I was born there, well the City Hospital to be exact, and would like to hear from anyone who lived there, or on any of the streets around there, Palm st, High Church st, Monsall St, Egypt rd, Eland st, Haydn rd etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alpha and Jill Sparrow   Apologies for delay in replying.   Other memories are of walking past the garage at the top of Maud Street on the way to school and the delightful smell of some k

I remember right at the top of Egypt Road was Blanchards the bakers, we called it the bakehouse, you could but your bread straight from there, they also sold bags of broken biscuits. Further up the ro

Welcome to Nottstalgia merlin7. You may have already found this, but if not it might bring back a few memories.

I used to live on Hollis Street and Sandon Street with my parents in the 50,s early 60's before moving on, my father was commisionaire at the lace factory on Hollis Street, Hewetsons I think it is spelt like that, he used to use The Pelham Pub,and the one junction Sandon Street and Nottingham Road.I went to school off Sandon Street at the bottom turn left and on the right , there was a Bakery Shop next to school, then there was the Co-op on Sandon Street still can remember our old share number .

I lived on Egypt Road apparently until 1956 when me dad died, I was 4 at the time, and we then had to move in with me gran in Radford (behind the old swimming pool in a terraced house before they were demolished to make way for them flats)

We had the shop on the end - an electrical business, but just a house now. I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow.

• 9 months later...

Didn't live near there but I did find an interesting fact the other day about this area. Did you know that one of Nottingham's lost villages was somewhere near the junction of Eland Street and Radford Road? It was called Algarthorpe (no, I'd not heard of it either). Looksie at this chaps site - it's fascinating!

http://www.diplomate.freeserve.co.uk/dmv.htm

Rissy:)

• 8 months later...
Facinating link there Rissy ta very much

There was (so I'm told) another lost village in the area where whitemoor avenue joins nuthall rd, probably something in it as there were lots of old cottages on the avenue and surrouding area , some industry and churches/chapels, maybe coming of the ring road destroyed such? though maybe earlier as I think we'd know more? Whitemoor Avenue (or Road?) for those who don't know starts opposite Murphy's Chemicals (former Prince of Wales Brewery) there was a pub near the start, it then runs to top of bailey street, prior to the whitemoor estate it ran across to where wilkindon street and the other end is, was quite the "main Road" My dad cycled it daily as part of his trip to work from Vernon road to Furze on Traffic Street

Used to walk along North Gate on the way to Claremont when it was on Berridge Road, used to have friends that lived near the Nottingham Road junction plus some that lived in the flat above the old Post Office. Used to occasionally go in the Star for a beer.

I actually almost bought one of those newish houses that were built opposite the two pubs but pulled out when I realised how small they were going to be.

Although I lived in Valley Road, my local during the early 60's was the Royal Oak, Sherwood Rise, is it still there?

The Landlord was a guy called Ken ?? and his wife Doris, he used to work at Oscofts before taking the pub.

For some reason we used to stand in the passage when supping.

Yes Royal Oak still there, across road was les varney's barber shop, good barber, ok if you had an hour or two to spare! on next corner hollis st was Raftevolds grocers, sold some great cobs 1d each used to get one on way home from claremont primary, anyone remember Mick Fearn, John Stokes or Frank Jablonski? would all be 63 now!

• 2 months later...
born at 7 palm street my granda cropley's house we lived at 11 palm street.We moved to fisher street then onto hyson green in 1957. Anyone remember Mary Bee ? Micky Gascoigne, Shirley Meakin,Patty and John Webster. Now live in the north east,

My mum is still friends with Patty, sadly John died a while back, in fact Patty used to baby sit me!

There were lots of shops on Northgate, ill try and remember them........ Baxters, and Stans chip shops. Breffits, and Sandersons, butchers Cartwrights and Walkers off licences. Tweeds the dairy, Timothy Whites chemists, Orgills clothing etc, Wallis's tv and radio, Guys hardware and parafin Butlers, hardware and wallpaper shop, Rogers, and Dixons barbers, Rowena hairdressers, there were a couple of cobblers shops, Penns tobacconist and sweets, a paper shop, The Eland Inn, Alan and Kevin a gay couple who had the corner shop at the jct of Northgate and Monsall st, there are more, just got to remember them!

As for a few names, Steven and Paul Clifford, Steven Burton, Brian Prince, James Kierney, The Hollands of Casey court, John Ouchin, Fay Miles, Peter Grant, whose folks had the Greengrocers, opposite to Alan and Kevs, thats all I can recall for now, more added later.

Does anyone recall the Craggs?

As I've mentioned before, my local in the early 60's was the Royal Oak.

My drinking buddies were amongst others, Ron and Sheila Cragg, and Ron's brother Tom and his wife Vera, they both had daughters who's names escape me at the moment.

They lived just behind the Oak somewhere and I lived down Valley Road.

Regards.

