Anyone who worked at Elastic Yarns or Naafi Office

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi my name is Dave Callard and I worked at Elastic Yarns between 1966 - 1975. I worked in Purchasing with Harry Wheat. The people I remember when I was working there are as follows. Bill Metcalf ( M

Hi LizzieM, must confess I laughed out loud at your little anecdote concerning your Great-Aunt Connie who was an 'excellent cook'. I have a similar story: I recall my Grandma, Mrs Florrie Jackson

Posted Images

bilbraborn dose your wife come from broxtowe and parents bill and violet by any chance if so i knew her when we were kids and often stayed in uncle bills caravan at mablethorpe.

She remembers them both. She says can you remember Margaret Hathaway. My wife was quite young there and the men used to take the Mickey out of her. She was very beautiful and the guys always chatted her up. She can still tie a knot in cotton with one hand.

I am sorry to hear that and so is my wife. She really loved working there. I used to meet her off afternoon shift and I think on Friday night they turned off the machines for cleaning. The silence was deafening so to speak. As I mentioned before, she stopped working there and got another job so we could spend more time together in the evenings.

I remember the noise too, as I used to go there sometimes on a Saturday with my Dad and I also worked in the office during a school holiday once.

I've put some photos of my Dad and others from Elastic Yarns on the Lenton Times website. Perhaps your wife might remember some of the others

http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/castle_boulevard.htm

She has loads of Lenton Times and also the earlier Lenton Listener. I think her mate had a video of a reunion somewhere.

A reply from my friend Alan , Bilbraborn

The name does ring a bell but I wonder if that is because of the Shakespearean connection! Am embarrassed because I cannot put a face to a name.

The ability to tie a knot in cotton with one hand would suggest she worked in the Cotton Room. She should remember May Blanchard and Charlie Garratt.

She is at Bingo right now so I can't ask her, but she has mentioned Charlie Garratt in the past. But, (friends Romans and countrymen) where is the Shakespearean connection?

I'll tell you how you can remember her. She was always combing her flippin hair. In her break she would be stood on the stairs with a fag in one hand and a brush or comb in the other.

My wife is home now and says she remembers both May Blanchard and Charlie Garratt. She says can you remember Barbara Percival who lived in the Penn Avenue flats. She also says don't confuse her with Doris Tattersall who also worked there.

Reply from Alan

The lass preening herself while having a fag would have been on the landing at the Castle Boulevard end. Us folks in the offices were allowed to kill ourselves with the fags at our desks. Does Chris remember me as that good looking bloke in the sales office? I hope so as that will give me something to hang on to! I don’t know Barbara Percival and where were the Penn Avenue flats?

Not much use on this am I but at least we have mutual memories of May and Charlie!

Barbara Percival actually worked there longer than my wife. In fact the two of them still regularly knock about together. I'll ask her about the good looking bloke bit when she comes in. Everyone used to call her Buzz.

She is home now and says she definitely remembers you as that good looking geezer in the office. She says can you remember the rubber room downstairs. She says she is sure the rubber room was downstairs and what was the middle floor for.