Curry houses in Nottm

My first ever curry was at a Restaurant at the top of Derby Road, near canning Circus on the right, name escapes me.

lot of other names are familiar, Noor Jahan I remember as being particularly good & could just about manage a Ceylon in those days, remember they made the best Shami Kebabs I have ever tasted period, Purple Elephant was always good for a late night nosh, there used to be a slight timid waiter there who was always thanking you & bowing nervously, got a bit annoying after a while.

Then there was a place on Hockley, good for a late night feed too, & the owner was always happy to see you no matter how late.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Radfordred, you should write a food column in the Post ...... I'll check your reviews before I book a table at any Nottingham restaurant in future!

Thats interesting to know as Royce was my half brother and he actually went back to Bangladesh i guess in those days it would have been East Paklstan and  sadly died poor and destitute in about 2002  

For me, the finest Indian restaurant from the late 70s and early 80s was Laguna Tandoori on Mount Street. I visited the place a couple of moths ago, and the menu hadn't changed. It doesn't need to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure that the Golden was originally The Star of India, because it was owned by the dad of a dear mate of mine -Siraj Udin-Houssain and it was actually as thus the first curry house in NOTTINGHAM.

I thought that The Koh I Nor on Alfreton Rd was Nottinghams first Indian restaurant?

Id forgotten all about The Purple Elephant! I had many meals there, always thought the food was good.........

Also the Asian Deluxe was a popular haunt after club hours, Surook Miah I recall, oh the joy of a hot ruby burning your guts at 4 am!!!

In fact, one night, after id finished at The Babel, we went there, and it had been my turn to drive, had the usual ass burner, and on taking my mate back home to Gedling, I felt this very uncomfortable feeling down deep inside, and desperately needed the loo!

Problem was I couldnt go into his house cos of waking up his mum, so had to clench and drive back to Basford, where I only just managed to get my bum over the loo, and without being too graphic, splattered the bowl with the remains of the curry!!

Ah, them were t days!

Any body remember the cinema adverts???

"Just round the corner from this cinema"

I thought that The Koh I Nor on Alfreton Rd was Nottinghams first Indian restaurant?

When would that have been Craig ?

My mum & dad used to frequent one about 55 years ago. Apparantly the owner used to be in the army with my uncle.

They all stopped going there after the place was raided,,,,,,,,, and about 40 cats wre strung up in the freezer !

I think it was in the 'Post at the time.

I can't help recalling that,,,, as well as the disgusting kitchens (in some of 'em) every time i eat out,,,, but I still eat them, along with chinese etc etc.

Same people run the Desi in Hockley

And they are sited at the same premises that the Maharani was at when it opened in the 70's, run by the nephews of the owner of the Noor Jahan.

I enjoyed many meals there

And they are sited at the same premises that the Maharani was at when it opened in the 70's, run by the nephews of the owner of the Noor Jahan.

I enjoyed many meals there

No Friday night on Mansfield Road would be complete without a Ruby at The Knaw Yer Arm !clapping!

No Friday night on Mansfield Road would be complete without a Ruby at The Knaw Yer Arm !clapping!

Dont think ive mentioned this before, but when the likes of YMCA was in the chart, I was actually DJ'ing at the Noor Jahan on Saturday nights! This was when they had the next door too, which is now a kebab shop, and had a small dance floor, my payment of choice was food and drink enough for my giirl friend, and her sis and bro in law! This was when "Peter" who owns the Saagar in Sherwood, was the manager, prior to opening the Chand, also on Mansfield rd.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Simla in Kimberley was placed in the Top 10 UK curry houses via The Guardian , anyone been ?

Top marks to The Simla in James Street Kimberly took my chance did not book got the last table for 2 @ about 9pm , looked like most where having the set meal , 1st off complementary poppadoms chutney tray / chopped onion / lime pickle , after seeing the size of the starters a meal in its self went straight for the main event went for chefs specialties chicken karahi Mrs Red rogan josh & 1 garlic nan .

After 20min just managed to finish it shared nan half touched well & truly pegged out , parted with 30 quid .

Noticed the table of 4 where on the set menu when they brought out the main course they could have done with another table there was no where to put it all , shocked to see they did all clear there plates even after the humongous starter.

Not being a big eater i would have properly had not have gone if i had been told about the size of portions , but it gets 5 stars from me .

And I've woken up fine not a trump in sight .

http://www.simlarestaurant.co.uk/

Radfordred, not a single trump???? You are obviously not having it hot enough!

I had a takeaway last night from Garam Masala on Radford Rd, lamb tikka bhuna, madras hot, ( theirs is as hot as vindaloo, where of course vindaloo is hotter than madras, some places its the opposite way round)

And so far have had to visit the loo 5 times!

Now thats a good curry!

Must admit done the hot Curry's when i was 18 & out with the lads even though you could taste fcuk all but curry powder .

Now i tend to go for spice & taste with a small bit of fire .

Summat was open in Kimberley....wow

Not sure of the pubs name but the one opposite The Gate on the corner was rammed out.

Quite pleased to see Dillingers was closed down .

Red, its not curry powder that makes it hot, its chilli, either fresh or powdered.

I doubt that any Asian restaurant uses a curry powder mix, they use individual spices.

There, thats me Madhur Jaffrey bit over!