Anyone who worked at Elastic Yarns or Naafi Office

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi my name is Dave Callard and I worked at Elastic Yarns between 1966 - 1975. I worked in Purchasing with Harry Wheat. The people I remember when I was working there are as follows. Bill Metcalf ( M

Hi LizzieM, must confess I laughed out loud at your little anecdote concerning your Great-Aunt Connie who was an 'excellent cook'. I have a similar story: I recall my Grandma, Mrs Florrie Jackson

Posted Images

I went out with a girl who worked at the NAAFI offices in Bottle Lane Lyn. Her name was Linda Kay, way back in 1966, she lived up Bestwood.

Hi I didnt start at the Naafi until 1970 sorry but i dont recall the name.

Lynmee imsorry

She probably got married and moved on Lyn... Be nice to find out what happened to her and how her family are, I'd presume her Mum would be long gone now, but she had a Sister and Brother..

• 8 months later...

I didn't work at Elastic Yarns myself - well apart from a few weeks during school holidays occasionally! , but my Dad, Ted Hurst, worked there for many years. I wonder if you remember him? I'm in touch with an old work colleague of my Dad's - Alan Rose. Do you remember him too?

As for NAAFI, my brother Michael Hurst (Mike or Mick), worked there in the 60's.

Hope you remember my family!

Ann

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,anyone out there work at Elastic Yarns early 60s I worked in wages and accounts and also the Naffi Offices in debt recovery I would love to hear from you.

Lyn Mee lips0

did you know brian hanks, he worked for naffi for years, sadly died a couple of years ago.

• 1 year later...

My Great-Aunt, Connie Alvey, worked at Elastic Yarns for many years as Canteen Manageress. As she was born in 1900 I assume she would have retired around 1960. She was an excellent cook but my lasting memory of her is watching her beating cake mix with a fag in her mouth and two inches of ash hanging precariously off the end of it!

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Hi LizzieM, must confess I laughed out loud at your little anecdote concerning your Great-Aunt Connie who was an 'excellent cook'.

I have a similar story:

I recall my Grandma, Mrs Florrie Jackson (a lovely, kind lady) who at the age of 90 was waiting and watching at the kitchen window for the 'Meals On Wheels' lady to deliver her mid-day meal. She turned and looked at me and said: "there's no joy in getting older you know."

I really felt the pathos of her situation: here was a lady who must have cooked with love and pride for all her family and many others for over 70 years; but the memories live on..................

Grandma's Specials:

Egg and Bacon Pasties (to pack the men of the family up with ..............there were always some left over for we kids)

Egg, Bacon and Tomatoes (no-one made fried tomatoes like Florrie)

Rhubarb Tart (of course made with rhubarb from the garden)

Beef Dinners (I can taste them even now)

God Bless Florrie, memories of you bring tears to my eyes; love you forever .................................

• Upvote 2

Sorry Lyn the Lynda I remember was tall with dark curly hair.

Was Mr Powdrill still there when you were and Betty in the wages with her ryvita. :crazy:

I worked at Elastic Yarns 1949-52 and 1955-80. I remember Eric Powdrill, Geoff Hornbuckle, Bill Pass in Registry & Bill Metcalf. I worked in Sales.

• 2 months later...

Hello. I have an interest in this topic as my wife was working at Elastic Yarns on Castle Boulevard when I met her on a blind date on 27th February 1969. Her maiden name was Christina Tattersall but she was called chris but had the nick name 'Buzz'. She left that year because the late shifts got in the way of our amorous canoodling.

• Upvote 1