"Winter Wonderland" taking over the Market Square

I haven't been into Nottingham centre for years but this week I visited there and saw the ghastly Winter Wonderland. The construction work is impressive enough, especially the ice rink, but it lost all sense of a lovely open space which the Market Square is justifiably famous for.

Surely the Square doesn't need to be chock-full of buildings and structures? There must be another place for all this stuff, if it's necessary at all.

I've missed any debate which must surely have occurred in previous years, about this loss of primary amenity space.

Presumably the city council feels it receives enough money for permitting such a claustrophobic monstrosity and this money outweighs the effective loss of a public market square.

I gather this horrible mess is on until the end of December. Ugh! It certainly doesn't get my vote. I believe there are similar square-filling displays throughout the year, and I hope they don't take over the open space so completely.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, catfan said:

Old Market Square has been renamed James Mellors Square.

Yep, no longer for the people it's all for the council coffers

Rog

• Like 1

Take a market stall put a bit of tinsel round it and then its a Christmas Market, oh and up the price of everything HUMBUG

• Like 2

Jill, Owner of various stalls and amusements. If memory serves me correctly Mellors used winter some of their fairground rides below my uncles garage on Greasley Street Bulwell. ( this was late 60s).

I've an idea he may be Chairman of the Showmans guild. Not sure on this.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Beekay said:

Jill, Owner of various stalls and amusements. If memory serves me correctly Mellors used winter some of their fairground rides below my uncles garage on Greasley Street Bulwell. ( this was late 60s).

I've an idea he may be Chairman of the Showmans guild. Not sure on this.

He still has that yard on Greasley Street.

Henry Mellors the father of James Mellors was a true gentleman, met him numerous times when I lived in Bulwell.