Pianoman

I think the confusion here is caused by the fact that it looks like you did a " quote" from my post about razzle dazzle, except it didn't state that it was a quote, thanks to my daughter for pointing that out to me!

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alpha and Jill Sparrow   Apologies for delay in replying.   Other memories are of walking past the garage at the top of Maud Street on the way to school and the delightful smell of some k

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the ro

Welcome to Nottstalgia merlin7. You may have already found this, but if not it might bring back a few memories.

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the road was a butchers and a greengrocers, on the corner with Durnford Street was a chip shop run by Mr and Mrs green, they had a daughter called Linda, she was one of my friends, used to go there on thursday nights to watch the telly, Liberace and superman and a plate of chips, lovely memories. Going on down Egypt Road there was a grocer cum off licence and opposite here was a cobblers, which was just a large wooden shed really then at the bottom of the road was our local phone box. The round the corner here we meet Eland Road which had a row of shops, a sweet shop/newsagent, a barbers, a toy shop. I was born at number 5 Chelmsford Terrace Chelmsford Road but lived from when I was 2 at number 9 I was a Griffin in those days.

• Upvote 2

Welcome Merlin and thanks for resurrecting this topic,not seen it before.......Nice to see Marsdens get a couple of mentions,i worked there just for a couple of weeks in about 1961,and remember the Manager Mr Horton who I believe was there for many years,also recall we kept the Bacon down a deep cellar,and it was one of those shops where customers would meet and chat,we even provided chairs for em.

If memory serves me right Marsdens was on the corner of Northgate and Gawthorne st and opposite was Weldons dairy?.whos daughter Diane turned me down for a date.............lol.

• Upvote 1

.. on the corner with Durnford Street was a chip shop run by Mr and Mrs green, they had a daughter called Linda, she was one of my friends, used to go there on thursday nights to watch the telly, Liberace and superman and a plate of chips, lovely memories.

Is this the chip shop ? According to PTP it's the junction of Egypt Road & Ekowe Street.

egypt_zpsfmviqppp.jpg

• Upvote 1

I remember alot of the names, places etc in new basford fom those days which can't be bad, esp as a few months ago couldn't remember what year it was, in hospital and care home for 5 weeks with hepitis e, jaundice and by liver failure caused by over perscription of anti biotics, at one point I was critical and it was "touch and go", anyway I made it, lost nearly 3 stone and had to pay £650 care home fee's (£3000 if I wasn't a skint oap) still having carers visit me 4 times a day, bit of a waste really as got permission to drive again last month and out in car or on tiger 90 alot but that's up to NHS

Back on topic I always thought Durnford st was 2nd on the right from Nottingham Rd on Zulu Rd? didn't get around where that shown Chip shop was because the Chambers and Butlers gang territory! but recall the gas board fitting the chip shop fryer, a guy named Billy or his brother Jimmy who lived on Berridge Rd was on the crew fitting it, excuse spelling errors etc, another symtome of my hospital trip!

ps, both Durnford and Chelmsford roads etc named after the officers in charge of the British Army slaughtered in the Zulu War before Rorkes Drift etc

• Upvote 2

Your right Ashley Durnford Street was of Zulu Road.

That chip shop was as quoted Egypt Road Ekowe St. The camera man has his back to Nottinham Road and is facing downhill toward Radford Road.

Welcome Merlin but I think your mixing up some road names. Not Eland Rd but Eland St and I think you are on Zulu Rd not Egypt Road.

The cobblers on the corner in a dark brown wooden shed was actually on the corner of Zulu Rd and Pearson St. As you say on the corner of Zulu Rd and Eland St was a phone box, do you remember the red and white soft top parked the that belonged to the barber who's shop was just round the corner.

Ashley re#156. I wonder if you are talking about my cousins. I had an aunt and uncle who had a chippy on Berridge Rd, they had 2 sons Billy and Jimmy Whitlam.

I can remember Northgate as we ran a shop on Nottingham Road which once belonged to Gordon Ingham................

