Cash or App...?

I use both but really only use cash for things like market stalls where they don’t have card machines. I think during lockdown when we used contactless it made us more used to using a card. I was a bit miffed when we were in the Lake District earlier this year and  my husband dropped me off at the public loos and I just had the 50p in my pocket and then found out that  entry was card only. I persuaded the person behind me to use his card and offered to give him the 50p but think he felt so sorry for me that he refused my cash and paid for me anyway with his card. Ridiculous situation.

Using cards here has become more popular. Market traders do have them but sometimes , conveniently, they don’t work!

The majority of businesses use them as they have done before but they are encouraged to use them permanently because it means that all their takings are registered and there’s no excuse for cheating as it’s the norm here.

When I used to go to Italy on business I heard that firms kept two sets of books. One for themselves and one for inspection by the Revenue. Italian revenue officers were armed and could visit at any time. You could never get into an Italian factory without announcing yourself at the gates. They were like a fortress, to keep the inspectors out.

54 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Anybody using contactless payment? 

I no longer have or use cash or card :ohmy:

Yes. I use either my phone or my watch. Hardly ever get my card out of my wallet these days, and the £20 in notes has been in there for months.

• 7 months later...

Can't fathom out some parking methods ...when its Card only...or pay by phone....and whats a smart phone? or even an App.......i use my card in some shops or Cafe's......but just don't feel right........cashless society? please NO.........Always carry cash...like the feel of ''Holding the folding''...and having a bit of Banter when slowly getting the Coins out me 'Purse' lol.......how about you?

• Like 2

I'm with you Ben on this, imagine if you left the smart phone at home or lost it or had it stolen, you'd be scuppered, unable to use a car park, travel on a bus /train, buy a drink or food anywhere, I use my debit card for petrol but cash for everything else

Rog 

• Like 1

I dunno Phil, I have a ritual before going out, specs, car keys, wallet,, I suppose I could lose my wallet but there's usually a few quid in small change in my pocket enough for a cuppa or a sandwich somewhere or bus fare back home

Rog

We fly at least a couple of times a year. For years we printed our boarding passes at the airport on checking in. We'd sit at the gate and watch folks flash their phone over the machine to board. We kept saying, we really must join the 21st century and download the Delta app. We did a couple of years ago, our boarding pass goes into the phone 24hrs ahead of the flight. We feel quite 'with it' nowadays using our phone. It is the only app we do use. Mustn't rush these things!

• Like 1