I recall the dry cleaners, after my mum left when I was aged 13 just me and dad at home, used to take weekly washing there, a few years later when 18 had a right crash outside there, on back of john keetleys scooter, ran into back of parked lorry, how he survived I don't know, scooter total write off and I finished up in back of lorry after hitting my knee on tailboard on way! it changed my life! was due to meet my ex next day for reconciliation, course it never happened as I was laid up, she thought I was not interested (no house phones then, let alone mobiles) and by time I could walk had met someone else! boo-hoo

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alpha and Jill Sparrow   Apologies for delay in replying.   Other memories are of walking past the garage at the top of Maud Street on the way to school and the delightful smell of some k

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the ro

Welcome to Nottstalgia merlin7. You may have already found this, but if not it might bring back a few memories.

Ages since I was on here, but anyway, the Tomlinsons shop you refer to was my auntie's place,

I also went to school with James Kearney/Cairney

I know, James Cairney is my younger brother, I remember you as a baby as well, bet you don't remember me

I know, James Cairney is my younger brother, I remember you as a baby as well, bet you don't remember me

No I don't...or do I?

Do I remember your mum s name as Jean, and you also had a probably younger sister too, possibly another brother?

• 10 months later...

I’ve been a member since February 2011 and have mainly followed and contributed to the Ellis School Topic. It is only recently that I’ve had a look at other Basford related items and I’m amazed at the number of stories, places and names that I can relate to. What a shame that I wasn’t in touch with Nottstalgia 5/6 years ago.

Four members in particular have been corkscrewing into my memory bank. These guys; Newbasfordlad; Ashley; Keith Dawes and Craig Strongman have put forward recollections that I could well have written myself. Let me just add a couple of additional anecdotes to these memories.

Firstly, I was born in Chard Street in 1941 and left at age 15 so I have a vague recollection of the war ending and the street party etc., and then the following 10 years before moving.

1947 winter was brilliant. Sledging down Chard Street went on for weeks. Rules were that as you walked back up after a run you were obliged to stand and check the cross roads; Zulu Road etc. If your mates were on their way down you could give them advanced warning that a vehicle was coming and they could then bail out in time. Another obstacle was the igloo’s and dens that had been built at the side of the street.

Someone said the bonfire was built around the gas lamp outside Mrs. Cox’s house directly opposite Liddington Street. I never knew of that but I well recall that the older lads and dads always built the fire directly over the water stopcock box smack in the middle of the junction and that always foxed the Firemen. Can I also say that I don’t recall us raiding Palm Street gang’s stash of fire rubbish. Palm Street gang had too much of a reputation for being hard. I do recall stand-offs between Chard St. And Palm St. in no-mans-land from time to time. Anyway we always had such good rubbish contacts and a brilliant supply chain network that we didn’t need to send out raiding parties (Apart from perhaps dropping in on Ekowe Street occasionally). Crazy days; crazy menfolk.

Let me throw in a few Chard Street names of friends from that time and ask if any members have info. about them.

Mick Kerry; George Dalziel; Keith Parrott; Barry Davis; Terry Kettle; Bruce, Keith and Jack ? Gardner (Brilliant Concert Whistler and a boxer); John Burrows; Malcolm Clark; David and Malcolm Holland.

A few names from Egypt Road Infants School.

Tony Tatton; Jessie May; Brian Abbott; Peter Littlewood; Andrea Morrow; Silvia Ward.

A few years older than me but I recall some of the names you've come up with, knew the Holland Brothers and somebody (Jimmy?) Dalziel, this one lost an eye in an air gun attack, same night I was shot in the hand by the same youth, no names but he got borstal or something I recall, remember Bruce Gardner and know most of the names of the others mentioned, some of a similar age to me were the Keetley Brothers, think spelt thus, Martin Wilson, Steve Sutton Pete Osbourne, Melvin Hamilton, and the "Asher girls". plus Mick Fern, twins John and Pat Stokes plus John Sheldon. Didn't know The Palm St Gang by that name, was that the one with the Hollands and the Butlers in it?

Not sure if it was on a sledge or a trolley now I think about it but somebody actually went under a lorry on Zulu Rd between the front and back wheels after coming down Chard Street totally out of control with no chance of stopping, as you say somebody was on guard duty at the crossroads, a David Marriott who had a dry sense of humour, when "only a lorry" was shouted back in response to "Is anything coming?" it was assumed he was joking!

Now then; Egypt Road School; yes I remember Miss Jackson; a very prim and proper spinster lady teacher. Also Mr. Clark; maths teacher.

Some autographs below of teachers. That Mrs Butcher smack my knuckles with a ruler because I'd painted grass some colour other than green. Yes I'm colour blind.

img211_zpsd5661027.jpg

Right then. This one is aimed at Craig Strongman especially.

