Rog, when dismantling, do you have to drill out the rivets that hold the sections together. Also, after you've sprayed the primer, do you hand paint with a brush? I am thinking of where there are two or more colours.  B.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Reliant Regal with City of Nottingham Water Department on it side, I didnt know they used these, can anyone remember them.  

Managed to find a Leyland Atlantean I could re-brand as NCT, so here is the result from this     To this         Waiting for the destina

This is from Picture the Past, who cover Derbyshire, and Furness Vale is a village in the Peak District.   https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/dchq001841/posteri

24 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Rog, when dismantling, do you have to drill out the rivets that hold the sections together. Also, after you've sprayed the primer, do you hand paint with a brush? I am thinking of where there are two or more colours.  B.

If you look at the top deck in the photo you will see two wire rods, they go through to the chassis and are a press fit, I knock these through with a small drift/old small screwdriver that will separate the upper deck from the  chassis, there is one "rivet" on the underside of the chassis and I drill the top off that this then separates the chassis from the lower deck, the seats and window units can then come out and put to one side while I rub down the paintwork ready for primer spray, the main colours are sprayed on the two sections using my air brush, when that is thoroughly dry I mask off the main colour using proper modellers mask tape and hand paint the lines in, once they are all dry I gently remove the making tape then move onto the spray lacquer coats, if that makes any sense

Rog

• Like 1

I am well impressed with these new waterslide transfers from "mmff45" on ebay, so if you are after some 1/76 scale transfers for Nottingham City Transport look no further than this guy, very small but easy to apply and excellent results

DSCF1712.jpg

Rog

19 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Good. What green have you used?

Vallejo flat green acrylic, this one was hand painted but the next one will be airbrushed, forgot to add, after the paint had dried I sprayed it with Plastkote acrylic gloss lacquer

Rog

• Like 1

Rog., do you spray lacquer the windows as well? I would have thought it may affect the clarity of the perspex or whatever is used.  B.

20 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Rog., do you spray lacquer the windows as well? I would have thought it may affect the clarity of the perspex or whatever is used.  B.

No, I spray the top and bottom decks with colour them when they are dry I lacquer both when thay are dry (I usually give them a couple of days) I start to assemble the bus, picture of the bus loosely put together for the purpose of the photo, all the internals are painted and put aside waiting for final assembly

DSCF1599.jpg

Rog

All the components laid out ready for the upper and lower decks to be lined out, then transfers then final lacquer coat then assembly of the Trolley bus, I'll do this in the kitchen today as it's too cold in the shed and it's no good putting my gas fire on in there because that causes more damp which is no good for paint or lacquer

DSCF1716-2.jpg

Rog

Finished assembling the (1/76 scale)Trolley bus, I know the advertising is wrong and there are no destination blinds at the moment because of the post but it's a fair representation of what I remember going from Trent Bridge to Bulwell back in the fifties and sixties

P1100425.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

That looks good enough for a DIY one!  Can you get proper NCT destination blinds? The transfer man on Ebay has logos for Gash's. Might have a go at that when I have found a suitable Daimler double decker.

• Like 1

Don't know about blinds for NCT, did think about doctoring some South Notts ones that I have spare, just something like "City" or " Trent bridge", but I'll keep on looking, meanwhile I have found a donor bus for the South Notts project, only cost a tenner off a well known selling site so not too much money, It's a Leyland Titan with Orion body, perfect for the Nottingham to Clifton route

DSCF1732.jpg

Rog

Donor bus now re-branded as South Notts, this time airbrushed acrylic paint as opposed to the enamel hand painted previous SN buses, memories of the full sized buses from my chilhood

DSCF1739.jpg

DSCF1740.jpg

DSCF1741.jpg

Rog

6 hours ago, plantfit said:

Donor bus now re-branded as South Notts

Top work Plantfit.

Those pictures reminded me that I have never been on a South Notts bus!

What was the rail below the bodywork between the wheels for? Was it some kind of side collision protection device? I remember it being on many of the older AEC Regents but never on any of the Bristols from the 60s and 70s

2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

So Bedford SB would have similar meaning?

SB Bedford with Vega body

P1100030-3.jpg

Rog

Bit of a challenge this time re-branding a Trent Bus to a South Notts bus for someone,didn't realise just how small 1/148 scale (N gauge) was, anyway all stripped down ready for a rub over with wire wool (does that come from steel sheep?) then primer paint followed by top coats of Midnight blue and Purple/red and lining of Beige and small details with silver fine felt tip pen

DSCF1759.jpg[/ur

Rog

Coversion from Trent Bus to South Notts livery is finished, a bit fiddly because I've never worked in that scale before but really enjoyed it, the bus is for someone who used to worked out of the Gotham  S/N garage and after seeing my 1/76 scale model asked if I could do one in 1/148 (N gauge) scale, hope he's pleased with the result, he's going to supply and pring his own decals

DSCF1767-2.jpg

Rog

Whilst discussing South Notts buses, it may or may not be interesting to know that a South Notts bus still earns a living in Hampshire. Along with four others, they operate a wedding/special occasion service. 
       It’s a Bedford OB purchased new in 1949 KNN 314.

No longer does it carry its old livery. However, the bus survives.

• Like 1

I do like that one Trogg, Admin, do we need a separate thread/topic for models? just a thought, they seem to have a following

Rog

5 hours ago, trogg said:

I know this isn't a bus but it is a model and it is from Nottingham City Fire Brigade. AEC Pump Escape reg YTO999K was based at Central Fire Station, It arrived in 1971.

I remember those days, when all the Nottingham fire engines had a registration number which included 999.