Memorial remembering the 7 crew of an Halifax bomber that crashed on it's way back from Operations on the 6th July 1944, RIP

farnsfield_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 2

The below is from my post back in 2018 it provides a little more detail

Has anyone been to the Halifax bomber memorial at Farnsfield? It commemorates the crew of Halifax bomber MZ 519 LK-U based in Burn Yorkshire that was returning from a mission to bomb the V1 launch sites at Croix-Dalle in France that lost their lives when their aircraft crashed just outside the rural village of Farnsfield.

I have been there and found it quite moving in that the villagers of Farnsfield set up the trust for the memorial and over three hundred trees were planted in a little copse including two Canadian maples in memory of the Canadian crew member who lost his life. The plane crashed on 6 July 1944, just over 74 years ago, The crew ranged in ages from 19 to 24

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Oz, I agree with you about it being quite a moving experience just being there, if anyone does want to visit the site it is sign posted from the village, well worth a visit as are all memorials to those who made the ultimate sacrifice

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For those that know Farnsfield, if you are heading towards Southwell you turn right at what used to be the Warwick Arms, now the CO-OP. It is well sign-posted but you will go down some narrow country lanes but as plantfit said it is well worth the effort.

• Like 1