Bouncers and Boxers?

Just reading some recent posts here about Doormen who were also Boxers, or had Boxing connections, there are other threads here linked, (search them).

Dont forget Frank Froch, who was the bouncer... Er Sorry, Doorman at the Arriba,

(with sidekick George?) and The George Hotel (also mentioned here re Mary aka Mrs 'beehive haircut' Slocombe, the barmaid with Nottingham 'Au Wiedersehen Pet' connections)

Franks Son Carl is a well known boxer today.

I remember going to see 'Raging Bull' when it premiered at the ABC (Date?)

Many of these faces were there including Stu Morris, also of recent Nottstalgia postings.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

What about Linkie Wilson head doorman at the black orchid former mr universe that one

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

The Origami channel (Paper view!!) Started at 8.00pm fight starts about 9.00pm, I'm off to my local at half past to watch it , after collecting SWMBO from work!!

!congrats! Red.............Little bloke 'did' the big bloke!! Horray for the little blokes!!(nothing little about 15 stone & 6ft 3" Though)............... !bravo!

It wasn't the most exciting fight I have ever seen but he was well worth the win IMHO and he certainly had him rocking in the last round !!!

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

i worked in nottingham as a bouncer for the last 10 years.

i have worked at

the horn in hand

bar risa

jongleurs

waterfront

the horn in hand (again)

eleven

bluu

flares

reflex

trent bridge inn

just to name a few, became head doorman after years of hard work, i had so much fun and met so many great people. i will dig some of my old pictures out..

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Names that come to mind in the pro boxer / doormen thread , these are lads ive worked with that were working on the doors in nottingham back in the 80's and early 90,s. Osbourne taylor , now in his 50,s. still works doors in nottingham , his dad incidentally worked on the door at the old cubra libra on hurts yard and later with us at the Cookie Club till he was 70. always wore a trilby hat on the door.

Next we have two brothers who both boxed professionally in the 80's and 90's , Chris and Tony Richards. Tony started his door career aged 17 at the Turf Tavern. Chris worked at places like the QE , The Thurland , early 90's moving to O' reillys where i worked with him plus many more. Both lads still active on the doors although retired from boxing. I last worked with Chris last saturday, 2 nights ago. Always a pleasure.

Lastly but no means leastly is my old friend of many years, Steve Ward. I first worked with Steve around 1993 at what then was the Corn Exchange on Thurland Street, Steve was head doorman there. Very busy pub at that time.

Now Steve is in his early 50's, im sure he wont mind me telling you his age. To look at him he looks 20 year younger. Last year he made a come back in the world of boxing.He won his first fight , sure hes gone onto win more since .He also regularlly takes part in triathalons.

A lot of the old faces i started off working with have now retired but theres a good example of four quality doormen who boxed to earn a living who are still out there on a Friday and Saturday night after all these years.

Say ayup to 'little Chris' from me when you next see him will you, about the last time I saw him I covered for him at the QE when his second? child was born, and one from the 'world of weird coincidence' at the same time I was working on an agencies books (Driving) and got sent to a place called Kitsons out Glaisdale Drive way. Guess who's job I was doing for a few days ? Yup Chris's !!

That was about the last time I saw him in the flesh

Thinking about it , the last time I did actually see Chris was on some telly programme about drunken violence on the streets of Nott'm in around 1999!!

Oh yes , say hello to my old mate Ossie as well if you see him, ta.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If we are talking about the brothers Chris and Tony Richards? I was one of Chris's mates form school but managed to bumped into him through pure luck after years with no contact after leaving school, I was delighted to see a old mate again and tony too, they are two nice genuine chaps. I text Chris to wish him a happy new year and was delighted to hear he just become a granddad, He seems to have loved his boxing for along time and Liverpool fc for as long as I known him... 11yrs old

Is that Chris Richards of Radford Gallery fame, he is a member here, but as far as I can see the Gallery is no longer on line, but images available in his book

Riffs pics of Radford. - Old Radford

Whist searching I did find this excellent collection of Nottingham pictures.

http://www.panoramio.com/user/2177737?with_photo_id=14858629

used to supply security (bouncers) (doormen) to boxing shows in and around Nottm,victoria baths,albany hotel,mansfield leisure centre among others,had some memorable times,mostly funny but some a bit airy.One that stands out was at the Albany around 2001,a famous (infamous)gang from Bestwood attended in force,must have been about 15 of em,and iam sure several undercover coppers were there as well.everything was going well,until the Brummy comedian came on,his jokes were naff and his accent you could hardly understand. This didnt please the Bestwood fraternity and all hell broke loose,objects thrown into the ring and loads of verbal,my lads managed to get him out the hotel unscathed and he even refused to take his money,vowing never to return to nottm.once he had gone it all calmed down,and it was a really good night.

Shane mcphilbin from Bulwell is a prime example of boxer/bouncer today, won the British title only last year and still works as a doorman,i believe he also runs a boxing club for aspiring younsters in the Bulwell/Hucknal area

• 1 month later...