,,, don't know if you saw it Ash, but I had a post running some weeks ago about an ITOM that I bought. Am trying to find a picture of it (or a very similar one) Mine was in racing fettle, & came from Snetterton, where - apparently - it held some speed record (takes a bit of believing for such a tiny motor). Course I have no idea of the guys name or address - it was a three-way swap.

Someone did post an article on thes pages for me, on ITOM in general (thanks again) but nothing like mine - full fairing etc etc.

Sorry to kidnap thread,,,,,,,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to work for a plumbing company at the bottom of Sherwood rise,,, they had a workshop just off Haydn Road. As mentioned,,,, the smells around the area were great (mostly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MARTYN: Did the 'Craggs' have a mobile shop (very early 60's) ?

Bazzer,

Not as I can recall mate.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alpha and Jill Sparrow   Apologies for delay in replying.   Other memories are of walking past the garage at the top of Maud Street on the way to school and the delightful smell of some k

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the ro

Welcome to Nottstalgia merlin7. You may have already found this, but if not it might bring back a few memories.

Alan, I used to knock around with your younger brother Freddie, your mum was called Evelyn right?

I still remember your Elvis hair and sideburns, or side boards as we all used to call them!

Ash, yes I do believe Mick did do a bit of wrestling, possibly on the Goose Fair? And im certain he had a Vello.

What about Graham and Gordon Pridmore, off Gawthorne street, or the Cartledges on High Church st, I saw Andy C a few weeks ago at Mercedes in Nottingham, just been made redundant, poor sod.

I dont remember the Snowden sisters, but I do remember Joey Snowden, their brother I assume.

Up on Gawthorne was another beer off, Glazebrooks, I went to Claremont with the son Brian, and where Gawthorne meets Sandon st, there was Steven Otter, who resembled Ringo Starr, and also played drums, in fact he used to have a big old fashioned bass drum on the front of his kit that you could see thru the window in his front room!

yes both the pridmores, went camping to edale with aforementioned youth club once, Got the train to Whalley Bridge and hitched from there Gordon got lift in a car, and left bell tent poles in boot! spent 2 nights under flapping canvas held up with branches. Last time I saw him was 1971 he was married and lived in Basford flats, Met Graham again too after leaving New Basford, were working at Mapperley hospital and one night took up his offer of lift home on back of his 500 AJS, didn't even get out of the grounds! skidded on wet leaves, I had no helmet or anything but was ok just grazed hand (still scarred!) but pridy had landed on face in road, unconcious I turned him over, he had on white silk scarf as was fashion then with goggles and pudding basin, blood was coming through scarf, I thought he was dead! soon came round but out of it, insisted he took exhaust pipe and silencer which had fell off in ambulance and kept it under his bed in the general! had ground away end of chin and nose but ok after couple of days, Another I remember was Dave Parker, a plumber, he had younger sister who was fanatical Hayley Mills fan and one day she visited her, don't know what she made of Gawthorne Street!

• 3 months later...

Craig, Its Brian Prince, one of your old friends from Mount Street just off Northgate !

Came across this site by pure accident, although I have been thinking a lot recently about the fond memories I have of my younger years, when I lived on Mount Street.

How nice It is to go down memory lane again, other shops I remember are Sadies Off-Licence, Simpsons greengrocers, Drivers fish shop and Godbers Butchers.

I seem to remember our old gang included Steven and Paul Clifford and Richard I think? also remember Fay Miles, once asked her for a date and see told me to XXXX off, that wasn't a great start with regards to the opposite sex was it !

Talking of names I can remember you having a pet hen whose name was Claria Cluck.

Remember going to Vernon Park and Billy Boggs field opposite, were we all had hours of fun walking in the river Leen and getting wet through.

We used to go to the Pear Tree pub on a sunday morning near Basford Crossings with your grandad, and sometimes we would go to a pub on Sherwood Rise.

Left Basford when I was 15 to live at Bestwood Park, got married when I was 22 and moved to Eastwood, were I still live.

Could go on and on as I remember my wonderful time living in New Basford.

Is your mum and was It Patty still living in your old house on Northgate ?

Hope you are keeping well,

Kind Regards, your old pal Brian.

"Billy Bogs"? we always knew it as Billy Bacons, used to go fishing there (nets and jamjars) and on vernon park, I remember one day at rosetta rd seeing loads of smoke in that direction and we all rushed on push bikes down there and spent next hour sat on the footbridge over the railway watching Sketchleys burn down!

Ashley, I think you are right, it was Billy Bacons field, still think we used to call it Billy Boggs, probably because we always got mudded up!

Yes we were armed with jam jars and fishing nets after minnows and if you were lucky a red breast,

also caught tadpoles, frogs and newts and once caught a crafish.

Remember when the Wakes were held there and also at the Shoulder of Mutton pub just down the road, it was a lot cheaper than the Goose Fair.

Regards, Brian.

Bought a house on Potters Terrace, number 5, for £375 in 1970, outside lavvie etc.

At the end of he terrace was a Laundrette, Stan's chip shop was just up Northgate, I think Stan sold it to a guy named Mick Lehman, nickname Manfred, who used to frequent the Dungeon club & was a mate of Pete Blood.............anyone remember them?

