yes The Grand, just below The Smith's Arms? it used to be old time music hall before it was a cinema, saw a couple of films there, it was ok but there were a load of pillars holding either balcony or roof up and if you got behind one you couldn't see much!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alpha and Jill Sparrow   Apologies for delay in replying.   Other memories are of walking past the garage at the top of Maud Street on the way to school and the delightful smell of some k

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the ro

Welcome to Nottstalgia merlin7. You may have already found this, but if not it might bring back a few memories.

Hi Brian, Ill ask her what her movements are, shes involved with a few things, housing associations, and such like, and is ofetn out to meetings, busy old bu99er aint she!!!

• 6 months later...

I was born at number 14 Constance Street in November 1944. A few years later, in 1947, we moved to Ekowe Terrace (On Ekowe Street) When I was five I went to the Northgate Basford Primary School. My first teacher there was a Miss Alford, the following year I went into Miss Jackson's class (A stern elderly lady) and the Year after that I joined Mr Beesley's class.A young, pleasant relaxed man. My final class was run by Miss Butcher. The headteacher was Miss Croydon.

Children's names I remember from that period were, Henry Wood, Alan Keetley, also his younger brother, John Keetley. Steven Sooter, Barry Holland, Jimmie Dalziel, Tommy Thorpe. There were lots of girls, but I only remember their first names: there was Sandra (She addressed everyone as "Duck") Gillian, Jean, Patricia,There was girl twins who lived on Northgate.

Someone in an earlier post mentioned the various smells and aromas that New Basford abounded with. I remember them well.especially the smell of beer being brewed at Shipstone's, it was particularly strong on Eland Street. then of course, there was the Gasworks on Radford Road and the Pickled onion factory on street (I can't remember which one)off of Northgate. We went for our school dinners just across the road from there.

My Granddad lived on Monsall street, and my uncle Harry lived near to Northgate.

In those days (The 1950s) side streets were all cobbled, and street lighting was by gaslight, very few people owned a car. and only a few had television My parents took my myself and my younger brother Alan to the pictures every week, often twice a week. Popular cinemas in the area were The Futurist, The Leno's The Apollo and the Bughole (The Boulevard) Me, my brother and Alan and Johnnie Keetley went to the Saturday children's matinee at the Leno's - it cost fourpence (pronounced fourpunss)to get in.

Several nights a week we went to the local youth club on Eland Street, and that is where I heard my first rock n roll music, and that was when the world began to change, The sixties being just a few short years away.

know the name keith but can't place you? there was a big Dawes family at top of gawthorne st somewhere? did you hang out with dick slater and pridmores? also recall the keetleys and sooty, worked with john in late 60's and remember both on and off till about 2000, Jimmy Dalziel, a scots youth,, night he got shot I did too but only in the hand, as I recall he lost an eye? Remember the Asher girls? Brenda Jean and Lyn? lived on chard terrace and that twin, did she live on potters terrace, Pat Stokes, Recall the youth club over the co-op on egypt rd

Thank you for the welcome and comments. I lived on Ekowe Terrace and apart from my Granddad who lived on Monsall Street and my Uncle Harry who lived on a street (The name escapes me) near to Northgate, as far as I am aware we had no other family in the area.

Alan Keetley and I were inseparable and virtually grew up together. His younger brother John was about the same age as my younger brother Alan. Johnny Keetley went on to do rather well at boxing.

Hi Martyn, yes, I have been in the motor trade (repairs) for about forty years - Do we know each other?

Sorry Ashley, I'm afraid I have never heard of Dick Slater, and the Pridmore's I also don't recall a youth club over the Co-op, on Egypt Road. The club our lot went to (1955 to 1959) was on Eland Street.

My mates at the time were Dereck Wild,(Lived in a grocery shop on Suez Street, Patrick Doyle (Bobber's Mill),Stuart Smith (Perry Road),Barry Haynes, better known as Slim (Zulu Road), Mostyn Edwards (Nottingham Road), Alan and John Keetley (Liddington Street) Alan being my best mate.

We hung about an area That was bounded by Northgate, Nottingham Road, Valley Road, and Radford Road.

Sorry to hear about Jimmie getting shot! I knew him because he lived in the next street (Chard Street)but we never became friends. He was a member of the Chard Street gang, dedicated (though passive) enemies of our lot.The only punch ups I ever got caught up in involved the Holland's from Northgate.

Violence was well down the list, Girls were at the top. followed by Rock n Roll, and rushing around the deserted streets on our bikes.

I'd just like to add that I am very glad I found this site, it really is very good. I have already recommended it to four friends, they will be surfing in tonight

Yes, heard it said John Keetley good enough to have turned pro, remember his capri scooter? on back of that one night and he hit a parked lorry on north gate, I landed in the back of it! defining moment in my life as next day couldn't walk and unable to meet up with my ex girlfriend to hopefully renew things, we went our seperate ways she marrying a mate of mine, years later we met up and found we could have made it together, aw well (boo hoo)

Always seemed to get in trouble with them 2! Alan borrowed my 500 triumph, he hadn't passed his test etc and put it through a fence and we both got done,then john and I went to skeggy on bike he wasn't insured for (unknown to me) and again both in court!

That slim you mention, did him (and heavier brother) live in one of only 2 council houses on Zulu Road? with a few girls living at old shop corner of Durnford St?

