Hi and welcome Ponsarny, I lived on Rosetta road so remember the places you talk about well.

That pub on Northgate wasn't the Eland that was at the junction of Eland street and Radford road opposite the gasworks gates. I remember the pub you refer to as you say just down from Casey's Court, same side and set back from the road, white place with two front windows I think. All we need now is someone to remember the name because I am buggered if I can. If I know Clif-ton he might well come up with a picture................

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alpha and Jill Sparrow   Apologies for delay in replying.   Other memories are of walking past the garage at the top of Maud Street on the way to school and the delightful smell of some k

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the ro

Welcome to Nottstalgia merlin7. You may have already found this, but if not it might bring back a few memories.

• 2 months later...

I've been researching some family history for an old school friend and, according to the 1939 register, her father was living at 9 Hope Cottages, Maud Street, New Basford. Does anyone recall these? Were they a row of Victorian terraced houses which have now possibly been absorbed into the numbering of Maud Street, which still exists? Or have they been demolished?  Any information or memories of these houses would be read with interest. The only information I can find is a CWGC reference to a soldier whose home address was 12 Hope Cottages.

From what I've seen on Google, Elson Street is now an industrial area with no housing remaining. Looks pretty derelict. My friend remembers going to see her paternal grandma in a house on Rosetta Road which, I think, was where she died, having lived in a number of houses in that area.

• Upvote 1

I'm finding, as I look through the census returns for my friend's paternal line, that they moved about a great deal in this area. Ekowe Street, Palm Street, Rosetta Road, Maud Street. My friend was always told that her parents met at the Horse & Groom pub in that area. She's amazed at the information available, as her father didn't know anything about his own father who died when he was a child. Another convert to family history, I suspect!

My own great grandparents lived in Northgate, Eland Street and, finally, Suez Street. Much earlier, they lived in, of all places, MANNING Street! Errrrrrggggghhhh! A precursor of their great granddaughter's future misery?  

The map showing Lenton Street is interesting and I have forwarded it on. The names are not related. We are looking at Humphreys which I have traced back to 1851. Other lines fan out to Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Staffordshire. Easier to trace than my own family tree was but there was no internet in the early 70s!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

To Jill Sparrow 

I have only just come across this particular web site - i lived at number 11 Hope Cottages, Maud Street, Basford  from the late 60s to the mid 70s - I don't know when the cottages were demolished but yes they were a row of terraced houses.  Ours was the very last one in the row, you had to be on Maud Street and go up a few steps to enter the row of 'Hope Cottages'.     When I viewed the Maud Street on google maps it seems new houses have filled in the gap that the demolish of these houses left.  

None of the houses had a bathroom and all had an outside loo.  With us being the last house in the row we had more in the way of privacy by means of a fence and gate, some houses did not fence their back yards off and some did.  The front of the houses had a nice little front door, own front garden, all of these were fenced off and had some sort of grass/blue brick paved front area.  The back doors all had a good 2/3 large steps up to the back door, the houses also had coal cellars.  They were a two up and two down type house i.e 2 bedrooms upstairs, front room and kitchen/dining room downstairs.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Sonia, and thanks for your information which I will pass to my friend whose ancestors also lived in one of the cottages many years ago. It is always nice to find a link with vanished places.  We would love to hear other memories you have of the area which has changed so much over the last few decades.

9 hours ago, sonia jawaski said:

To Jill Sparrow 

I have only just come across this particular web site - i lived at number 11 Hope Cottages, Maud Street, Basford  from the late 60s to the mid 70s - I don't know when the cottages were demolished but yes they were a row of terraced houses.  Ours was the very last one in the row, you had to be on Maud Street and go up a few steps to enter the row of 'Hope Cottages'.     When I viewed the Maud Street on google maps it seems new houses have filled in the gap that the demolish of these houses left.  

None of the houses had a bathroom and all had an outside loo.  With us being the last house in the row we had more in the way of privacy by means of a fence and gate, some houses did not fence their back yards off and some did.  The front of the houses had a nice little front door, own front garden, all of these were fenced off and had some sort of grass/blue brick paved front area.  The back doors all had a good 2/3 large steps up to the back door, the houses also had coal cellars.  They were a two up and two down type house i.e 2 bedrooms upstairs, front room and kitchen/dining room downstairs.

Good morning Sonia,

Did you know of a family with the name of Alcock, they had two daughters and the street in the diagram appear familiar as it terminates at the works wall.

My aunt worked at the instrument works for many years, painting lumiescent (radium) on dials. One reflection of her's was that she moistened the small paint brush on her lips to keep the bristles fine for more intricate work!

No H&S then nor were the implications known of radioactive poisoning untill the mid 70's when this kind of work was closed down.