Hogmanay camping

It has been my custom, for more years than I care to remember, to camp out by my well on Hogmanay to get away from it all here in the far north of Scotland, where the event is a big thing. It snowed steadily all day yesterday and when the sun went down it froze. I managed to get my tent up before dark and retired for the evening at around 2200hrs. I survived the snow and freezing temperatures (-4°C). This morning at 0530 I got up and the tent was frozen solid above me! I took my mountain bike out and went for my usual New Year's Day bike ride. It was quite scary with yesterday's snow all frozen and the ice on the roads where it had partially thawed before freezing again overnight, into ridges and sheets of frozen slush. By 0630 I was back indoors, having covered the allotted four miles of country lanes. My tent was laid out in the loft to dry before packing away and my porridge was cooking nicely by 0700. It's now 1118hrts and I'm just about warmed up! Not bad for a 72yr old - even though I do say it myself.

• Like 3

Well done Paul, I always read your new years exploits under "canvas" although it's probably nylon these days, fair play and happy new year to you mate

Rog

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Beekay said:

They do some lovely fish n chips up there. !

I remember the large fresh lobsters and crabs we used to buy on the quayside in Oban to take back to the cottage. Preferably eaten with chips of course. Ive been going to Scotland for many years both for business and pleasure. Back in the sixties chips were the staple diet but civilisation has gradually crept northwards. I remember a crab salad in the fishing port of Campbelltown where the crab was out of a tin!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 5:29 PM, Beekay said:

They do some lovely fish n chips up there. !

You almost need a second mortgage to buy them though! One portion of "Regular" fish and chips to take away in Golspie: £9.30!

On 1/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, philmayfield said:

I remember a crab salad in the fishing port of Campbelltown where the crab was out of a tin!

Nothing surprises me about Campbelltown!

On 1/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, siddha said:

I am impressed what a good thing to do. I would like to live in Scotland seems to me to be a good place to be.

Even when the weather is like this? Winter North Atlantic storm approaching Dunnet Head on the North coast of Scotland.

north-atalantic-winter-storm-at-Dunnet-H

• Like 2

I'm afraid I've not bought fish n chips for years. Not when I can get 2 breaded cod fillets from Tesco (other stores available) for only £2.40. Plus some chips in the air fryer. That'll do me. 

• Like 2

True, very true Phil., but then again we all have to make small sacrifices in the name of economy. Crispy batter is nice but you don't always get it if the chippies oil is not hot enough.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Compo said:

Even when the weather is like this? Winter North Atlantic storm approaching Dunnet Head on the North coast of Scotland.

Great picture!

Yes even with the weather like that! There is something magnificent about the elements and that wouldnt put me off provided where I lived could keep out the rain , wind and cold. And I had decent gear to wear when outside.