Some how or other I meet your dad Les when I was a kid living in Chard Street in about 1950. Now whether I met him through my eldest brother or a neighbour I don't recall but you and yours must have lived somewhere nearby. Your dad took my autograph book and collected a page full of signings of Panthers players for me and a programme (now lost). That was a very kind thing to do for a 9 year old. I vaguely knew who he was and I certainly knew who Chick Zamick was. News paper report of sport were devoured by me. You will see that Archie Stinchcombe's autograph is there also. I've no doubt you'll know a few of these guys.

img212_zpsd4d45c71.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Beduth,

You are a few years older than me, but a lot of the places and people you mention certainly ring bells!

Can I correct you on the Egypt rd school name?

Although it was indeed on that road, it was called Northgate primary, but there were still some of the teachers you mention when I got there.

As for the Panthers autographs, they were done for you two years before I was born, but yes I did meet some of the other players later on, in fact I became friends with Archie and Gwen Singecombe in later years when I took up karate and bought my " gi" from their shop on Alfreton Rd.

You were right about my dad living close by to you, it was actually at 86 Northgate, exactly opposite Bob and Sadie Cartwrights beer off

You mention a boy with the surname Dalziel, I was at Northgate primary with a kid called Andrew Dalziel, who we used to call razzle dazzle, wonder if it could have been your mates younger brother?

The " Battles" between the gangs I spoke about were round about 1965, so different kids I'd say.

Anyway, keep those memories coming!

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your response. And of course you are right about Northgate Primary. Take it as an age thing. I should know the correct name, my mother went to the School when she was a child and that would be 1919 to 1925. I took a copy of an aerial photo from 'Britain from above' to show her recently; only the boys were in their playground and the girls were still in class, so we couldn't identify her. LOL. But she would have definately been in School when the photo was taken in 1922. 100th birthday coming up in April.

Andrew Dalziel must have been one of the family across the street from me. I was mates with George but they were a big family with a few younger ones.

Clearly the battle tradition continued. Truce now I hope.

You mention a boy with the surname Dalziel, I was at Northgate primary with a kid called Andrew Dalziel, who we used to call razzle dazzle, wonder if it could have been your mates younger brother?

Wasn't Andy Dalziel one of the pair in Dalziel and Pascoe? isitsafe

Yes you're right Craig, Dalziel family lived in Chard St., first house down on the left from Liddo corner. It's all gone now of course, both sides down to Zulu Rd. I think I recall a Dalziel sister named Neta or similar. They were a Scottish family. When you were kids, a couple of years age difference and you didn't associate with them, did you? Lads of around my age (Born '41) were all in a loyal gang together. We had our own exclusive toboggan slope in the winter and trolley run in summer. Our football goal was Mrs. Fletcher's gable wall and her front door was one of the posts. How she put up with it I'll never know. 'Tin lurky' and 'Kingy' was played at the junction and cricket was played along the pavement. Crazy bonfires; well I've told you about them.

Another memory comes to mind:-

With the wind in the right direction, standing at the top of Chard Street and looking down the hill (north) you could hear the roar of jet engines being tested at Rolls Royce Hucknall. I seem to think we had a lot of Meteor's and Canberra's flying over around that time also. Early fifties and I'm sure there was an air show at Hucknall. You could see loads of parachutes decending in the distance. Wasn't the 'fiying bedstead' developed there as well?

Don't recall lots of planes from Hucknall, more likely the same test plane going over and over? we were on the "final circuit" for Hucknall and as well as getting .... a continuous morse homing signal on our radio we'd get planes directly overhead, ones I recall were a 5 engined lancaster, a turbo prop elizabethan, the canberra that crashed at Bulwell common, (saw that flying over Claremont school smoke pouring from it on it's last flight} a P1 Lightening (saw that after it had overshot the runway covered in green taupaulin on edge of woods) and the Vulcan, (was at Syerston when it crashed 1958) AM I JINXED! though can't be blamed for the flying bedstead when that crashed killing it's test pilot on a tethered test at Hucknall. Could actually see the planes on the runway from our garden, as well as trainspot on the former GCR between Perry & Haydn Rd's via binoculars to get the numbers from there, lol Yes they had air displays at Hucknall, recall one year a lot later when a flight of USAF jets beat the place up during one killing quite a few animal s at"Hucknall Zoo" as they came in over it at zero feet

Well I did look in case I made myself look a right ********* and I still can't see it. Is your computer different to mine. Have copied and pasted what on my computer is 136

Hi Ashley,

Sorry I didn't pick up your post identifying exactly where the Dalziel family lived.

I was right then; you could see Hucknall from Chard St. Rosetta Rd. Nottingham Road. Thanks for that.

Train spotting. After school across Nottm Road; up to 'second field' to spot the Master Cutler 'namer'. The second field was where we would spend many hours making dens etc. during summer holidays. Around dinner time (now called lunch) I would have to look out for Mother waving a towel from the back bedroom window; telling me and pals to get home for the meal. I had many a squashed penny off that railway line and coal that had fallen off the wagons.

Well I did look in case I made myself look a right ********* and I still can't see it. Is your computer different to mine. Have copied and pasted what on my computer is 136

Razzle dazzle was mentioned in the second to last paragraph.

Make that the third paragraph, as there's a solitary line at the end.