Would this gay couples shop have been what used to be Mrs Vickerstaffs opp the cobblers? south side of North gate on the right? Can you remember Peter Grant's sister? my first date, can't recall first name though! one I do remember though was Anne Mead on Rosetta Rd !yowza! There was another shop end of Potters Terrace, used to sell household junk,

I remember watching the Blacksmith shoeing horses and the Northgate Dairy. Also the

big acid carbouys on that site. There was Pete's Hardware at the junction of Mount Street. I used to carry gallons of paraffin for the Paula Warmer. Marsdens shop... and always the white tracks of the Shipstones drays on the road. My first ever pint, in the Star.

yea Tweeds Dairy, Orgill's stores and Woolley's sweet shop, (I think their son swam in England Team?) that Pete you mention? surname was Butler, in later years he had a BSA Gold Star, and I've just remembered that girls name Leslie Grant, there was also I think a plumbers and a barbers, somewhere behind the latter was part of shippo's that before they took it over was Basford Brewery? Remember Wheldon and Wilkinson's? was told their chimney was highest in Nottingham? certainly tall and massive across at bottom, dwarfed the terrace houses that backed onto it, in summer they used to have the boilerhouse shutter doors up, about 5 massive boilers blazing away, looked like the titanics to me!

I certainly remember those boilers at Weldon & Wilkinsons. I stoked them for a month and gave up a weeks holidays to service them. I crawled into a lot of holes I could never get through now. I also stood up to my knees in hot ashes on the roof, shovelling the ashes onto a lorry for disposal. I must have been mad. What was also memorable was the plethora of different smells in the area as you walked from place to place. The hops at Shipstones, the bleaches and softeners at Weldons, the soaps at Gerards factory on Wilkinson Street (remember the 'INO soapflakes wash the best', sign)? and of course the smell of freshly baked bread at Morleys bakery on Gawthorne Street and the Pyclet factory on Albany Road. A veritable treat for the olfactory nerve.

co-incidence there, I also did a weeks casual work in that boilerhouse in the 60's

during holiday fortnight, you didn't happen to find a black roll neck "beatles" shirt there did you? if so email me, i'll pop over and fetch it! lol :biggrin:

Would this gay couples shop have been what used to be Mrs Vickerstaffs opp the cobblers? south side of North gate on the right? Can you remember Peter Grant's sister? my first date, can't recall first name though! one I do remember though was Anne Mead on Rosetta Rd !yowza! There was another shop end of Potters Terrace, used to sell household junk,

Yep, you got it, funny thing, I couldnt remember Petes sis at all! Talking of girls, what about Susan Green, remember her? She lived on Monsall St, near to Penns on the corner, I could tell a tale, but I wont!

Whilst we are talking shops etc,not on Northgate, but nearby on Egypt....or should that say T'Egypt??? road, there was the co op I started my earning cycle at, actually, it was on a cycle too, cos the boss would often get me delivering groceries on a bike with a basket on!

Further down there was Websters chippy, Roger and his family, Ash, do you remember the bike he had? A clue, it was Italian...........

Can recall a chip shop on Egypt Road in fact remember it opening,but in later years, as I recall across from a cobblers shop? don't recall that girl mentioned but remember the co op and square dance and youth club held in room above it (also the garages round the back of it but like your story the reason why not to be told here!) only Italian bike I knew in Basford was Dick Slater's Itom, he lived on Gawthorne Street

only Italian bike I knew in Basford was Dick Slater's Itom, he lived on Gawthorne Street

,,, don't know if you saw it Ash, but I had a post running some weeks ago about an ITOM that I bought. Am trying to find a picture of it (or a very similar one) Mine was in racing fettle, & came from Snetterton, where - apparently - it held some speed record (takes a bit of believing for such a tiny motor). Course I have no idea of the guys name or address - it was a three-way swap.

Someone did post an article on thes pages for me, on ITOM in general (thanks again) but nothing like mine - full fairing etc etc.

Sorry to kidnap thread,,,,,,,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to work for a plumbing company at the bottom of Sherwood rise,,, they had a workshop just off Haydn Road. As mentioned,,,, the smells around the area were great (mostly).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MARTYN: Did the 'Craggs' have a mobile shop (very early 60's) ?

Nah, Rogers bike was a 250 Ducatti, which, with its left foot kick start would let your leg have a nasty shock if it didnt start, due to the compression of the engine!

Afew more names that spring to mind from the area...Mick Selby, who became Harry the window cleaners side kick, didnt he have a Velo? Paul Holland, who had a 500 Goldie, Mary Brierly, Liz Hulmes, my ex, Sue Chapman, another ex, Paul and Tony and Gloria "sprouter" Jackcon, thats what Pete Butler and Paul used to call her!

yes remember Mary, lived at end house next to Wheldon's garage, and Mick Selby, can't recall him with a bike? didn't he become a wrestler? also remember Mick Fearn, Brian Bridges and Christine Catchpole plus the Snowdon sisters all off Egypt Rd

I grew up on Gawthorne Street opposite the school mentioned earlier - Beech Avenue Infants was next to Morleys Bakery. When the shop was closed we used to fetch bread from the bakehouse at the back. I also watched the blacksmith on Northgate as someone else mentioned.