Rock and Roll at the Locarno

Oh yes. I remember it well. Nipping outside on the fire escape for a smoke and a bottle of Home Stout we smuggled in from The Britannia Inn. Those were the days

I remember Colmans inthe late 50s/60s and the Locarno and Palais, Going to the Crystal Palace for a drink,
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm the 'Futurist' that LizzieM referred to earlier. Joined the Fabulous Beatmen in the 60s as lead singer and spent 4 months at the Top Ten in Hamburg. Came back to tour the UK and released two recor

My head is buzzing with the fondest of memories of the Locarno - which we always still called 'the Vic'. I believe that the first time I attended was a Saturday afternoon session in the back end of 1

Having only last night discovered this amazingly nostalgic site myself - I've extended an invitation to my Brother Steve plus good friend Richard (Rock) Wheatley who played lead guitar with Tony and t

I used to go to the Locarno on Tuesday nights in 1962. Was that teen night? I went with the 5 other girls in the punch card training centre at Raleigh. We all started the same day having all left school Xmas 61. I don't remember much about the place except we'd all dance in a circle with our handbags in the middle, on the floor. I wonder where these girls are now, anyone recognise a name. Janet Fearon, Margaret Haigh, Marlene & Margaret Fitzgibbons [they were non-identical twins, all lived St Anns', Bluebell Hill, that area] and Sue Johnson Ah memories.

Well, this site just gets better and better for me...Tuesdays nights was indeed Teen night and Miming contest night, I came 2nd one week with Dion's "Runaround Sue"...I also got my nose broken one Tuesday night also...Oh Happy Days.

Owdtite.

Yep! Great site!

We used to go to the Locarno in our dinner hour for a jive - can`t remember the day, must have been Friday I suppose.

This would have been 1960/61 ish.

No wonder I was skinny in those days. Rockin` and Rollin` all dinner time but no dinner!

Should try it now perhaps......

• 1 month later...

Anyone remember the Nottingham boxer who used to be the doorman (bouncer) at the Lacarno in the early 60's. m His ring name was Johnny Carrington but I cannot remember his correct surname. He and his family were also barrow boys selling fruit/Veg from a barrow on St Peters Square and Broadmarsh area.

JOHNNY CARRINGTON WAS A GREAT CHARACTER,once a friend a friend for life,in the 1950s I used to play football with him for THURSDAY VILLA in the Notts Thursday league,he was a strong fellow but I never knew him to get aggressive,I used to see him regularly selling his wares on Exchange walk,

he always had time for a chat but had an eye out for the police who moved him on for street trading.

I think John moved out to Clifton in the 1950's I think he was a member of the Larvin family.

• 3 months later...

I used to go to the Locarno on Tuesday nights in 1962. Was that teen night? I went with the 5 other girls in the punch card training centre at Raleigh. We all started the same day having all left school Xmas 61. I don't remember much about the place except we'd all dance in a circle with our handbags in the middle, on the floor. I wonder where these girls are now, anyone recognise a name. Janet Fearon, Margaret Haigh, Marlene & Margaret Fitzgibbons [they were non-identical twins, all lived St Anns', Bluebell Hill, that area] and Sue Johnson Ah memories.

I used to work in the punch room at Raleigh in 1960. Also my cousin Christine Fearn worked there.

Pat

• 2 months later...

I remember going to the Locarno on Saturday nights and also on Sundays. I seem to recall it was a "Sunday club" that you needed to have membership of. Sundays went from (I think) 3.00pm to 11.00pm. I remember seeing Sounds Incorporated and Freddy and the Dreamers and several other top bands.

I remember seeing Sounds Incorporated

Fangs fer that :)

Heres a reminder then

Sounds Incorporated in concert for Shell (1964) - Part 1of2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqQlHaqd1g

Sounds Incorporated in concert for Shell (1964) - Part 2of2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvs4azZiILw

• 1 month later...

If it's the same Mick Cupid, he had a bike in the early 60's and was in the Clifton Saints, not to be confused with another biker gang called the Meadows Saints.

He had a brother called Brian, who was always ready for a fight, Brian was mates with Johnny Carrington, who, by the way, was known as Carro.

After a some of years of hostility, the Clifton Saints and the Aces got together one bank holiday at the Ship at Skeggy, and guess what, we found out we were just the same as each other, and we had a good time together.

I remember one of Mick cupid's mates was called Barney he was 6ft, had thinning blond hair and rode a 1964 Bonneville.

IIRC Mick died of complications following a car crash in the late 90's.

Brian and Mick did live at Clifton,on Farnborough road near the Comp school Brian being the oldest and a good friend of mine,and their name ws Cupitt

hi Lynmee, did you know the Fletchers on bridgnorth drive,clifton,then. Mick Fletcher was me best mate (he being cousins with Mick Cupitt) we used to go to compo school, we left in 65,i lived on ellerby avenue.I recall the name Mee.

Hi 2mortar1

Sorry,I don't recall the Fletchers,I also lived on Farnborough Rd but neither me or my other half,Alan Mee,went to school in Clifton I went to Mundella and he went to Greenwood.We both lived in Clifto from !953 t0 1963 when we got married.Brian Cupitt,who we both new from the Locarno Days,was a few years older than Mick.

• 1 month later...

Johnny Carro used to do the skipping rope to the music some times at the Locarno

I remember there was a Beatles hair competition one tues i came last i think , Wish i had some of that last place hair now

I went to the Locarno. Think the 1st time I went was when I was 14 LOL. It was the lunch time session. When I left school & went to work I was 5 mins away from there so used to go in my lunch hour.I remember Cupe, the Pownalls, the barrow boy lads all used to go too. I also used to go on Saturdays, was a good crowd in there & the music was GREAT.

Were you very blonde when you went to the locarno if so now i know exactly who you are

DGBRIT

I was VERY blonde when I went to the Locarno.........but my pic is on the Rockers site for ya to see what I looked like when I was about 17/18 I'm the blonde on the Bonnie.........lol

Editors note

It is possible to Link images to posts here.

I am sure RR wont mind hotlinking in return for some publicity

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to Johnny Larvin (Johnny Carro, Johnny Carrington), he is my fathers late uncle I would just like to correct a previous comment, it was stated he just dropped dead while out for a run, sadly that wasnt the case Johnny Larvin was actually ran over and killed near trent bridge.

Thanks for correcting the record Huggett.

Sorry to hear of accident that Johnny was involved in.

With your connections do you have any images that we could use showing

the markets or market people from old Notts?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there old enough to remember the best place to go in the late 50s and early 60s,not the Palais or Colmans or the Astoria but the Locarno on St Anns Well Rd.

Lynmee lips0

Yes - I am that old!!! I know this is a late reply but I have only just joined this site. I used to go to the Locarno in my lunch hour from work. Me and a friend used to go regularly in 1957.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...