Rock and Roll at the Locarno

Thanks for correcting the record Huggett.

Sorry to hear of accident that Johnny was involved in.

With your connections do you have any images that we could use showing

the markets or market people from old Notts?

Hi Mick2Me sorry I only logged in once when I was looking for family history that I wasnt already aware of, sadly myself I am only 20 years old so I dont, but I do have some of the Family photo albums from the Larvin side, ill dig them out as my Dad has them and ill post them about :)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the 'Futurist' that LizzieM referred to earlier. Joined the Fabulous Beatmen in the 60s as lead singer and spent 4 months at the Top Ten in Hamburg. Came back to tour the UK and released two recor

My head is buzzing with the fondest of memories of the Locarno - which we always still called 'the Vic'. I believe that the first time I attended was a Saturday afternoon session in the back end of 1

Having only last night discovered this amazingly nostalgic site myself - I've extended an invitation to my Brother Steve plus good friend Richard (Rock) Wheatley who played lead guitar with Tony and t

when we lived in clifton dolly larvin lived in the bungalow opposit usshe died about 1992 i think she was jonnys widow someone told me that anyway but not sure

• 4 weeks later...

Just got on this site for the first time................. Fun to hear about the old dance halls. I met my wife at Colman's and we celebrated her 18th birthday at the Palais. I used to come on a Barton's bus from Calverton and end up the Locarno on Saturday nights with my buddies. All good memories from 1960 to 1963 good to read the stories.

i lived on bournmore cresent just round the corner from wrenthorpe so itts perhaps another member of the larvin family but every one on bournmore called her dolly and we had not been therelong when she died so did not know her all that well but she would sometimes ask me to bring something back if i was nipping up to top shops.

• 1 month later...

Hi Lyn,

Tell me, if you know, when did the Vic Ballroom become The Locarno? I an aware of the change but cannot for the life of me understand how I missed the change.

Not sure exactly when it changed but there is a reference to a document in the National Archives for the Locarno , dated 1958/59 and another one for the Victoria Ballroom dated 1957 so must have changed sometime between in 1957 and 1958 .

I used to go to the Locarno on Tuesday nights in 1962. Was that teen night? I went with the 5 other girls in the punch card training centre at Raleigh. We all started the same day having all left school Xmas 61. I don't remember much about the place except we'd all dance in a circle with our handbags in the middle, on the floor. I wonder where these girls are now, anyone recognise a name. Janet Fearon, Margaret Haigh, Marlene & Margaret Fitzgibbons [they were non-identical twins, all lived St Anns', Bluebell Hill, that area] and Sue Johnson Ah memories.

I took Janet to work each day from about 67/68. Were you still there them

I left Raleigh the summer of 67, Janet didn't do the punch card machines for very long, she went on to the comptometer machine instead. The twins by the way, their last name was Fitzsimmons, I got it wrong.

Hi Katyjay,

I did not know any of the other girls, but to let you know Jan is now a Carlton Girl, She Has a Daugter, Kristy, & four Gorgeous Grandsons. Oh & me as well.

You are married to Janet? Well, blow me down! Say hello to her for me, it's over 50 years since we met in the training school at Raleigh.

Hi Michael,

I don't think I ever went to the Locarno but I was always at the Victoria Monday & Fridays, great nights in those days. The two things that come to mind are, the Jiving which was not allowed, usually done during a Quickstep, which prompted Bert the Usher to play the Carbon Ark Spotlight on you as a signal to cease your demonstration. The other was after the bar closed at 10.30 several of the lads learning the new dance craze down there, 'The Quaker', dancing twice round the floor & out the fire escape door by the stage for your 'Oats'.

Looking at other posts it appears there was not a Bar when it became Locarno, perhaps that is why I never went!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was educated at the Bluecoat school, which in those days, was situated on Mansfield road. When we were in the 4th & 5th form, which would be the mid 50's, we often used to rush down to the Vic ( as we called it )at lunchtime for a jive etc. I think we had around 90 minutes lunch break so were able to get in a good hour's dancing. I never went in the evenings.

We also used to frequent the coffee bars but this was frowned upon as we could be " spotted " and reported to our headmaster ( F.W.V. Taylor - " The Boss " and although terrified of him at the time, now remembered with affection. )

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Anyone remember the Nottingham boxer who used to be the doorman (bouncer) at the Lacarno in the early 60's. m His ring name was Johnny Carrington but I cannot remember his correct surname. He and his family were also barrow boys selling fruit/Veg from a barrow on St Peters Square and Broadmarsh area.

john larvin, sadly passed on, car ran him over near lady bay bridge

:biggrin: Hi Katyjay, that's an old Nottingham saying you've written @ #88: 'Well, blow me down' - good to see it again.

Hi Michael, @ #89; I too used to visit the 'Locarno in the early 60's'. No place like it: when you stood on the steps outside, the sound of 'The Four Seasons' blasting out with 'Walk Like A Man' and luring you into this enchanting Palace. :cool:

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

I wus just wonderin' like - do yer reckon that Jackson and Katjay might have been among the plethora of pulchritudinous lasses that used to ignore me advances?

Just a thought, I can't blame em.

TTFN

Handsome? What me? Eh?

There is link in there though Michael - They used to say I looked hansom dancing, but they were referring to the horse that pulled the hanson cab methinks. Hehehe!

I'll put the kettle on then...

Evenin' all!

• 1 month later...

We (my twin sister and I) used to go to the Locarno on a Tuesday night, I also remember Janet, Margaret & Marlene who we went to school with at Pierre Pont secondary school on Gordon road with Pat Palmer, Margaret Carver and a few others who's names I just cant seem to remember (its an age thing :unsure: )

Although we preferred Jepson's, Coleman's and Hanford's and Richards.

Does anyone remember the Dancing slipper in West Bridgford ?