Hi-Fi old and new

I still have the Audiovox Speakers that I bought with the original system from the NEW Comet at Stapleford around 1974.

System: Amstrad IC2000 Amplifier, BSR McDonald Deck,Audiovox Speakers. Can't remember how much it was, but cheap.

In 1975 I upgraded to a Pioneer SX636 Tuner amp, and Pioneer PL12D Deck which are still in use today?

57428078_full.jpg

pl12d-lidup-r.jpgarm.jpg

Oh yes I also have an AKAI Cassette tape deck (with Dolby), same era somewhere.

AKAI made good stuff then.

This has been discussed before at

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?sh...amp;#entry19784

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until I saw the Comet speakers I thought I might have sold you that system in the 70's lol. I used to work at Laskys on lower parliament st, next door to the Miltons Head pub and the Golden Egg cafe.

It was the early 90’s not 80's. He apparently retired. If he sold out or went bust I don’t know but he set up another company. If you google it you’ll find it. I was mad keen on hifi once and had a Le

Hi Letsav... My speakers have been the same for over 20 years.  I won a pair of Rogers Studio 3 from Hi Fi World Magazine around 1995 ish.  They are a small infinite baffle design, based on the c

Mick, that Amstrad/ BSR/ Audiovox system is almost the same as the systems we used to sell at L&M supplies in Bramcote that Val mentions, except our speakers were EMI, equipped with a 13x9 bass unit, with a choice of 2 or 3 tweeters across the front of the unit. They were crap!.

At the time, that system cost around £60, that was supposed to be a 50% discount on full retail.

Re the Leak amp v Rogers, yes that comparison went on at the time with stuff from Armstrong as well.

My next step up from that system, was to add a Quad 33/303 combo, and then B & W speakers, cant remember the model number, but they were lots bigger than the Super Lintons, and had a tweeter attenuator on them.

Thomas Danks of Thurland Street...

Weren't they best known for urinals/WC's/drains etc?

Cheers

Robt P.

Are you thinking of 'Twyfords Adamants'

Stood reading that many times

Nah. Armitage Shanks

Thanks Bip.

I assume the good looking boxer is yours.

As you say there are many trials and tribulations to dog ownership. But they are worth it.

My Black Lab is now 9 years old but a great dog. Often call him loppylugs - among other less polite names. Real name is Solomon. Usually shortened to Sol.

Dave

Yes he's mine now.......he will be four in April......he's the second Boxer I have had, my first was back in the early seventies, a red named Brette.....This one is called Diezel, a brindle, don't ask me why he's called Diezel maybe because I drive a Diesel Car...may wife, God Bless her named him and I never asked why.

Bip.

Are you thinking of 'Twyfords Adamants'Stood reading that many times

No, certainly [Thomas] Danks...also often read whilst in a certain standing mode...

Also read on man-hole covers...

Cheers

Robt P.

Never was into Hi Fi but I knew a chap at work who was.

He was a bit of an anorak about the subject of amps and such, I could never understand all that technical speak..

To tell you the truth I will be looking for a new system myself when I have got my front room sorted, the Pioneer will if I can’t flog it to a passing social worker will be heading for the tip.

A midi system is all I shall want, don’t need all manner of things attached, something nice and easy to understand so as my brain doesn’t get over heated while looking for the button to turn it on from standby. Any suggestions?

Bip.

• 2 years later...

Nothing to do with Hi fi but reminds me of a lady where I went to check out a 'frig. She said it had stopped working but it was running just fine when I got there. Checked it over and told her to just keep an eye on it and let us know real quick if it acted up again. After all we can't just replace parts and HOPE we fixed it.

She then asked me when it would act up again. To which I replied, "I don't know." after all I didn't.

She then got quite huffy and demanded to know when it would act up again. I suggested that she might like to contact a fortune teller rather than a tech'. I probably shouldn't have done that but I was having one of those days. She said she would call my office so I gave her the phone number. The foreman got a kick out of it anyway. Some folks should just avoid technology.

