I actually started my dj career by accident, when the guy i had asked to dj at a gig id supplied kit for, wanted a break, he suggested i take over, i did, and the rest as they say, is history, but, in that period, i joined NJD, and they sent me to loads of different venues, before i ended up at Zak and Kurts venue "The Babel"

So, apart from going back to the place i auditioned at "Annabels" on Victoria St, i worked at

Toffs, at The Bridgford Hotel

Oscar Wildes at Holme Pierrepont.

Isabellas Goldsmith St

Zaks Club, Station St

Madison Goldsmith St

Arrabellas/ Scamps Wollaton St

Theres more, but im struggling to remember them at present!

And later, during my Trent years............

Ritzy/ Palais

Royal Hotel

Savoy Hotel

Royal Regency Ilk

Ritzy Derby

Rollerorld Derby.. the club next to it........damned if i can remember its name!

Astoria/ Sherwood rooms

Pink Coconut Derby

Shipley Boat Inn

Club at the bottm of Lower Parliament St.?

Theres more, but at the mo........?

And in later years..........

Brannigans Long Eaton

Love Shack at Rock City, in the 70's room (for 11 continous years!!)

RKO bar

Envy

National Ice Centre ( as well as Ice Rink era, and currently)

Club 25 at Oceana

Royal Regency in Ilk, for the East Midlands biggest soul night

I will fill in gaps as i remember them, obviously in newer postings, but, anyone go to these places?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone know is the ''Bodega'' still going?   have beautiful memories of the place,,, met a girl there in 1963 called Katrina from Carlton one sunday night,,i was with a mate called Keith Attenborough,

Only went in once......just after first divorce.....went by myself determined to pull'''   new 3 piece suit,,,cracking new shirt,,with Tie Pin thru the collar (remember them?).........didn't Pull,,i w

Yes Fly find out mate,, thinking of going again,,,will pull i know it......so if you come with me don't cramp me style...........lol

There was a club at the botom of hockley, just round the corner on the left of Lower Parliament street. You went upstairs, above a car showroom perhaps?

In the early 70's I think it was called the 'Society Club', Later became a jamaican club?

I went in the RKO once. Got the feeling I had been there before.

Then realized I was in what was once Isabellas dancefloor.

Right on both accounts Mick, i still cant remember the name of that one down and round from Hockley though! (when i played there that is). In fact the car showroom was owned at one time by a guy i knew, i even bought a car from him, what a mistake!

So, apart from going back to the place i auditioned at "Annabels" on Victoria St, i worked at

Theres more, but im struggling to remember them at present!

And later, during my Trent years............

Astoria/ Sherwood rooms

Club at the bottm of Lower Parliament St.?

Theres more, but at the mo........?

The club was once called "Toppers". I've been known to visit once or twice :ph34r:

When you did the Astoria - on the first Monday of the month did you have to play a different type of music to suit the "different" type of customer smile2boombox2

Frank, i wasnt resident at The Astoria, just did the "Trent celebrity appearance" thing, i reckon it was to do with business as Barry Noble was a big spending client .

I also did the music for a few fashion shows there, as well as working alongside the guy who now owns the lap dancing club above Isis, James Ekterfari, (spelt properly??) when i introduced Technotronic.....Which reminds me........add Black Orchid/ Isis to that list

Ive done a post about curry houses, but forgot to mention that in 1978 i dj'd at the Noor Jahan, being possibly the only such venue to have a disco, saying on the mic "welcome to the East Midlands first Indian disco dine"

I used to set up during Saturday afternoon, very often with me mum helping! and go back at the night time, being paid in cash at first, but then, when i started to take my girlfriend, and her sis and husband (as roadies of course!) i negotiated a deal in which we had 4 meals, and a quantity of beer instead.

If youve been into the Noor Jahan of late, it is as it started life, occupying just the one part of the building, and not as before, when it occupied what is now Victoria Kebabs. Sadly too, it has lost its "posh (ish) restaurant "aurra

Hi Craig

Do you or have you DJ'd at what I call "normal " pubs? I ask because my son is a musician & gigs regularly in Nottm as well as everywhere else in between!

