The Napier Inn or Pub on Union Road

23 hours ago, Carolyn1985 said:

I cannot believe there were once pubs in Vic centre! 

As mary1947 said it was the Milton's Head , a Home Brewery pub in the Victoria Centre , it had frontage to Parliament St and an entrance from upstairs within the Centre apparently. The original Milton's Head stood on the corner of what became the new entrance to the Vic Centre.

Further down Parliament St but still within the confines of Vic Centre was the Prince Albert , an Ansells pub , later Butlers ,later Levers Invention, later Havana Bar ? (May not have been in that order). 

I vaguely remember them being there but left Notts in 1981 (Info from some Facebook pages).

Re the "New Vic"  also mentioned by mary1947 this from 1996 

The New Vic in the Victoria Centre became Druckers Patisserie at first floor and Jeans Corporation on the ground floor Miltons on Lower Parliament Street became an extension to Dixons......
16 July 1996 - Nottingham Evening Post -
  • Like 1
On 10/31/2022 at 8:12 PM, DAVIDW said:

Further down Parliament St but still within the confines of Vic Centre was the Prince Albert , an Ansells pub , later Butlers ,later Levers Invention, later Havana Bar ? (May not have been in that order). 

The New Vic in the Victoria Centre became Druckers Patisserie at first floor and Jeans Corporation on the ground floor 

For anyone who may vaguely remember.....

the Prince Albert (or other names) is now the Ladbrokes behind the bus:-  https://goo.gl/maps/hmePDY6AiwJaju3q6

And this shows the New Vic within Victoria Centre:- https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm005228/posterid/ntgm005228.html

• Like 1

Another pub thay was demolished but years before our time the Unicorn inn it stood on the corner of Parliament st and Milton st 1901  it was demolished in the widening of milton st in 1902. The Original Dog & Partridge Lower Parliament st it was demolished for the building of Victoria Station in 1896, It was rebuilt in a different style three years later.

I'm pretty sure there was another pub in/attatched to Vic centre, although i can't remember whether it could be accessed from inside the centre or not.

But i do seem to remember an entrance on Milton st where the Superdry shop is now opposite Bistro Pierre.

The name the Wellbeck or new Wellbeck is in my mind but this could just be a figment of my imagination:(.

51 minutes ago, RadFordee said:

I'm pretty sure there was another pub in/attatched to Vic centre, although i can't remember whether it could be accessed from inside the centre or not.

But i do seem to remember an entrance on Milton st where the Superdry shop is now opposite Bistro Pierre.

The name the Wellbeck or new Wellbeck is in my mind but this could just be a figment of my imagination:(.

Your memory isn't wrong. Looking at a map of the shop units when the Centre first opened, there was indeed a 'New Welbeck' in that location.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Napier Inn or Pub on Union Road

I remember a friend and I used to meet in whichever establishment it was that was accessed from Parliament Street at the far end of Boots shop frontage. It was quite nice in the mid to late 70s but I can't recall the name.

Advert from the EP. 21st Feb 1973 showing the New Welbeck was a Berni Inn.

Look at the wages offered !

HANDYMAN Required, six days a week.from 9a.m. - 3p.m., 35p an hour.

Also full time barmaid Required. Good wages and
commission. Five day week. - Contact
Manager. The New Welbeck (Berni Inns).
16. Victoria Centre, Nottingham.

43 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I remember a friend and I used to meet in whichever establishment it was that was accessed from Parliament Street at the far end of Boots shop frontage. It was quite nice in the mid to late 70s but I can't recall the name.

Think that would be the one that cliffton said a few posts up was the Prince Albert Jill.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Your memory isn't wrong. Looking at a map of the shop units when the Centre first opened, there was indeed a 'New Welbeck' in that location.

Thanks for confirming that CT, i am amazed that i got the name right as i really dont know where it came from it just popped into my head as i was typing my post.

1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

Thanks for the info i didn't know the pub was a Berni inn.

I do now remember the entrance on Milton st had wooden louvre type swing doors, the kind you used to see in old western films on tv.

• Like 1

I remember going to the auction of the effects of the old Welbeck Hotel when it closed down in the early 70’s. I was, at the time, the chief accountant with a company in the hotel and leisure industries. I was asked to go and bid for the large ornate mirrors in the dining room. This was the first auction I had attended and I didn’t really know what I was doing but it turned out that I had bought them! It was situated towards the bottom of Milton St. facing Trinity Square at the Forman St. end. I also recollect lunching there with my parents many years before.

16 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Look at the wages offered !

HANDYMAN Required, six days a week.from 9a.m. - 3p.m., 35p an hour.

Also full time barmaid Required. Good wages and
commission. Five day week. - Contact
Manager. The New Welbeck (Berni Inns).
16. Victoria Centre, Nottingham.

Working on a 36 hour week and taking out 30 minutes unpaid dinner that would be £11.55 gross if my maths is correct. Seems to me to be quite low for 1973 for a 'handyman' who you would expect to have some skills (Obviously not a tradesman) Anyone bear that out or maybe just a euphemism for a glass collector/washer/cleaner etc

• Like 1

The  Robin Hood & Little John which  was built in 1873 and later was deolished rebuilt and renamed 1901 The Welbeck this was also demolished 1970. There was also a another hotel named Victoria station hotel   anot sure where this hotel was i think that is was near or on Milton St.and at the junction 

Another pup  recall was when you come out  on Glasshouse st this pub was called.""OWD BOOTS"""