Rock and Roll at the Locarno

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the 'Futurist' that LizzieM referred to earlier. Joined the Fabulous Beatmen in the 60s as lead singer and spent 4 months at the Top Ten in Hamburg. Came back to tour the UK and released two recor

My head is buzzing with the fondest of memories of the Locarno - which we always still called 'the Vic'. I believe that the first time I attended was a Saturday afternoon session in the back end of 1

Having only last night discovered this amazingly nostalgic site myself - I've extended an invitation to my Brother Steve plus good friend Richard (Rock) Wheatley who played lead guitar with Tony and t

You know the answer to that 'carnie'...............probably a nice 'slim jim' in those days. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I think I did know the answer benjamin. :)

Chris has still got his "Brown leather Slim Jim" but he only wears it for "Fancy Dress Dances" I never knew they were called "Slim Jims" :)

• Upvote 1

Locarno,such brilliant memories,..........none less than going in the mens powder room' getting the 'attendant' to 'buff' your shoes and get a 'squirt' of 'cologne' then a quick check in the special 'mirror' that made us all look like 'Billy Fury',and on to the 'Dance floor' that was bouncing to the rythum of something like the 'Locomotion' then spending about 2 hours trying to 'score' with the best lookers,............and at last knockings end up with a 'wallflower'....bless em.

• Upvote 4

I had a duffle coat, but that was later on in the mid sixties - three quarter coats where in fashion in the early sixties with very tight skirts and 3 inch high heeled winkle pickers........The bus conductor's used to have to lift us on the bus because our skirts were too tight............boufant hair styles with all that pompador hair laquer...........I still have my net underskirt which I wore under my dirndle skirts 59/60's summer.........was still at school, but had a Saturday and holiday job at the beehive stores in Hucknall, helped buy my togs.........was for ever at the Locarno or the Old Vic as it was sometimes called............

• Upvote 2

Locarno,such brilliant memories,..........none less than going in the mens powder room' getting the 'attendant' to 'buff' your shoes and get a 'squirt' of 'cologne' then a quick check in the special 'mirror' that made us all look like 'Billy Fury',and on to the 'Dance floor' that was bouncing to the rythum of something like the 'Locomotion' then spending about 2 hours trying to 'score' with the best lookers,............and at last knockings end up with a 'wallflower'....bless em.

I was a wallflower..........I loved Billy Fury, he always sang the romantic songs about the stars.............

• Upvote 1

I remember 'blonde' but you were best of the 'bunch' lol.

and yes billy furys stars.............fousands of em.

• Upvote 1

Me and my mates were never dancers. We used to like listening to the music, not dancing to it. As I never had a girlfriend in the rock-and-roll era I never tried dancing. I would have thought of myself looking a right prat if I had ventured on to the dance floor. Then came the time when I risked it. Jiving wasn't so bad after all, and like many things, once you had broken the ice there was nothing to it.

In Sorrento last year me and 'er were under the stars on a nice warm night, the trio were playing just the right music for a slow jive, and guess what - Mrs Chulla didn't want to cut a rug. Women!!!!

• Upvote 2

Lets go back a bit more, my mum and dad met at the Victory he throw peanuts at her from the balcony year was around 1936. This is when the Vic had bands and the black-bottom and other dance's were in. Then Rock n Roll came to the Locarno, next Jive yes I also went to Teen night Tuesday 1/3 or 1/6 most of the girls used to dance while the fellows stood and watched. Then the coffee bar came along where we met Saturday before going ice skating next the Dungen I think it was the only place where it was open all night.

The Atsoria used to be the Sherwood Rooms they used to hold hairdressing comp's there, one coming to mind is the L'Oreal Colour Trophy.

My master's uncle used to keep the Blue Bell on Alford Street this used to be a watering hole for Ray Larving ,wife and some of his family. This is where I met master I can only just remember Ray. As I am a little younger than master.

#132 blondie

I REMEMBER my 15th birthday Party,March 1960,last one before leaving school (and blonde your old friend Frank Smith was there) anyway me Mam and Dad went out and said i could have a Party,about 20 school mates attended about 15 of em girls,and yes blonde most were wearing your 3inch high heels,made a right mess of Mams new lino, Dancing to the likes of 'Running Bear',

• Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...

Locarno. Hi gang, only just joined this thread so I think I'm so very much out if date. I remember Lloydy the manager - a perfect gent - he'd take over on the record decks for a while and the punters had such respect for him they'd have danced to Gid Save the Queen had he played it. After the Locarno (which we still always called 'the Vic') Lloydy managed a Norwich dance hall and I met him there.

I went to the 6d lunchtime record sessions and every evening one I could possibly attend; there was a DJ (assistant manager?) by the name of Mick who was really up himself but also a very pretty young woman spinning the records. Later Tony Sherwood who eventually had an entertainment agency at Burton Joyce, I think. Does anyone remember the Beatmens bus in the car park?

Is Lady in red from Bluecoat School still on here? I went there from 1952-57 - Mick Peters is the name

• Upvote 2

"On the banks of the river"....

Stood little 'White dove' young indian maid,

• Upvote 1

Having only last night discovered this amazingly nostalgic site myself - I've extended an invitation to my Brother Steve plus good friend Richard (Rock) Wheatley who played lead guitar with Tony and the Varitones (late of Dancing Slipper and YMCA opp firestation). Also, another good friend Roger Lymn who played guitar with Sons of Adam and Pussy Foot Four and, later, with the Beatmen, etc, etc. My, will these guys have tales to tell about the 60s Rock n Roll scene if I can persuade them to join us.

• Upvote 4

Looking forward to reading your posts Mickyp, and I hope you can persuade The others to join you on Nottstalgia. I'm sure they will have some interesting stories for us. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Locarno. Hi gang, only just joined this thread so I think I'm so very much out if date. I remember Lloydy the manager - a perfect gent - he'd take over on the record decks for a while and the punters had such respect for him they'd have danced to Gid Save the Queen had he played it. After the Locarno (which we still always called 'the Vic') Lloydy managed a Norwich dance hall and I met him there.

I went to the 6d lunchtime record sessions and every evening one I could possibly attend; there was a DJ (assistant manager?) by the name of Mick who was really up himself but also a very pretty young woman spinning the records. Later Tony Sherwood who eventually had an entertainment agency at Burton Joyce, I think. Does anyone remember the Beatmens bus in the car park?

Is Lady in red from Bluecoat School still on here? I went there from 1952-57 - Mick Peters is the name

A friend of our Rob Barnes was a drummer with the Beatmen and played at the Locarno regularly......he now lives in NZ............