Curry houses in Nottm

Red, its not curry powder that makes it hot, its chilli, either fresh or powdered.

I doubt that any Asian restaurant uses a curry powder mix, they use individual spices.

There, thats me Madhur Jaffrey bit over!

You learn something everyday - i always thought a curry powder was a mixture of spices.

Don't Google "curry powder mix"

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Radfordred, you should write a food column in the Post ...... I'll check your reviews before I book a table at any Nottingham restaurant in future!

Thats interesting to know as Royce was my half brother and he actually went back to Bangladesh i guess in those days it would have been East Paklstan and  sadly died poor and destitute in about 2002  

For me, the finest Indian restaurant from the late 70s and early 80s was Laguna Tandoori on Mount Street. I visited the place a couple of moths ago, and the menu hadn't changed. It doesn't need to.

Red, of course curry powder is a mixture of spices, but I dont know of any self respecting restaurant who would employ a chef that used a pre mixed powder!

If youve ever nosied in an Asian restaurants kitchen, they have many seperate containers with individual spices in them, and they never mix them into a powder like the stuff bought retail.

Ive eaten in most that were around since the early 70's, and somehow became friends with the owners/waiters etc, and in all honesty never ever saw a mixed curry powder during any visit into the kitchen, even the scabby ones, of which I would say the Curry and Grill was up there with the scabbiest! But, it didnt stop me going back most weeks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Went back in the Balti House (Curry and Grill) earlier this week, and pleased to say I believe the food there is the closest to what it used to be when I first started eating the stuff!

Dark in colour, and sooo tasty!

• 1 month later...

Quite a few @ work had been telling me i had got try the Cottage Balti in Beeston vindaloo for me - rogan Mrs Red - probably the best vindaloo i have had since i used to use the Gulshan many moons ago, well recomended about £35 for two with drinks.

Spices (the old gondola pub) is also very good went 4 times over Christmas & also on my Daughters 22nd birthday , even chucked a birthday cake in , the bloke that runs it as something to do with the Mogal-E-Azam the reviews on the net are very good.

My next one i've been told to give a go is Lime @ Nuthall take your own beer/wine job.

I was at the weekend in a curry house with friends; the waiter who took and brought our order was unbelievably thick.

When taking our drinks order it was if we spoke Martian.

The starters came and went, all of us had popadoms and a pickle tray with an extra pot of Lime pickle on the side.

Why is it that curry houses these days don’t serve Lime pickle as a standard requisite, we had to pay extra for a small dish.

There were four main dishs ordered accompanied by two dishs of boiled rice and a Pashwari nan.

One of those long hot plates was placed in the middle, the type that has tee lights to warm the hot plate.

Ten minutes passed and our waiter for that evenings meal placed three large dish’s on said hot plate, the dish closest to me was teetering on the edge of hot plate, I commented to my friend that one nudge from me would topple it off, I didn’t have to the waiter did it for me, he placed a spoon in dish and my Lamb Vindaloo went all over the table, all dish’s were moved to one side while table cloth was exchanged for clean and my dish was whisked away to be replaced in front of me again in four minutes.

We did get several apologies from the waiter and the punkawalla at the door when leaving but no reduction on final bill.

I have heard the restaurant is struggling for trade and maybe shutting in the close future.

That doesn’t surprise me in the least.

The cottage Balti in Beeston is very nice, it had moved several years ago from across road from Sid Standards, I have been once at the old address and several times at the new address.

I would also recommend the curry house at the top end of broadgate ‘Beeston Tandoori.

Reserved a table for four one evening and had to wait at least an hour before the meal was served, excuse was shortage of staff, the chef hadn’t turned up, the manager was doing all the cooking that night.

I have been back since and had no problems with service.

The Bombay Brasserie is also worth a visit…124 High road Beeston.

The very first time I went in said establishment we ate our Popadoms off saucers.

The company I was in was quite happy to do so but I am a little more concerning what I eat my popadoms off and asked for a side plate, waiter gave me a strange look but I got what I asked for. Only been back once since that experience with plate.

I have never seen any cockroaches in any of the curry houses I visit, I make a point if time allows and management permits to visit the kitchens.

I can’t speak for those I haven’t yet visited, maybe cockroaches are a common site in curry houses south of the M25 but they definitely not north of Leicester forest east services M1.

!englandflag! Perhaps the cockroaches have become...............ingredients............that's why they're not in evidence????????????? !rotfl!

That as maybe tax ray, but there's a couple of Chinese take aways Chilwell end.

Is the Chinese take away on the corner of Chilwell road and Ellis grove still open?

I used that establishment quite often in my younger days while living in a flat up Devonshire Avenue.

I thought I had Craig, Beeston Tandori.

Address below.

150-152 High Road,

Beeston,

NOTTINGHAM,

NG9 2LN

(0115) 922 5628

Sorry Brian, am I missing something here, in your first post you criticize the place, and in your second post, you recommend it........?

Signed: Confused of Nottingham.

• 2 months later...

Went to the newish restaurant in Long Eaton, something Express, next to the railway barter shop, the one Bip mentioned ages ago. Had my usual lamb bhuna, madras hot, extra dhaniya, it was pleasant, hot enough, but lacked taste, and needed salt. Odd too that the pickle tray did not have the onion "salad", and had to be asked for.

Decor reminded me more of a Chinese restaurant more than Indian though.

Service was excellent and speedy, ok, I was the only one in there, but I don't believe I will be returning anytime soon.

Nothing to do with Nott'm Curry houses I know, but, we had one from our local (Under new ownership) the other day . I had a couple of Popadoms and Chutney as a starter , this came with three pots and a bag of onion, one pot had mango chutney , one the mint yoghurt and the third had what I took to be some sort of tomato salsa, big mistake!!!! It tasted fine on first sample, slightly sweet even, but boy did it have a real afterburn attatched to it!! so much so that I didn't touch it again and left it on the table . my youngest comes along with his usual inquisitiveness, "Daddy what's that" I tell him it's a very spicy dressing that's too strong for me and mummy and he wouldn't like it!! but he insisted on giving it a finger dip. In the split second before the burn kicked in he decided it tasted fine and had a gob full..............He won't do it again !!!!!

hungry.gifrotfl.gif

Nobody tell social services!!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...