Curry houses in Nottm

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The Sagar used to be very good but haven’t been for about 15 years. Different management now probably.

It’s the same guy who owns it, him with the ill-fitting wig ;)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Radfordred, you should write a food column in the Post ...... I'll check your reviews before I book a table at any Nottingham restaurant in future!

Thats interesting to know as Royce was my half brother and he actually went back to Bangladesh i guess in those days it would have been East Paklstan and  sadly died poor and destitute in about 2002  

For me, the finest Indian restaurant from the late 70s and early 80s was Laguna Tandoori on Mount Street. I visited the place a couple of moths ago, and the menu hadn't changed. It doesn't need to.

RobL, yes we’ve used Karikana quite often,  can’t fault them, but on this occasion we thought we’d try a Saagar meal. Won’t bother again though. 

Another place I unfailingly visit when I am in Nottingham is the Bombay Sweet Centre on Radford Road. All the veggie stuff is amazing. The namak paray is worth going to the shop just for that alone. The aloo gobi is the finest I have tasted. Pakoras of course, which I eat almost as soon as I get out of the shop. Oddly enough the only thing they dont do that well is naan bread. Curry king just a little further up the road do it well, but get a bit arsy if you just want to buy naans without a curry dish. I usually buy 4 or 5 naans and freeze them from there. They sometimes do an elephant ear naan which is huge! 

• 2 months later...

Not been for over 15 years. It used to be a favourite but we never go in that direction nowadays. I’m a bit wary of eating out and going to pubs. The Saagar was excellent 20 years ago but no longer open at lunchtime I believe. A curry house with no air con yesterday is definitely to be avoided!

7 hours ago, denshaw said:

Went to the Saagar last night, average meal, no air con or enough social distancing. Same owner with the syrup.

We ate in Saagar at the start of the year, before lockdown and enjoyed the meal and were surprised the owner still had that same wig. (He was very attentive and seemed to appreciate that we were giving them a go because we used to go in there regularly many years ago but got rather bored with them.   During lockdown we had a takeaway from there, with friends (social distancing)  in our garden.  It was a dreadful meal, very greasy and extremely expensive for what we got, think it was £75-80 for 4 of us.  A lot of the food went back into the very posh takeaway box they'd delivered it in and then straight in the bin.  I've heard the same disappointments from other people and will not be giving them another chance.  

• 1 year later...