Anyone who worked at Elastic Yarns or Naafi Office

Sorry Ian, I don't recall the NAAFI office, way before my time..but hopefully still there now..think that whole row must have a Labyrinth of underground rooms. Went to the Hippo Club a few times mid-week in the 90's, Stretched to Byard Lane with a slight incline...still below street level if memory serves. Across the road the Oxfam Shop also had access to a basement..

I'm sure there was a 'for the area' a an amazingly expansive place somewhere near the QE (possibly a small door to left?)

Used have a band on called the Randies (spelling) this was a

Wednesday night about 1994.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi my name is Dave Callard and I worked at Elastic Yarns between 1966 - 1975. I worked in Purchasing with Harry Wheat. The people I remember when I was working there are as follows. Bill Metcalf ( M

Hi LizzieM, must confess I laughed out loud at your little anecdote concerning your Great-Aunt Connie who was an 'excellent cook'. I have a similar story: I recall my Grandma, Mrs Florrie Jackson

Posted Images

Re the NAAFI: I had a brief spell there from January 1976 to September 1976. I worked in the Car Hire Purchase Administration section. The Section manager was a chap called Nobby Clarke, although he was always Mr Clarke to us clerks. I sat opposite a girl called Sharon. I took the job as a stop gap between ending my Articles with a Chartered Accountants' practice and going to university. As I was going to the South West (Exeter) I sold a lot of stuff, and Sharon's Dad bought my fishing gear. The section supervisor was a lovely lady who was mad about Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music. The NAAFI tried to tempt me to stay on as an internal auditor, but I was intent on uni...

4 hours ago, David Shelton said:

The section supervisor was a lovely lady who was mad about Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music. 

Not normally regarded as a heart-throb. He's more likely to appeal to guitar anoraks.

• 7 months later...
On 5/6/2014 at 6:36 PM, annswabey said:

Really interested to read your post, Dave.

Ted Hurst was my Dad! I know lots of the names you've mentioned, particularly Alvin Browning, Oliver Allen, Fred Dunstan (Curly) and Johnny Howard. I'm in regular contact with Alan Rose and in occasional touch with Oliver. I'm sure Alan would like to be in touch with you - if you want to, can you pm me your email address?

Do you have any photos of people there? I have a few.

Hi I only just found this site nearly all these were transferred to sandicre.would you know if Oliver Allen is still alive thanks mick thorpe

• 1 month later...