• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Reliant Regal with City of Nottingham Water Department on it side, I didnt know they used these, can anyone remember them.  

This is from Picture the Past, who cover Derbyshire, and Furness Vale is a village in the Peak District.   https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/dchq001841/posteri

Great time at the Codnor sports club yesterday to see the model bus show, some great models on display nearly all putting mine to shame   1/50 scale Barton coaches and buses  

@IAN FINN, It was ' Corpo' buses that had no spitting, also, above the seat behind the driver was the legend, "Do Not Distract The Driver". I thought the sign read 'No Spittng, No Smoking' underneath.

• Like 1

Another item of interest I remember was, in the cab of the AEC mk3 there was above the windscreen, a little square tube that was like a reverse periscope, so the driver could keep an eye on activities upstairs. Don't know what it  was called but some of us referred to it as a "Seebackascope ".

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Another item of interest I remember was, in the cab of the AEC mk3 there was above the windscreen, a little square tube that was like a reverse periscope, so the driver could keep an eye on activities upstairs. Don't know what it  was called but some of us referred to it as a "Seebackascope ".

I remember those, if you sat above the driver there was a clear plastic panel in front of you, that must have been the other end to you "seebackscope"

Rog

MGO and Trent buses had them as well. What you did if sitting on the front seat upstairs was to put something on the top of it so Mr Driver couldn't see.

• Like 1

But you would only cover them if you were up to no good or intent on some mischief. Of course, I'm talking about schoolboys or teenagers.

• Like 1

Now days the buses have cctv and it's monitored by someone at HQ, the downside (in a way) is the driver is also monitored

Rog

6 minutes ago, Beekay said:

But you would only cover them if you were up to no good or intent on some mischief. Of course, I'm talking about schoolboys or teenagers.

So was I  :biggrin:

The story so far with the re-branded Leyland, colour paintwork done, linings done and transfers put on, it now requires a couple of coats of clear lacquer to darken the green and put a bit of shine on it, the glazing needs to go in and the seating then all fixing together

DSCF1954.jpg

DSCF1955.jpg

Another reminder of the full size buses I travelled on as a kid

Rog

• Like 1

Where's the destination board that should be above the platform.

(Nearside/rear)

Or am I being picky?  B.

Just now, Beekay said:

Where's the destination board that should be above the platform.

(Nearside/rear)

Or am I being picky?  B.

Not picky at all, I know some South Notts buses had the destination blind above the back door and some of the NCT ones did but I found a photo of a NCT bus like this what I modelled mine on, I'll have a trawl through me books and try to find it, it could be that the bus was bought from another bus company and re-branded to NCT

Rog

I remember hanging off the platform, clinging on to the centre handrail while turning the destination blind to either 'City' or the number and terminus, e.g, 30 Broxtowe.  All the the while thinking, 'For f#$*s don't let go !

Edit...Well done Rog !! you've done me proud once more.  B.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

I remember hanging off the platform, clinging on to the centre handrail while turning the destination blind to either 'City' or the number and terminus, e.g, 30 Broxtowe.  All the the while thinking, 'For f#$*s don't let go !

Edit...Well done Rog !! you've done me proud once more.  B.

Thankyou sir, always good to get some positive comments from someone who knew these things first hand, the main body was sprayed using my airbrush and the lining was hand painted, I thinned the lining paint right down so it needed three coats for a good covering, one unthinned coat would have looked too thick, The bus has niw been lacquered and wainting for it to dry then I can put it all back together, I am pleased with this one

Rog

• Like 1

Roger, whilst not wishing to decry your efforts, which are far better than anything I could manage, the destination layout is incorrect for an NCT Leyland Titan PD2/40. NCT never used "lazy blinds" and the Titans had T-shaped displays, with the destination mounted above the two numeral blinds. Red wheels would also add more athenticity.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Roger, whilst not wishing to decry your efforts, which are far better than anything I could manage, the destination layout is incorrect for an NCT Leyland Titan PD2/40. NCT never used "lazy blinds" and the Titans had T-shaped displays, with the destination mounted above the two numeral blinds. Red wheels would also add more athenticity.

Thanks for the input DB, the wheels will be painted today thanks for that, as for the destination blinds, I struggle to get them for NCT in fact I don't know of any so I used the next best thing which was some left over South Notts transfers, I know not perfect but close enough for my little display, when/if I ever manage to find the correct ones they will be changed as soon as, great to have some first hand knowledge about these things from you and Beekay,

Rog

8 minutes ago, trogg said:

Whilst the wife was putting away the Christmas tree she found 20 Matchbox of Yesteryear, so I will post a few before they go into Hibernation again.

A 1954 Riley

IMG-20230105-155333.jpg

Ford Model T 1911

IMG-20230105-155317.jpg

Beautiful motors Trogg, now I am envious, don't put them away keep some on show

Rog

Early form of public transport in Nottingham, (part of my " history of Nottingham transport in miniature collection)

DSCF1959.jpg

DSCF1960.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

I vaguely remember them when my old firm used to do the audit of the Corporation water department back in 1962. The headquarters were on Castle Boulevard, below the Castle Rock and adjacent to the ‘Trip’. I think it may be a museum now. It was a very Dickensian set up with clerks sitting at tall desks and writing with pens. The City treasury had already gone partially computerised and were based at the Guildhall. This was prior the the water department passing to Severn Trent.

• Like 1