Yes it was the older of the whitlams, funnily enough they (the family) ran a chip shop on berridge road and later the mum had it as a clothes/haberdashery shop, my wife then girfriend bought a pair of "Lucy Durose" Nylons there pre 1970 as we then moved away, I still have the packet, on it is a photo of a little girl sat on a victorian ladies knee, according to my auntie that little girl was her auntie! tried to track down history of such but no luck

And yes I do remember Ingrams shop, if I've got my facts right we lived 8 doors away on other side of Rosetta Rd across from Mrs Woods and later Mr Love's sweets and cigarette shop, left there in 1964, remember talking to Ingrams store new owner in later years, remember he had been good footballer (your husband?) with me nearly joining Notts County we talked alot, (only one thing stopped me playing for them, I simply wasn't good enough!) lol

Been busy fitting bath shower screen, kitchen worktop new washing machine and cooker hood, that's it now, knackered, so time for a few memories, the cobbler in a shed was indeed on the corner of Zulu Rd and Pearon Street in the corner the the playground of "Dowson's Nursary" (at least I think it was dowsons, not sure of spelling of nursary since my poisoning either).

The red and white sports car as mentioned did belong to the barbers "Banhams" but not sure if the old man,s Les or his son who played for Nottingham Forest, It was a Austin Metropolitan which was well known model for tipping over on bends as they ha d a very narrow wheel base (distance of wheels aprt on same axle)

I don't know the area, but PTP have a photo of it. This is the corner of Zulu Road / Pearson Street and the shed on the left belongs to the cobbler who, according to PTP, was called Mr Hufton.

zulu%20road_zpsgk29v17d.jpg

• Like 1

Ashley your not doing bas my friend to remember the barbers name, the memories come flooding back.

Thanks again Cliff that's the place, the man was there for years, portly chap but very affable did a darn good job on your shoes as well.

• 1 month later...

Anyone recall that bloke in the mid-eighties who used to down a pint and dash on to the next boozer?

He'd start at The Old General, and end up at The Fox or The Haven..this guy took a bat 'round to the letter... I think he worked at Shippo's.

• 2 weeks later...

my sister Rita and me,mum and dad Karl and Annie veikens lived at 3 high church street,new basford next to orgills from 1961-1978 the council knocked the houses down me and my sister went to northgate primary in the 1970s miss harrison was the head mr cafrey was a teacher {who by the way is serving 17 years in jail for touching the kids up}.we remember stans,orgills,sadies,simpsons,etc if anyone remembers us would love to hear from you

We ran a shop called ' Lynn and Malc's on Nottingham Road New Basford fron 1986 -96 ( opposite ELS ) - It belonged to tht misery Gordon Ingham before us...............

Blondie, the business across the road from your shop was originally 2 firms, mayfair manufacturing who did some risque underwear outfits downstairs, and walker reid (or was it read?) who stocked similar items in their warehouse above, had a girlfriend, the love of my life who worked at the latter, lol

• 3 months later...

Veikenspearl1967,

i know now it's been ages since you posted, but I only get on here every blue moon.

Anyway, I grew up on Northgate exactly opposite Sadies 'beer off' and remember all the places you mention.

i too went to Northgate Primary earlier than you did, but Miss Harrison was there back then.

My very first job, including part time whilst I was still at Claremont, was at the CooP on Egypt Rd, remember there?

• 3 months later...

I lived in Scotts Yard when I was born then moved to 4 Rye Street when I was about 2 years old, I left to live at Bestwood Park when I was 9. My parents meet when my mam moved to Rye Street when she was 10, my dad, Jim Townsend lived in the first house and my mam Mary Law lived in the last house. I used to play with Maria form Rowena's hair dressers. Bakers the butchers was on the corner of Rye Street and Evens corner shop was on the corner of Chelsea Street. Jim Mitson was the landlord of The Eland pub on Northgate, next to Casey Court.

On 19 October 2009 at 0:16 AM, Craig Strongman said:

Just on the opposite corner of Casey Ct was Steven and John Burtons house, Fay Miles, up a few, towards my mums at 86 was the Cliffords house, on Palm St there were the Roses and the Knights, back onto Northgate heading towards Bob and Sadies beer off was Brian Prince (gingernut) the Butlers on the corner opposite, and the Stuarts.

More names as I recall them.

Brian Prince, did he have a sister Hilary?

Welcome to Nottstalgia,Ponsarny. I have memories of the area during my early childhood and visiting my great auntie at 24 Suez Street where my great grandparents had lived.  Look forward to reading more of your memories.