Blue sugar bags.

I seem to recall the co-op (and possibly other stores)selling loose sugar in blue paper bags. I was told that the reason for the bags being blue was that no other foodstuffs were sold in blue, so it was easy to recognise. Can anyone tell me the real reason for the loose sugar being sold exclusively in blue bags, please?

No Idea Jill......i do remember using them....when the Sugar was sold by 'Gross weight'' Blue bags being much heavier       

Yes Mrs Lewis

Nob of Blue please Ben

There we are thats Sixpence...are you washing tonight?

No Rita's doing it...so she wont be out till later....

• Like 1

We used Dolly blue bags for wasp stings too. Excellent result. I think you can still get them on Amazon

But the trick is PP., how many pennies did they used to put in a roll. A decent gasman could do a roll in milliseconds. Me, I just waited for the rebate !

It was fascinating watching the gas man count, stack and roll the pennies into tubes. Very slick.

Can't remember the value of each roll but I would guess 50 pennies, or 10 shillings?

Can you imagine what it was like when the gas or electricity ran out and no coins to put in the meter?

I remember it happening a few times as a boy. Candle and box of matches kept handy.

It wouldn't have been 50 pennies PP, as that would be 4/2d. I would hazard a guess, based on my conductors years, when hold 6 pennies to rattle when collecting fares, so my guess would be stacks of 12 pennies (1/0shilling). 

Or perhaps 24 (2 bob).

10 shillings would have been 120 pennies, and no way could you roll that lot into a stack.   B.

• Like 1

Even I can remember nipping round to Mrs.Taylors grocery shop on Denman Street, between Denton and Ronald streets, to buy half a pound of sugar, when funds were low. Bless her, she would weigh 4oz of sugar in some cases. That would be early 50s.

5 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

It was fascinating watching the gas man count, stack and roll the pennies into tubes. Very slick.

Can't remember the value of each roll but I would guess 50 pennies, or 10 shillings?

Our gas meter on Clifton took 1/- pieces. I also remember being fascinated by watching the gas man count them all up at high speed.

With all greatest respect CT, you're not old enough to remember meters taking pennies. Where we lived on Denton Street, there were no such thing as power points. Them as did have them were of the round pin type. But that's got nowt to do wi' gasmen. 

Cliff Ton, I think we both agreed last Thursday that we were of the same age starting at Midland and I don’t remember the blue sugar bags either! We’re obvs just young uns .

Mrs B

• Like 1