28 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I vaguely remember the lock exit  from the Grantham Canal into the Trent just after the football ground but that was in the ‘50’s. Does that still remain?

Still there as far as I know, the river level is a lot lower than the canal, upstream and diagonally across the river from the canal is the entrance/exit of the Nottingham canal (behind Turneys) I think there was some sort of footbridge or sommat across the river there at some point

Rog

Leawood pump station on the Cromford canal, the engine is a beam engine and it lifts water from th river Derwent up to the canal above at the rate of four tons per stroke, it is in steam at odd times but if you get the chance to see it running it is well worth it

Leawood_pump_house.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have mixed memories of canals, my brother lived on a narrow boat which was moored at Etruria which he loved. Ex car mechanic so loved the mechanics. I actually fell in the canal off a small boat in Loughborough about 5 years ago, went right under and had to be hauled out by a passing dog walker. My mobile phone was fizzing in my pocket so had to dismantle it and get a new one. Someone from a moored boat provided me with dry clothes to get back home which was very kind. Very lucky that I didn’t come into contact with something like a shopping trolley or anything else that might have been lurking in there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Last time I was in that area there was a lovely Bantam tug moored up, don't know whether it was being restored though, great little work horses, love the picture Pianoman

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

Newark Town lock, this working barge has an old two cylinder long stroke engine that sounded beautiful but I don't think I could listen to it thumping away all day

Newark_24.04_(9).jpg

Newark_24.04_(8).jpg

Rog

• Like 2
1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

Gardner?

It could be, I tried asking the boat owner but he couldn't hear me over the engine noise, could have been an old Lister, I have a single cylinder Lister diesel rated at 10.5 hp that would do nicely in a small narrow boat

Rog

8 hours ago, littlebro said:

It's a National DA2

I just had a read about the National engine, it could well have been one of those, the reason I say that is the RPM when idling, 180rpm and upto 1500rpm on full revs, I don't think Listers or Gardners idled that low but I could be wrong, 

Rog

On 1/9/2023 at 9:01 AM, littlebro said:

The full story of the canal boat is here: National DA2 Engine (nationalengine.blogspot.com)

Great story about the engine and a bonus video at the end, don't she sound great? what I call "Industrial music"

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 10 months later...

Meadow Lane lock (where canal joins the Trent across from City Ground) is having new lower gates fitted.  There is an open day by the Canal and River Trust this Sunday 11:00am to 3:00pm, for anyone who wants to have a closer look.

https://nottstv.com/giant-new-canal-lock-gates-lowered-into-place-at-meadow-lane-landmark/

• Like 2
15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It'll be well worth a look. I went down into to Newark Town lock when they replaced the gates there. Very interesting.

Newark_Town_lock_open_day_(3).jpg

Newark_Town_lock_open_day_(4).jpg

as Phil said a very interesting day, not very often you get to the bottom of a canal lock without getting your feet wet

Rog

• Like 2