Cake and more cake!

I have so many cookery books in English, Sicilian and Italian regional cooking but for cakes and biscuits the Bero book is always at hand. I can always tweak the recipes and they turn out great. At the moment I’m helping my daughter with Christmas goodies. For the last few weeks orders have been flooding in for Christmas cake, gingerbread houses and now she wants some melting moments and ginger nuts both decorated.Tomorrow she has to start with chocolate bark.Plus cooking for 40-50 at lunch time.

35 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I made these for the local children down at the village hall

Ginger_bread_men.jpg

Rog

Very cute, love gingerbread

• Like 1

Thankyou  , the small ones perch on the side of a cup or mug.

PF that’s ones of the things we still have to do Baby, big brother , big sister , mum and dad and even grand parents, house smells only of ginger and cinnamon, plus melting moments and ginger nuts with christmassy decorations.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Thankyou  , the small ones perch on the side of a cup or mug.

PF that’s ones of the things we still have to do Baby, big brother , big sister , mum and dad and even grand parents, house smells only of ginger and cinnamon, plus melting moments and ginger nuts with christmassy decorations.

I have a set of pastry cutters with mum,dad and little ones, I enjoy making them for the children down the village hall, I make "eccles mince pies" for the adults or sometimes  nice lemon drizzle cake with whiskey in the icing sugar, (naughty but nice)

Rog

• Upvote 1

The Good Housekeeping book is available on Amazon and am sure would be on eBay 

PF how do you make ECCLES mince pies. I made 8 jars of mince meat a few weeks ago so will have to try them as years ago I threw away my patty tins for mince pies and invested in some Lakeland tins but they aren’t the right shape. But they make lovely mini sandwich cakes.

4 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Go to British corner shop .

Thanks nonnaB

I did have a look. The only one they list as Jamaica Ginger Cake is labelled as a "Sticky pudding cake", not sure that this is what I am looking for and at over 4 quid for 200 grams (nearly AU$8) and a shipping cost of 26 quid AU$56 for a 10 kg box of products, I think I'll be going without as I doubt if I could find 9.8kg of other stuff I'd want that you can't get a decent option or the same product here.

10 hours ago, nonnaB said:

PF how do you make ECCLES mince pies. I made 8 jars of mince meat a few weeks ago so will have to try them as years ago I threw away my patty tins for mince pies and invested in some Lakeland tins but they aren’t the right shape. But they make lovely mini sandwich cakes.

Shop bought puff pastry rolled out to 2-3mm thick, using a round pastry cutter 75mm cut out the circles, brush egg wash around the edges and place one teaspoon of mince in the middle of the circle, fold the edges to form a little parcel and gently press all the edges together to seal the mince in, place on a baking tray and gently press each one down taking care not to let the mince escape, brush the tops with egg wash and prick the tops a couple of times with a small knife, sprinkle with brown sugar (if you want) put in the fridge to cool off a bit, meanwhile preheat the oven 150-160 c (fan oven) place the tray with the little pies on in the middle of the oven and bake for around twenty minutes but check them after fifteen minutes, take out of the oven and allow to cool, be aware these little Eccles mince pies are very moreish so take care not to eat the lot, hope this is of some use to you

Rog

• Like 1

Oz yes it the carriage that costs but we wait until we fill the trolly and then carriage is reduced by half. It’s handy because there are lots of things we can’t get here.