Dave

Also off topic, intermittent faults were the "bane of my life"! I/we had one, I say we as three other electricians had the same problem and couldn't crack it, it never stayed on long enough for any of us to diagnose the problem. Always cleared during the testing procedure. This went on for weeks with many hours of downtime!! I spent several hours one Saturday maintenance shift going through the equipment with an AVO. Couldn't find a thing wrong. Weeks wpould go by with no trouble, then the workshop phone would ring or the tannoy system would shout my name . I'd get down there, go through the fault finding, everything checks out OK conveyor starts up perfect! God it got frustrating at times! It eventually did stay on long enough one day shift, I was on afters and followed up on it. Turns out to be an electronic module, cost??? several hundred pounds, but caused thousands of pounds in lost production. Following Saturday on overtime, I replaced ALL the modules in that unit. Never caused any problems after that.

One of the problems with old tube gear is electrolytic capacitors drying out over the years, plus some of the other types needing replacement now.

I've an old Halicrafters tube radio that I have to "recap" when I get the time and benchspace, plus a couple of signal generators too. I've found some decent online component dealers who sell brand new electrolytics at good prices.

LOL - not to mention having to deal with the HT section (and the capacitors located there)!

Haven't played with anything with tubes in years - these days anything over 12v makes me nervous! rotfl.gif

The most expensive ones are the filter caps, two in one can three and up to four in a can Eric. What radio restorers do, is cut the can open near the bottom, remove the old guts of the cap, and insert more modern single elec caps. Insulate them and put the can top back on.

All the other 450 volt rated caps are readily available. It's also wise to replace the "black bombs" as they are usually prone to leaking after all these years.

There's some good websites showing before and after a tube radio restoration. Some very dedicated folks out there!!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm currently (no pun intended) using a pretty much all valve set-up, but modern .

I have a Linn Lp 12 turntable with a Linn Lingo Power supply. (It provides a clean power supply to the motor for accurate and smooth running. Also allows for electronic speed change.)

An Esoteric Audio Research all valve phono stage.

A Papworth Audio Technology PPA6 pre amp.

A pair of Papworth M100 all valve mono power amps.

and a pair of Rogers Studio 3 Speakers.

Also use a TEAC P-30 CD Transport, with a Benchmark DAC 1 Digital to analogue converter.

I used to have a Rogers Cadet 3. With the right speakers it is a little gem.

When I was DJ ing at the 360 club, we used a pair of Leak 50 mono valve amps in 'dual mono' configuration.

The best of the old hi-fi can easily compete with modern stuff. The Garrard 301/401 and Thorens TD150 and TD124 decks. Leak TL12, Stereo 20, etc., amps. Quad II amps etc. Tannoy 'Dual Concentric' speaker units also superb.

Little known fact: The run of 'Quad II Celebration' amps marketed in the late 90s, were in fact manufactured by Papworth of Cambridge whose products I useter distribute. Some were manufactured in Gold Plate finish, and fitted with Solid Silver ameplates. They were supplied in Red Velvet Bags, inside substantial boxes.

Very nice.. if you had £6k..

Col

I used to have a Rogers Cadet 3. With the right speakers it is a little gem.

Col

Used a Cadet 3 for years until it finally just died of old age. A great amp. Can't be bothered to spend too much on hi-fi these days.

Probably couldn't hear the finer points of it anyway.

Same here Dave, even answering the telephone these days is a chore, I have to ask folks to slow down and many times have them repeat things. One time I could hear the sound bats make in flight... Mick called me when he was stateside once, good God I had a hard time.. So Hi Fi is out for me now.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if anyone's interested, but Heathkit are going to get back into the kit market again!! They designed some great Hi Fi kits years back, at the moment they are doing market research to find out what it will stand..

• 2 weeks later...