Anyone got a model of the night soil cart, drawn by those famous ten o'clock horses my grandfather said would come to fetch me if I didn't go to bed?  An elderly lady once told me how, as a child, she stood at her bedroom window, watching them eat their sandwiches having just emptied the 'earth closets' of the inn next door.  You have to eat a peck of muck before you die. Her favourite saying.

• Like 1
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Reliant Regal with City of Nottingham Water Department on it side, I didnt know they used these, can anyone remember them.  

Managed to find a Leyland Atlantean I could re-brand as NCT, so here is the result from this     To this         Waiting for the destina

This is from Picture the Past, who cover Derbyshire, and Furness Vale is a village in the Peak District.   https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/dchq001841/posteri

I don't know of any Jill but with a bit of re-modelling and fabrication I suppose a diecast code one vehicle could be converted, don't know what it would be called though was the phrase "ten o clock hosses" a Nottingham name or was it more widespread

Rog

• Like 1

My uncle used to drive one of those Reliant vans. He was an inspector for NCWW, and at the time had never got round to passing his car driving test, so also had his own Reliant Robin - having “upgraded” from a motorbike with sidecar.

49 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Anyone got a model of the night soil cart, drawn by those famous ten o'clock horses my grandfather said would come to fetch me if I didn't go to bed?  

This is from Picture the Past, who cover Derbyshire, and Furness Vale is a village in the Peak District.

https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/dchq001841/posterid/dchq001841.html

I suppose all night soil men looked - and smelled - similar.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I don't know of any Jill but with a bit of re-modelling and fabrication I suppose a diecast code one vehicle could be converted, don't know what it would be called though was the phrase "ten o clock hosses" a Nottingham name or was it more widespread

Rog

Looking at CTs picture, it would be possible to fabricate a simple horse and cart, with some lidded bins on the back. What you put in the bins is your business.

• Like 1

Rog., don't tell me you've cut that down from a van?  Or perhaps is it a bought one ready for conversion? Pardon my ignorance.  B.

11 hours ago, Beekay said:

Rog., don't tell me you've cut that down from a van?  Or perhaps is it a bought one ready for conversion? Pardon my ignorance.  B.

No mate, I was looking around an auction site for a horse drawn cart that could be converted (Jill might want to have a go at the conversion) and this thing came up, I think it's a set from their historical range of vehicles, would make an interesting addition though

Rog

Trogg, I've got some very similar to your models. I wonder if they're all the same shape with a different livery. Should I post them?

(Or are we in danger of transport overload).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Trogg, I've got some very similar to your models. I wonder if they're all the same shape with a different livery. Should I post them?

(Or are we in danger of transport overload).

Transport models is the topic , so post them.

• Like 1

Pickfords still in business but I think mainly removals now as opposed to the heavy haulage side of things, those models look brilliant Trogg such a shame to hide them away,

Yes Barrie you should post pictures of your models

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of transport, at this moment, I'm watching a short transport film on Talking Pictures, with lots of coaches as described in this topic.. Noticed one with Mansfield and District livery on it. Going to sit back and watch it...."Days Out".

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

For those that are interested in model buses you might find this interesting

331782736-1421740408571883-1092374639512

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

Great time at the Codnor sports club yesterday to see the model bus show, some great models on display nearly all putting mine to shame

DSCF2038.jpg

1/50 scale Barton coaches and buses

DSCF2045_(2).jpg

1/76 scale South Notts

DSCF2043.jpg

1/16 scale tram (working)

DSCF2037.jpg

1/76 scale town scene

Rog

• Like 2

That bottom picture Rog, there's a parking space vacant. You want to nab it while you can. thumbsup

Lovely pictures, are they yours ? B.

• Like 1

My pictures but not my models, the place was packed could hardly move around, the transfer seller was doing brisk business, you couldn't get near his tables, the others were very busy too with quite a few models being sold a lot of them in the 8-10 pound each bracket, I didn't buy anything myself and I contact the transfer seller direct with any orders I need

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Can't open Notty, not on Facebook, so I'll have to take your word for it. Cheers mate !

I travelled twice a day from Daybrook to Basford North and back from 1954 until the service was discontinued in around 1959 and replaced  by a ‘bus service. The journey lasted about four minutes and it took me considerably longer to walk from home and to school at each end. I think the furthest flung Mellish boys caught the train at Gedling station. In the morning the train travelled on towards Kimberley and beyond but the afternoon train started from Basford North.

• Like 1

Phil, I'm struggling to get my head around this route. Did the line come from Daybrook and pass at the back of City Hospital? When I was a patient there, in Heathfield isolation hospital, back in 1954, I vaguely remember seeing trains passing at the back and my brother and I used to count the trucks as they went by. I know a line ran alongside Hucknall Road, but that's all I know. Was the line the one that went over the bridge overlooking Northern baths? Also, where was Basford North situated? Cheers.