Hi Craig

Do you or have you DJ'd at what I call "normal " pubs? I ask because my son is a musician & gigs regularly in Nottm as well as everywhere else in between!

Hmmm..............Blue Boar at Hucknall in the early 80's. and obviously many during my stint at NJD, and early days of doing Radio Trents "Electric Gramaphone" names elude me though..............Festival Inn at Trowell, numerous ones in Mansfield as part of a co promotion between Trent and Mansfield brewery, one in the cattle market, again, a bunch of em in Derby as a promo thing that Ansells did, in Ilk as well, The Poplar, and a couple of others, The one at the top of the Wells rd........... The Porchester!...............theyre coming back now........TBI........... The South bank bar? called something else now, its on Trent Bridge, also the one thats now Casa... when i remember more, ill let you know.

Now youre pressing the memory button!! Jonny Moore (who i had as a guest on my Sunday night show "Strong on Sunday") introduced me to the managers of the place one night when he bought them into the studio, and later from that i started doing a regular night there....................cant remember which one though!"!! God, my memory is sh*t!................I think it was a monday, cos shortly after finishing there, i did the Porchester, where i remember turning up for the gig , to be greeted by the old bill. It turned out the manager had been redirecting cash from the till, into his own pocket, and was even claiming i was being paid far more than he actually did! Something along the lines of telling the big bosses he had to pay me far more than he did, as a local radio celeb, but agreeing a fee with me which was a deal lower!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go to Isabellas, Annabels, Camelot, Madison.. can remember Tiffany's, Scamps.. and one place where I always used to hang out was Uriah Heeps, a wine bar next to the cross keys. And then there was the Asylum, and the Final Solution.

Was it called Uriah Heaps when they had a sign...

"No Service this end of the bar, unless famous"?

I used to frequent there for me glass of Neirstein, or Martini & Lemonade.

Or was it called summat else before that?

I only knew it as Uriah's, we always used to sit downstairs. At closing time they always used to play Frank Sinatra's "new york, new york" and everyone would stand on the tables and sing along.

• 9 months later...

Hmm, so when were you at Scamps - I was there from the start till about 75, with a short break while a guy called the 'night owl' did the business.

There was also a club called the eight till late - first left off Friars gate and also down a twitchell off wheeler gate. Going up Upper Parliament Street there was also the Pigale - on the left. well dodgy!

Cheers,

Charles

Ok - here's a question. For a while there was a night-club that was part of the Victoria Centre - big flash place that never really caught on, but I do remember Chairman of the Board playing there ands then coming up to Scamps afterwards - at about 1:30 ands we never got out of the place till about 3! Then it was all down to the curry house that i can't remember for a massive vindaloo!

Cheers,

Charlie

It was around 1971 that INTERCON opened.

I attended for an interview when they were looking for DJ's.

Unfortunately I went on the night they were advertising for Bar Staff!

There is a recent picture of it posted here somewhere?

It was around 1971 that INTERCON opened.

I attended for an interview when they were looking for DJ's.

Unfortunately I went on the night they were advertising for Bar Staff!

There is a recent picture of it posted here somewhere?

I think '72 after I started at the Penny - but maybe a little sooner. I seem to remember it was a slow death for Djs there - so you were probably lucky! Did you know keith and/or pat? Or maybe Alec who also worked the Hippo - but he was strictly Soul - great guy, nearly killed me in a crash coming back from some club he's been working in Long Eaton.............or maybe Al from the Ad Lib?

Ok - here's a question. For a while there was a night-club that was part of the Victoria Centre - big flash place that never really caught on, but I do remember Chairman of the Board playing there ands then coming up to Scamps afterwards - at about 1:30 ands we never got out of the place till about 3! Then it was all down to the curry house that i can't remember for a massive vindaloo!

Cheers,

Charlie

Tiffanys later changed it's name to Spec Savers , Couldn't see why though ................................LOL

We used to go to the Musters Hotel in the early 70's as well. Saw Jim Davison in Dec '70 just as he was starting out.

Chicken & Chips in a basket !hungr!

Then it changed into a good music pub in the 80's