Winter fuel & Christmas bonus.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really must check to see if mine has arrived yet. Thing is... with my vast wealth, it's easy to overlook a few hundred here or there...... Eitherway, it will help a bit towards the almost £6k I

Something I've never understood or agreed with is the meter standing charge. They were introduced back in the 30's for new supplies when installation costs were expensive, they never went away because

Set a reminder, I can't remember things a day or two ahead, never mind 400 years!

I managed to get all my perishable Christmas food shopping done today with good expiry dates. Don’t have to go out now till after Crimbo. Even got my favourite White Stilton from the local butcher, jobs a good un. 

Hoping all of you have a happy Christmas and all the best for 2023.

Mrs B

• Upvote 1

Now I'm jealous, Mrs B. We used to have Long Clawson Dairy for our milkman, and Fridays,  he would bring either blue or white Stilton with the milk, if you had preordered it. White was my favourite cheese.

I use blue cheese in cooking, which some will think is sacrilegious!  My father was a gorgonzola addict: a family trait inherited from Ted Sparrow, my grandfather. Ted bought entire cheeses, poked holes in them which he filled with port wine, putting the whole wrapped cheese aside for Christmas. There was always a trip to Melton Mowbray some time before the festive Season to enable him to do this. He had family there, on his mother's side, who ran all kinds of shops, farms, etc. My father usually went along for the ride, as a child, as cheese tasting was not to be missed.

I think Cropwell Bishop is the best but each to their own. There’s a company now based in Colston Bassett who produce macarons, also one of my favourites! 

Very very occasionally we can get Stilton but not sure which. I love gorgonzola dolce and normal and it’s delicious with polenta. Just the right food for cold weather.

The £10 Christmas Bonus didn’t go far to filling my trolley today.  I thought I’d got on top of the food shopping a couple of days ago but needed to get more ‘perishables’ when I worked out how many hungry gannets will be landing on us over the next few days.  Wish I’d stayed at home, I’ve never seen so many empty shelves in Sainsburys, with folk wandering around with bewildered expressions on their faces, wondering what they’re going to eat for the 2 days of Christmas!  Anyway, I’ve compromised and bought what I could and I’m definitely not going in a supermarket again til next year.  
Merry Christmas to you all.  x

• Like 1

If you Google 'which is the best Stilton?' it comes up as Colston Basset but it's subjective and very much a matter of personal taste. Some people hollow it out and pour port into the space. It's not something I've tried! I like it with crackers and red wine but definitely not cooked! That makes me puke.:(

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Actually it’s not so bad being a pensioner. I’ve  just opened a letter telling me I will shortly be receiving £350 winter fuel payment. I think my wife will be getting one as well but it will be less as she’s younger.

Are they being more generous this year?  I thought we got £200 per household, shared between the pensioners.  My husband will be 80 in a couple of weeks, suppose he’ll get more next year.  About time us oldies applied for Attendance Allowance and Blue Badges, let’s get all we can for the NI we’ve paid in years ago, and the tax most of us are still paying.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My letter this morning said I would get £500 which is a welcome contribution to my once in a lifetime trip round New England which I got back from on Saturday. Never mind the heating, it all comes out of the same pot. 

• Upvote 1

Where's all this dosh coming from? That's what I'd like to know. Is there a money tree or bottomless pit that I'm not aware of?

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Winter fuel & Christmas bonus.