Rock and Roll at the Locarno

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the 'Futurist' that LizzieM referred to earlier. Joined the Fabulous Beatmen in the 60s as lead singer and spent 4 months at the Top Ten in Hamburg. Came back to tour the UK and released two recor

My head is buzzing with the fondest of memories of the Locarno - which we always still called 'the Vic'. I believe that the first time I attended was a Saturday afternoon session in the back end of 1

Having only last night discovered this amazingly nostalgic site myself - I've extended an invitation to my Brother Steve plus good friend Richard (Rock) Wheatley who played lead guitar with Tony and t

Used to go to the Plough on St Peter's St. for Rock and Roll on a Friday night with Rocking Ray spinning the vinyl, some great nights with lock in's to about 3 in the morning. Eh Rock and Roll will never die! unionflag

Anyone remember the Nottingham boxer who used to be the doorman (bouncer) at the Lacarno in the early 60's. m His ring name was Johnny Carrington but I cannot remember his correct surname. He and his family were also barrow boys selling fruit/Veg from a barrow on St Peters Square and Broadmarsh area.

• Upvote 1

His real name was Johnny Larvin, he used to live up Clifton next door to my mate so I knew him fairly well, a decent sought once you got to know him. He did run the barrow boys in Nottingham along with his Wife 'Dolly'. Both dead now, Johnny dropped dead when jogging across Trent Bridge one day!

• 1 year later...

I used to go to the Locarno on Tuesday nights in 1962. Was that teen night? I went with the 5 other girls in the punch card training centre at Raleigh. We all started the same day having all left school Xmas 61. I don't remember much about the place except we'd all dance in a circle with our handbags in the middle, on the floor. I wonder where these girls are now, anyone recognise a name. Janet Fearon, Margaret Haigh, Marlene & Margaret Fitzgibbons [they were non-identical twins, all lived St Anns', Bluebell Hill, that area] and Sue Johnson Ah memories.

• Upvote 1

yes tuesday was teen night (no booze) remember they had a mime session? was it there or the palais that had a joe loss type band? think this one was led by his brother dead loss! we couldn't wait for them to finish and records come on! re punch cards training, ever come across a girl named margaret wardle?

No Ashley, I never came across her. Was she at Raleigh? I think most big firms in those days had a punch room, did she work elsewhere?

I don't remember a band playing at the Locarno before we had the records start, I just remember dancing to records. I should imagine the Palais had a band though.

There wwas a band at the Locarno 1958/62 thats when the dance floor used to empty until the records came on again,no jumped up DJs those days just somebody in the background playing the records,no booze sold in there yet the place was still packed,tuesday nights thursday,saturday afternoons and night and also the sunday club.

I went to the Locarno. Think the 1st time I went was when I was 14 LOL. It was the lunch time session. When I left school & went to work I was 5 mins away from there so used to go in my lunch hour.I remember Cupe, the Pownalls, the barrow boy lads all used to go too. I also used to go on Saturdays, was a good crowd in there & the music was GREAT.

Would 'Cupe' be Mick Cupid, brother Brian Cupid of the Saints motor bike club, hailed from Clifton?

• Upvote 1

Used to know him well in my motor bike days. The 'saints' were the sworn enemy of the 'aces'!

Pat, Do you remember the trip to byards leap, Mick Marriott had been on about legend re a witch and we all went from university gates about midnight and went god knows where to some closed cafe, finally coppers came and we got warned off and home freezing cold about 5am