Cash or App...?

Hope you’ll enjoy the break at Skeggy @catfan

I’m afraid more and more places will be asking for ‘card only’ payments.  I think you’ll have to bite the bullet and get a card you can tap.  I must admit that card payment is easier for me than cash as my eyesight, like  yours, is not good…

Same happened with me @catfan at Kings mill Hospital......

Double Espresso please

Thanks thats 2.20

Sorry only got proper money..

OK have it anyway ..on us..

Thank you i'll come here again........:)

• Like 3

I also refuse wherever possible to pay by cash for 2 main reasons, first I don't want a cashless society and also to save peoples jobs. Have you noticed how many supermarkets now have less checkouts for you to place your goods on, they want you to do it yourself, that way they employ less checkout operators and I pay by cash.

• Like 1

Re.  Cashless society.

I'm going to ref.  a Bible text here in a moment.  If that offends please ignore this post.

This old hound is not preaching.  Simply using a ref as I might any other literature.  Just look up Revelation 13.  First few verses will do.  You can probably find it online if you don't have a Bible.  The incredible thing, to me, is that this was written almost 2000 years before, electricity, computers, an internet or a modern banking, commercial system.  I got my first credit card when I came to Canada since then I have watched them become essential.  You can't rent a motel room or car without one.  Then came the debit card.  Money straight out of your bank account.  A number marked on hand or forehead is a natural progression.  Can't lose it, can't steal it etc.  These things begin voluntarily, but rapidly become indespensable and could become compulsory as a form of I,D.

Like folks here I refuse to use self checkouts and cards for a cup of coffee.  What happens when cash is withdrawn?

What happens when you find your account locked because you wrote a strong opinion on social media?

This is not science fiction.  It is technically possible today.

Sorry for long post.  This old hound has seen a lot in 78 years and feels the need to bark a warning once in a while..

• Like 5

In my opinion, no one should be railroaded into doing anything they object to. I have a credit/debit card. I use them for certain things but I also like to have cash. Like Loppy, though with fewer years under my belt, I refuse to comply. If told I can't do something a certain way or that I must do something a certain way, I'm going to cut up awkward and, boy, can I be awkward when I want to!

We should all have a choice as to how we do things. No choice, no cooperation!

• Like 1

There are a few small shops (fish and chips etc.) that insist on cash only. That just draws attention to the fact that they’re probably not fully declaring their income. Believe me, as one who sat as a tax commissioner for over 25 years, the Revenue have a large fraud investigation section!

Mrs C who never carries her card unless she goes out shopping on her own, very unusual that.

A few months ago I was laid up in bed with the flu & she went to Tesco in Vic Centre to do some essential shopping. A couple of months later two transactions for Amazon UK appeared on our joint bank statement.

She had only used this card that once only.

Lloyds bank refunded the money straight away no problem.

Since then it's cash only & if I'm told card only then I will spend my hard earned elsewhere.

Back in Sept we were at a Warner's holiday camp on the IOW where it was card payment only, no problem , we went out the camp & spent our money there & much cheaper too.

I refuse to pay over £6 for a pint.

I’m not much of a drinker nowadays but do enjoy a pint now and then. My regular pub is card only. From the business holders point of view there are many advantages. Not having to handle, count, store, transport and bank cash. Also it’s much more difficult for bar staff to short change or steal from the employer. I recently went into a bar in Southwell to watch the football. I paid cash and noticed I was a pound short. When I questioned it the barman instantly gave me a pound. Didn’t check. No doubt in my mind he knew. Oddly I was short changed in a different Southwell pub last year.

The main disadvantage I find with using a card all the time is it’s so easy to loose track of how much your spending.

16 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

Also it’s much more difficult for bar staff to short change or steal from the employer. I recently went into a bar in Southwell to watch the football. I paid cash and noticed I was a pound short. When I questioned it the barman instantly gave me a pound. Didn’t check. No doubt in my mind he knew.

I've been in that kind of scenario quite a few times over the years. Some shop assistants are obviously engaged in that kind of activity full-time; they work on the basis of 'win some, lose some'. They never question or challenge your comment about the fact they short-changed you; they don't want to draw attention to what they're doing. Just write you off as one they lost. There will be many others who don't notice or won't query anything...and the shop assistant is making a fair amount out of those. 

There aren't so many opportunities for that if you pay by card.

As I said to catfan earlier …. Tapping a card to pay is much easier for me as I can’t differentiate between some coin denominations now, especially if the light isn’t good.  I remember going in our local  shop last year and having to put a handful of cash on the counter so the assistant could pick out the relevant coins (embarrassing or what!). Also, if I hand over a note, I can’t see well enough to check the change I get!

• Like 1

No cash...No Tips................for Bar staff........Barbers.......Waiters .......Buskers and Beggars etc        ....

5 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

No cash...No Tips................for Bar staff........Barbers.......Waiters etc.............

I’d never even consider tipping bar staff. Why would I. I don’t tip the shop when I buy milk or a new jacket. Waiters rather different and I usually let my barber keep the change where I only go 4 times a year or thereabouts so it’s no big deal.  If a restaurant automatically add the service charge I always delete it. That seems to be getting more common. If I do tip then it’s cash in the hand that’s served me and I won’t automatically tip for the sake of it but I will tip where I’ve had good service. 

I’m getting quite used to using my debit card everywhere now but always ensure I’ve got cash in my purse.  I had a really stupid experience last week on the journey back from Dorset.  We stopped for a loo break and picked up a sandwich, couple of soft drinks and a bottle of milk for a cuppa when we got home.  The drinks were something like £1.99 each but 2 for £3.30.  I paid with my card then looked at the receipt to find the girl had charged full price for the two drinks. I queried it and had to go through the palaver of handing card back, getting a refund for everything and starting again, all for 70p and wished I hadn’t bothered.  Got home, put the kettle on and no milk, I’d left 2pt bottle at the services!!! 

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

What about Buskers and Beggars Lets?

Maybe I’m mean but I never give money to beggars but I do tip my hairdresser, taxi drivers, restaurant staff and will buy the bar staff in our local the occasional drink.   Those people working in hospitality work hard for low wages.  
One of our boys worked at Champneys while still at school. He had a nice uniform and joined the team as a waiter.  After a couple of weeks he decided to work in the kitchens washing up, because everyone was on £3 an hour, (25 years ago) regardless of their role, and he was fed up with the stuck-up foreign folk in the restaurant being rude and demanding. He didn’t stick the job for long anyway! 

• Like 1

I believe there are schemes in some cities where you can buy food vouchers and give them to any homeless person.  The vouchers can be redeemed at certain food outlets. 

I personally think it’s a better idea to give to local homeless shelters so they can do more for those who are truly homeless

This is the result of only washing up once a day in the evening. Don’t ever challenge me at Jenga folks!

we do also have a dishwasher which goes on every 2-3 days.

39-B8-A45-A-9118-45-C8-9410-488221-BE2-B

• Upvote 2