I remember the Hollands and the Butlers, always knicking our bonfire rubbish, talking of which remember David and Malcolm Holland of Chard St and the bonfire night they (as part of Chard St gang)used a gas lamp as centre support for their bonfire! resulting inferno burnt paint of front doors and blistered cars,lol

Re jimmy and me getting shot, only random sniper type shots with an air gun but as I said think he lost an eye

My very first pair of ice skates belonged to John Keetley( is that how you spell it, I thought it was Keightley?) Dunno why, but I seem to recall they came my way via Graham Pridmore.

As for the Hollands on Northgate, I used to be at Northgate Primary with Keith, and, sorry if you are reading this Keith, but you smelt!

Having just seen Durnford St mentioned, it reminded me that I saw Trevor Towle who lived there the other day, anyone else remember him?

Also, my very first job was sat The Coop on Egypt Rd, in fact I worked there whilst still at school, that also reminds me, I was doing a soul gig the other night and Ian Birkin came up and said hello, now, it is a flipping long time since Ive seen him, he lived just up from The Coop, on the same side

Also whilst at Northgate Primary, amongst my friends were two people, whose parents must have had a warped sense of humour.

There were 2 sisters, Marlene Rick, and her sister Pamela, who when she signed her name, it became PRick, and a lad whose name was Michael, nothing unusual so far, except his last name was Hunt, and obviously his first name was shortened to Mike....Mike Hunt, do you know Mike Hunt???????? !rotfl!

Yes, Barry Haynes (aka Slim) did live in one of the council houses on Zulu Road. I left the area in May 1960 and over the ensuing years slowly lost contact with nearly everyone of the old gang, that is, apart from Patrick Doyle. I recall an Ashley who lived on Nottingham Road,his house had an orchard at the rear. Ashley Durose (I have probably misspelled his name)

I began to play guitar in 1959, and played in several pop and rock groups throughout the sixties and seventies. I even guested a few times with Alvin Lee and Ten Years After. I was invited to join the band prior to them going to America - I turned them down!!! So anyway, I acquired a whole new batch of mates, most of the being musicians. The years slipped by and I met Alan and his wife a few times. Then, sadly, a few years ago I heard of his death, or rather read of it in the memoriam column of the Evening Post.

I have hardly ever visited New Basford since the early sixties, well, that is until quite recently, now during the course of my work I visit the area every week. If I can find the time (And I usually do) I have a drive round the old streets, and remember the old days. There has been a lot of change, but much that is still the same. Every street, every corner generates memories, and all of them good ones!

Hi Craig, you say you went to Northgate Primary School, I don't recall you at all. So I can't comment on whether you smelled or not. What period did you attend there, and what class were you in?

Yes the one and only! I too played in a couple of bands wonder we didn't cross paths, remember Alvin, used to follow his band The Jaybirds, crikey, didn't know Alan had died, what of? hadn't seen him for years then I did in Duke of Newcastle, just goes to show, he didn't recognize me, said I looked like an oap! just goes to show

Hi Keith, not surprised you dont know me from Northgate Primary if you left the area in 1960!

But, when I was there, the teachers and head mistress included Mr Beasley, Mr Clark, Mrs Gilbert, Miss Harrison the head, and thats about all I can remember!

Barry Haynes, is that the same guy who was on the fair?

Ashley, we probably did encounter each other in our pop group days. Just about everybodywas in a band in those days. I played in many bands, including, the Phantoms, The Renegades, etc. I last guested with Ten Years After at the Tavern in the Town on Parliament street. My favourite boast is that I taught him to play the intro from 'Baby Please Don't Go' The 1964 hit by Them (Van Morrison) Of course he is now at least a million times better player then me!(Make that 2 million)

Sorry Craig, you have definitely got me confused with some one else. I left the Northgate Primary school in 1955. which was probably before you even went there. Miss Croydon was headmistress, during my time time. There was another Dawes family that lived in the area, possibly near Palm Street, and the smelly. one you mentioned presumably belonged to that particular clan. I can assure you that my family, and the family's of all the people I have previously mentioned were all very well scrubbed (Not one pong between us)The teachers you mentioned were not there during the time that I was there. So ipso facto, you've got it wrong pal...

Possibly a retraction and apology?

Sorry Craig, you have definitely got me confused with some one else. I left the Northgate Primary school in 1955. which was probably before you even went there. Miss Croydon was headmistress, during my time time. There was another Dawes family that lived in the area, possibly near Palm Street, and the smelly. one you mentioned presumably belonged to that particular clan. I can assure you that my family, and the family's of all the people I have previously mentioned were all very well scrubbed (Not one pong between us)The teachers you mentioned were not there during the time that I was there. So ipso facto, you've got it wrong pal...

Possibly a retraction and apology?

Keith, I think a visit to Specsavers may be in order for you!

Take a look back to where you think I mention you.......the answer is nowhere, the Keith I refer to is Keith Holland, clearly printed for all to see, with no mention of your surname.

It says, and I quote "As for the HOLLANDS on Northgate, I was at Northgate Primary with Keith" ie Keith Holland, not you!

As for confusing you with someone else, I replied to your post only tell you the teachers that were there in my time, and at no stage did I say I knew you, or of you.

Now who needs to retract and apologise?

Re Barry Haynes, I believe it was his brother George who was working on the fair, George was bulkier than Barry I recall.

But wasn't it Ekowe St they lived at the bottom of? Ah, hang on, Zulu Rd meets Ekowe St at the bottom of Ekowe.

Ben Walters..........rings no bells at all!

Ashley, I might have mentioned this before, but there was a lad who lived in one of the terraces on Nothgate, whose dad worked part time at Stans chip shop, he had a bike, but I cant remember his name.....was it Dave something?