Rock and Roll at the Locarno

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the 'Futurist' that LizzieM referred to earlier. Joined the Fabulous Beatmen in the 60s as lead singer and spent 4 months at the Top Ten in Hamburg. Came back to tour the UK and released two recor

My head is buzzing with the fondest of memories of the Locarno - which we always still called 'the Vic'. I believe that the first time I attended was a Saturday afternoon session in the back end of 1

Having only last night discovered this amazingly nostalgic site myself - I've extended an invitation to my Brother Steve plus good friend Richard (Rock) Wheatley who played lead guitar with Tony and t

I'm the 'Futurist' that LizzieM referred to earlier. Joined the Fabulous Beatmen in the 60s as lead singer and spent 4 months at the Top Ten in Hamburg. Came back to tour the UK and released two records on the Pye label, 3 sides of which were written by me. Appeared on TV in Thank Your Lucky Stars and Five O'clock Club. Appeared at many fabulous venues around the country including the Royal Albert Hall but hey, we don't wish to brag!

The group came apart in the late 60s and joined up with a Manchester band called the Lemon Line. The Beatmen got back together around 2000 (by now no longer 'fabulous') and worked the clubs and pubs for a few years before joining up with the terrific Sarah Middleton Woolley (Check her out on YouTube) as the Reflections. Mostly retired now but don't regret a moment of it.

• Upvote 5

Thanks for getting on Futurist, and filling in a few details. There's nothing like live music.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Futurist, sorry I've been off site for a while.

Yes, I'm a friend of Sarah's on Facebook and I know quite a few of the musos who she's sung with - Nig Smith, Roger Lymn, Pat Wright, Clancy, my Brother - Steve Peters, Walt Savage and John Landon.

I understand that Bill Brasier lives in Bleasby (where I did many years beforehand) and Paul Mountain in Bulcote.

Three of four years ago I stood in as a drummer for a number of gigs in Nottm with Rock Wheatley, Spike and Stan late of the Varitones.

I live and drum in Norfolk now - but the music over here is quite different to that I've experienced first hand back in Nottingham

Looking back over my previous (June) threads, I now see that I've repeated myself a great deal, Futurist; my apologies - I should have re-read things first.

I have to say that I have never experienced such erratic comings and goings and fall outs, elsewhere, as I have amongst the names I have listed above. The (unfabulous) Beatmen, for instance, seem to do one - or at the most - two gigs and then have to withdraw and reform.

The musicianship in Norfolk is quite something to behold and I put this down to the amount of American forces who were stationed in East Anglia during and after the war and the musical legacy they brought with them and left behind.

Not just that, the coastal holiday and caravan parks still pull in a lot of bands whereas, sadly, I guess most of the Notts and Derbys miners welfares shut down

It must be the moonshine... Hic. !

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...