Lucknow Avenue and the Goodall Family

An appeal on behalf of a friend who has been given some original correspondence relating to George Goodall, a wealthy hosiery manufacturer who lived at one time on Lucknow Avenue in Mapperley Park. His son was George Percy Goodall who was a solicitor and whose premature demise occurred during The Great War. He was a captain with the 10th Btn Sherwood Foresters. There is a plethora of information about both on the net.

What my friend is trying to elicit is the name or number of the house in Lucknow Avenue. Although listed in the 1901 and 1911 census returns, the house name or number is not given. I have checked a 1904 Kelly's I have only to find the house name or number is not identified.

I think Lucknow Avenue was possibly far less developed in those days than is now the case.

If anyone is able to shed any light on this mystery, my friend would be obliged. There is other correspondence which I intend to do a bit of work on and which will probably, ultimately, go to Nottinghamshire Archives.

I once knocked on a door in Lucknow Drive to collect our company’s solicitor who was to accompany me on a flight to Dublin (Richard Brook - you may have known him Jill). I was somewhat surprised when an Indian lady in a sari answered. Does he have servants I thought? It turned out I should have gone to the same number on Lucknow Avenue! :biggrin:

The directory lists the houses between Magdala Road and Tavistock Avenue. In the map on the left (circa 1915) there are only four houses (arrowed) on that stretch, so I reckon you could assign the names to each one.....with both Goodalls being in the first house, and the other names in the subsequent buildings.

sI1oJr5.jpg

The map on the right shows additions and alterations by the late 1940s.

• Like 1

I think what is needed is a way of setting Street View to earlier dates!

I reckon that the larger houses in that area would have had names rather than numbers. 

That’s only a couple of hundred yards from our house so tomorrow I’ll go and have a look for you.  I think there are just a couple more houses there now, one down in the area that looks wooded, in fact it was for sale when we were looking to buy up here in Nottingham. 

On today's Street View you can see the Victorian large houses with the later more modern houses infilled.

Looks as if all are numbered now but I bet they had names.

Lizzie M has kindly been to have a look at this area today and sent me some photos. My reading of the none too clear census in 1901 was not too far off the mark. The other two houses were Winfield House and Glenthorne. Names are still extant. The property with no name, ie the Goodall residence, is now number 1. Sadly, Lizzie reports that it appears derelict and overgrown. I think that this clarifies which property my chum was looking for. Many thanks @LizzieM

So the house names were in the Directory entry I posted two days ago.   

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/23794-lucknow-avenue-and-the-goodall-family/?tab=comments#comment-698008

I assumed Glenthorne and Wingfield were the surnames of occupants.  And the next house along is/was East Claydon. And the Goodall house didn't have any name.

• Like 1