Hi-Fi old and new

Hi Letsav...

My speakers have been the same for over 20 years.  I won a pair of Rogers Studio 3 from Hi Fi World Magazine around 1995 ish.  They are a small infinite baffle design, based on the classic BBC LS3-5/A, which was originally intended as a near field studio monitor.  I run them with Rogers AB3 'Auxiliary Bass Units', which Andy Whittle (Rogers' designer) kindly made for me.  So, what they amount to is a small floorstanding speaker.. but a very high quality one.  They don't do 'seismic' bass, but they go respectably deep, and they really score on stereo imaging, very fast response to things such as Ashkenazy playing the old piano, and  very good tonal accuracy.  I've found nothing to replace them in my room.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until I saw the Comet speakers I thought I might have sold you that system in the 70's lol. I used to work at Laskys on lower parliament st, next door to the Miltons Head pub and the Golden Egg cafe.

It was the early 90’s not 80's. He apparently retired. If he sold out or went bust I don’t know but he set up another company. If you google it you’ll find it. I was mad keen on hifi once and had a Le

Hi Letsav... My speakers have been the same for over 20 years.  I won a pair of Rogers Studio 3 from Hi Fi World Magazine around 1995 ish.  They are a small infinite baffle design, based on the c

Oh dear.  Not a good way to find out.

• 1 year later...

Started with a system from Comet in the mid 70's; Garrard turntable, Rotel amp - 10w x2, crap speakers and a phillips cassette with n AC/DC converter made by a mate. (simple wheatstone bridge etc). Now I have a Linn Sander LP12 (1972 - but brought into the 21st century with external power, new baseboard, lid, hinges, suspension, motor wiring etc, KT88 single-ended tube amp (and a Rega Brio), VAF speakers (from South Australia) Oh yeh and a sub from REL in Wales.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Winnie6664 said:

Started with a system from Comet in the mid 70's; Garrard turntable, Rotel amp - 10w x2, crap speakers and a phillips cassette with n AC/DC converter made by a mate. (simple wheatstone bridge etc). Now I have a Linn Sander LP12 (1972 - but brought into the 21st century with external power, new baseboard, lid, hinges, suspension, motor wiring etc, KT88 single-ended tube amp (and a Rega Brio), VAF speakers (from South Australia) Oh yeh and a sub from REL in Wales.

I know the LP 12 is a revered turntable for many. I had one for the better part of 20 years, which was probably at least 15 years too long.  It never really 'delivered' for me. I now have a Michell Orbe SE, and LFD amp and Rogers speakers. I also use an Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 server, which holds all of my digital music so I don't have to battle with thousands of icky CD cases. I had some spectacular valve stuff, including Papworth kit.. but it is all beaten by my LFD integrated amp.

• 2 months later...