Anyone who worked at Elastic Yarns or Naafi Office

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi my name is Dave Callard and I worked at Elastic Yarns between 1966 - 1975. I worked in Purchasing with Harry Wheat. The people I remember when I was working there are as follows. Bill Metcalf ( M

Hi LizzieM, must confess I laughed out loud at your little anecdote concerning your Great-Aunt Connie who was an 'excellent cook'. I have a similar story: I recall my Grandma, Mrs Florrie Jackson

Posted Images

My aunt Connie worked as a cook at the NAAFI in the early post-war years. I remember that Wilfred Pickles did his Have A Go show there one week. Had there been time for another contestant it would have been her.

In more modern times, I went out with Jyll Ball, a local songstress, for a while in the early 1960s. She worked there at the time. Sadly Jyllian died a few years ago.

ABOVE PIC.click for bigger one,sorry not very good at this ANNSWABY.

LEFT TO RIGHT BACK ROW,..Boulger,Gee,goalie?Dennis,Greig,Birchenall,FRONT ROW,Hales,Webster,Pleat,yours truly,Summers.

Nottm.BOYS UNDER 14S 1958

Hi my name is Dave Callard and I worked at Elastic Yarns between 1966 - 1975. I worked in Purchasing with Harry Wheat.

The people I remember when I was working there are as follows.

Bill Metcalf ( Managing Director )

Johnny Howard ( Tech Director )

Seth Hopwood ( Accounts Manager )

Geoff Hornbuckle - Sales

Alan Rose - Sales

Oliver Allen - Sales

Steve Ashdown - Sales

Frank Murden - Lab Manager

Shirley Terzza - Secretary

Dick Foster/John Thompson - Goods In

Stefano - Basement Stores

Christine Swinscoe - A/C

Vernon Thompson A/c

Kath Morley-Canteen Manageress

Fred Dunstan

Ted Hurst

Ronnie & Maxie Dixon

Tony Julian

Bill Mahon

Ralph & Alvin Browning

Sheila ? Who used to bring the tea trolley round

Anybody remember me please get in touch.

• Upvote 3

Really interested to read your post, Dave.

Ted Hurst was my Dad! I know lots of the names you've mentioned, particularly Alvin Browning, Oliver Allen, Fred Dunstan (Curly) and Johnny Howard. I'm in regular contact with Alan Rose and in occasional touch with Oliver. I'm sure Alan would like to be in touch with you - if you want to, can you pm me your email address?

Do you have any photos of people there? I have a few.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all my dad and me worked at elastic yarns from 60 -70s my dad was Walter heath he was a foreman and worked with ted Grundy I worked worked in the laboratory and then on shop floor and then went to sandiacre

#82 ,i think its the same Steve Ashdown i knew/know married Sandra off bestwood est,Steve was from Broxtowe and last i heard were living on Valley rd Basford,played football with him for BRSA Bulwell circa 1970,oh and Stephano" played for Real Madrid,lol.

Hi Boston what is your Christian name... I recognise the name Walter Heath but can't picture him but I remember Ted Grundy .

You must have worked with Frank Murden in the lab. One of my jobs was taking the sample skeins of yarn down to the lab in the morning for a colour match for the Scholls surgical stocking job which was one of the big runners at the time.

For a bit of extra money I used to go to Sandiacre on a Sunday cleaning machines down. I used to get a lift with a guy called Andy ? On the back of his motorbike. I remember he played in a group ..... Drums I think.

• Upvote 1

#82 ,i think its the same Steve Ashdown i knew/know married Sandra off bestwood est,Steve was from Broxtowe and last i heard were living on Valley rd Basford,played football with him for BRSA Bulwell circa 1970,oh and Stephano" played for Real Madrid,lol.

Hi Benjamin that's the guy. I knocked around with Steve for a while as I also lived on Broxtowe Estate. We used to play football on wood field park using coats as goalposts . Last time I saw Steve was at an Elastic Yarns reunion in 2000. His mum and dad had an allotment on Aspley Lane and you could often see his dad selling flowers outside the entrance to the allotments on a Saturday morning.

Cricket surgical stockings I remember them well and the cotton skeens I remember in the lab was Anna a Ukrainian and pat who lived nearby

One of them was a right good looker if I remember rightly..... Long black hair and a lovely smile.

dave 48

think that whould be andy murdon lived on cloiter st still see andy and his wife has just had his first child a boy ,andy is now age 67 i think andy sang and played drums in quite a few bands the crew being one of them always a good night with the crew. andy was there lead singer but had problems with his throat and can no loger sings but still plays drums for another 60s band who i carnt think of at the moment. still riding motorbikes nice yellow norton.

babs

• Upvote 1

would frank murden be andys dad i carnt remember his first name as we always called him mr murden although his mum was always joan mr murden died a few years ago now but joan is still alive and had her 90th birthday last year.

dave 48

think that whould be andy murdon lived on cloiter st still see andy and his wife has just had his first child a boy ,andy is now age 67 i think andy sang and played drums in quite a few bands the crew being one of them always a good night with the crew. andy was there lead singer but had problems with his throat and can no loger sings but still plays drums for another 60s band who i carnt think of at the moment. still riding motorbikes nice yellow norton.

babs

Hi Babs,

Yes I think you are right I think it was Andy Murden but I don't think he was related to Frank. The next time you see him Babs ask him if he remembers those Sunday mornings cleaning machines at Sandiacre.

will do dave probly be at mfn on wednessday if the weather is kind to us

I used to know a family called Murdon. They lived on Freeth Street which was at the end of Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane. The two sons were called Freddie and Terry and I wonder if they are related to the ones mentioned above. It's not a surname that you hear very often.