Curry houses in Nottm

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Radfordred, you should write a food column in the Post ...... I'll check your reviews before I book a table at any Nottingham restaurant in future!

Thats interesting to know as Royce was my half brother and he actually went back to Bangladesh i guess in those days it would have been East Paklstan and  sadly died poor and destitute in about 2002  

For me, the finest Indian restaurant from the late 70s and early 80s was Laguna Tandoori on Mount Street. I visited the place a couple of moths ago, and the menu hadn't changed. It doesn't need to.

All this talk of curry houses has set my tastebuds going. My weakness is a good curry and rice.

Notice the one mentioned on Mapperley tops is in the old Marsdens/Pork farms building, cannot remember it from when I was last there in 2011 though.

Even my wife commented that I am due another trip back to satisfy my cravings :-))

We've been going for a good few years now banjo, it's well worth a visit, and as I stated on a previous post, it's a very extensive menu.

I love fish and seafood dishes and there are some great Chefs Specials. Give it a go.

Mercurydancer, there is now a new restaurant in between mem saab and 45,000 miles from Delhi.It is owned by the original owner of mem saab.

So now there is 4 top end curry houses next door to each other.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Brothers-began/story-20760949-detail/story.html

I think that will get a visit. I seem to remember the Dhaliwal family involved in other Indian restaurants but cant recall where.

• 4 months later...

Just found this topic and can confirm that the Koh-i-Nor (Just below the bank on Alfreton Rd backing onto Peveril St.) was the first in Nottingham. The owner was Mr Udin and his son, Royce Udin went to Berridge and was also in the scouts with me. The resto was operating before 1950. There was always speculation about Mrs Udin - being white but Royce was almost black like his dad. Really nice lad was Royce. About 30 years ago I went in for a curry and asked after Royce. I was told that he had returned to India and was a very very very rich man.

• Upvote 2

Went to the Calcutta Club a little more than a week ago. My spiritual curry home is the Laguna but my mrs finds the menu a little limited (she hates curry basically) so we went to the Calcutta Club as they had more variety, particularly the crispy salmon which isnt Indian food at all. She found it totally adorable and would go again for the other dish she liked the look of, the chicken.

Its well up there with the best. The mussels are very similar to Mem Sa'ab but lovely. The boatmans king prawn curry was superb.

I often visit London and I can assure you that this little corner of Nottingham can beat any London has to offer hands down.

Having re-booted the forum to thread alerts I have been on in the past, I can now keep track of previous postings.

Craig earlier on in this thread enlightened me to the name of my first curry experience being at the Darjeeling top of Mansfield Road, I even remember my first dish, it was a Chicken Danshak.

I was at Clarendon College at the time & 17, there was a new guy in class down from Glasgow, moving into Nottingham who I became friends with who took me there I introduced to the finer arts of Indian Cuisine, being a year older than me, he was like an older brother & of course, being from Glasgow, which at that time, was already saturated in great Asian cuisine & culture.

Though I am no longer cooking for a living, I sometimes work & consult on Scottish high grade weddings & functions, & being now after 40 + years very steeped in all the secrets of Indian/Bangladeshi etc Cuisine, it always seems that when dinner parties are called for it is always me hosting Lol!

Just found this topic and can confirm that the Koh-i-Nor (Just below the bank on Alfreton Rd backing onto Peveril St.) was the first in Nottingham. The owner was Mr Udin and his son, Royce Udin went to Berridge and was also in the scouts with me. The resto was operating before 1950. There was always speculation about Mrs Udin - being white but Royce was almost black like his dad. Really nice lad was Royce. About 30 years ago I went in for a curry and asked after Royce. I was told that he had returned to India and was a very very very rich man.

Think the Koh-I-nor was my very first experience of a curry, my brother took me when I was about 15 and ordered me the hottest it chicken dish I have ever had ! I only ate a small bit of as it was so hot, my brother scoffed both meals, think he knew what he was doing :-)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...