House on Potters was 'compulserally purchased' in about 1975, I got £1,300 compensation + council house on Highbury estate, what a result!!

All new houses built soon after, as referred to in Zab's earlier reply....................

Hi Paulus, knew Potters Terrace well, 2 mates lived there, John Sheldon and John Stokes can't recall what numbers but 2nd and I think 6th on right facing terrace, John Stokes had twin sister Pat and younger one Sharon, doubt there in 1970 though? all those houses had outside toilets 1960ish. at end of terrace there was big drop onto back of ropers garage, some kid jumped it and went through ropers roof! The Laundrette you refer to used to be a s/h (junk) shop used to get loads of bonfire rubbish from there! later owner/renter of it started "The Northgate Group" not sure what they did but became quite a big company import/export. Also knew Stan's (Waiting for chips) shop well, did some lovely mince and onion pies,

So many people to answer....start with my old mate Brian, blimey mate, good to hear from you! What a great site this is!

My mum still lives there on Northgate, but my Auntie Kath, who moved away and married a very rich man, died about 5 years ago.

I remember coming over to your house, with the hidden bath near or in the kitchen, I was fascinated!

Also baby sitting Hilary, and the things we used to get up to, your mum and dad leaving us a bottle of Shippos orangeade, and lemonade.

Remember the Sundays we would go fishing, was it Police pond? Wow, so many memories, some more in a bit, I have to get ready for work soon.

Paulus, I knew Manfred, but it wasnt Stans chip shop he bought, it was my old mate Roger Websters mum and dads place on the corner of Egypt and Cairo. He also had one in Dunkirk.

And Ashley, Stan had a helper in the shop, whose son was into motor bikes, I bet hes one of the guys you mention from Potters Terrace?

Brian, do you remember the bonfire we guarded to stop other gangs setting fire to them?

Any ways, have to go now, but Brian, post some more memories!

Ashley,

Thanks for the Photos of Potters & Northgate.............what memories, my first daughter was born there, she's nearly 40 now!!

Craig,

thanks for correcting my faulty memory of Manfred, I could only remember going in to a Basford |Chippie & seeing him serving chips!! all a bit surreal, as he previously only sold stuff that made your head swim................but that's another story................ :crazy::crazy::crazy:

So many people to answer....start with my old mate Brian, blimey mate, good to hear from you! What a great site this is!

My mum still lives there on Northgate, but my Auntie Kath, who moved away and married a very rich man, died about 5 years ago.

I remember coming over to your house, with the hidden bath near or in the kitchen, I was fascinated!

Also baby sitting Hilary, and the things we used to get up to, your mum and dad leaving us a bottle of Shippos orangeade, and lemonade.

Remember the Sundays we would go fishing, was it Police pond? Wow, so many memories, some more in a bit, I have to get ready for work soon.

Paulus, I knew Manfred, but it wasnt Stans chip shop he bought, it was my old mate Roger Websters mum and dads place on the corner of Egypt and Cairo. He also had one in Dunkirk.

And Ashley, Stan had a helper in the shop, whose son was into motor bikes, I bet hes one of the guys you mention from Potters Terrace?

Brian, do you remember the bonfire we guarded to stop other gangs setting fire to them?

Any ways, have to go now, but Brian, post some more memories!

Gingernutman1

To post a reply simply left click on the FastREPLY button under the topic, then just type away.before clicking on the addreply button in the box that you are typing in. No need to quote previous text

Craig, its wonderful to have made contact with you after all these years ! yes it was Police pond at Dunkirk were we went fishing.

My dad built the hidden bath in the kitchen, which was beneath a bath size kitchen worktop, he connected the taps to a gas copper which was sited in the cellar, very few people had a running bath in those days.

Yes I can remember having to guard our bonfire, was it sited on the cobbled street outside your house?

Can you remember going to Leno's cinema on saturday. Sorry to hear about your auntie Kath, but as least she married a very rich man, so hopfully she had the benifits that money can buy.

Cannot believe your mum still lives at the same house on Northgate, give my regards to her when you next see her.

All the best your old mate, Brian

Already told her we've made contact, shes delighted! Ah good old flea pit Lenos! Remember the man in the iron space suit we watched on Saturday afternoons?

How is Hilary by the way?

the boulevard was the real flea pit! Craig, did you ever go into back of Smith's factory on Egypt Road? about 1990 when I was looking for a suitable music rehearsal room was told underground "bunkers" in back of there, went to look but foreign gentlemen who then owned it not keen on me entering! (nothing racial intended, just lack of spoken english), On the other hand asian owners of factory next to wycliffe mills said I could have whole of basement at reasonable rent, we would have deafened half new basford though!

Gosh, yes I do remenber the man in the Iron space suit at Leno's, how sad ! do you remember the Yo-Yo competitions and the free suckers that was given to anyone whose birthday it was ?

Do you also remember the Grand cinema, which was sited just past the traffic lights at the top end of Hyson Green on the right hand side ?

Hilary is fine, she has moved house 17 times, living in Minehead in Somerset to Ayr in Scotland, she has now settled in Calverton.

I would like to see your mum, maybe next friday 3rd April and of course yourself, if thats possibile.

Regards, Brian.

By the way everybody, it's great to take part in this nostalgic journey back in time