the Nottingham Victoria Development Centre .....of which premises the Home Brewery Company Limited of Daybrook in the County of Nottingham will be the Lessee .

And if such application is granted it would be my intention to surrender the Provisional Order sanctioning the removal of the licence of the NAPIER INN Union Road to the site adjacent to the proposed Covered Market in the Nottingham Victoria Development Centre granted at the Licensing Sessions held on the sixth day of March, 1970 and affirmed at the General Annual Licensing Meeting held on the fourth day of February, 1971 together with the licence of the NAPIER INN
GIVEN.... this twenty-third day of March 1971
J. C. GREEN"

So am I reading it right that they wanted to move locations? Am I reading it correctly that they wanted a premises within VCentre?

On 10/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The closest you'll get to the location now is roughly here.........the entrance to the car park at the rear of the former Aldi.

So it seems one of the pubs which used to be in Victoria Centre effectively became the new Napier/New Inn.

- Thanks for merging the topic!

I cannot believe there were once pubs in Vic centre! Lol. I thought i was going mad reading the above comment about it moving license but that makes sense if there were once pubs in there. 

Its sad there are no photos remaining apart from this one in the distance

9 hours ago, Carolyn1985 said:

- Curious as to what you mean with not real women? (Apologies! I wasn't sure!)

No Apologies needed , clue my hubby called in the Napier on his stag night, he sat at the bar with a pint and 2 very petty women, the girls ask what he was doing next day. Hubby said well I'm getting married. Well said the girls you have come to the right place here (Napier) you won't get any thing from us derria?    There are at the moment a lot of these programs on TV.  Enjoy the site Carolyn hopefully we might see you at our next meetup?

On 10/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The only pub that I can recall that went into the Victoria centre in 1973 when it opened was  was built on the front of the center up on the first flooor and it was called The MIltons head.  in 1967 the Victoria station was demomlished and on the corner of Milton st was Milton's Head Hotel 1985-1900 in 1973 the victoria center opened.

I can not recall any thing about the Napier. 

There was another pub the other end of the center entrance was from Glasshouse St and it was an Home Ales pub it was called   New Vic. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Napier Inn or Pub on Union Road