• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone know is the ''Bodega'' still going?   have beautiful memories of the place,,, met a girl there in 1963 called Katrina from Carlton one sunday night,,i was with a mate called Keith Attenborough,

Only went in once......just after first divorce.....went by myself determined to pull'''   new 3 piece suit,,,cracking new shirt,,with Tie Pin thru the collar (remember them?).........didn't Pull,,i w

Yes Fly find out mate,, thinking of going again,,,will pull i know it......so if you come with me don't cramp me style...........lol

• 1 year later...

Craig,     70s music  will go on,

can you identify a disco type venue for me?

remember walking quite a bit from it ,  past The Arboreturm and up near forest ground.

Can you give an idea of any discos that were in the area?

Maybe they are demolished nowl.......

black guy was friend then, it closed around 11pm

T

• 3 months later...

Greetings to all the old '70's clubbers out there. Just joined this forum having returned to good old Snottingham after 35 years in LA. After reading many of the posts (dated 9 years ago), would love to say Hi to my old mate Charlie, who has posted in this forum. I was nicknamed Spook in my clubbing days and would have some of my best nights at the Penny Farthing, having graduated from the Intercon. Remember he played Steely Dan's 'My Old School' incessantly....difficult to dance to but great music all the same.

Would like to add to list of clubs that I didn't see mentioned...

St James' Club

Food for Thought

Club Arriba

and a great club in Derby...The Blue Note.....Last hang out of mine before I jumped the pond.

Great memories, thanks for the Forum.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Ex Pat.

I suppose I just about qualify as a 70s DJ, though I did more in the 60s  I was though in the process of moving away from Nottm. by then and many of the places mentioned mean little or nothing to me.  I certainly DJ'd at the 360 Club Bulwell and the Carlton Hotel.  Also a short residency at the old Robinson's Hill Club in Boowull. (Now the 'Lion Revived' I think.)  The rest of it was on what I used to call the 'Weddings and Funeral's Circuit', covering parties and gatheriings of all sorts. Some college in Mansfield, Mansfield Palais, Commodore and other places which various folk rented for works functions, weddings, birthdays etc.  All good fun.

Col

• 1 year later...

just read post and i don;t think anyone has said mentioned The Hippo night club, also The Dungeon, and the Chateau , Rock City (The Heart of the Midlands)

• 2 weeks later...

Only went a couple of times to see the local railway memorabilia. Pretty impressive at the time.

Only went in once......just after first divorce.....went by myself determined to pull'''   new 3 piece suit,,,cracking new shirt,,with Tie Pin thru the collar (remember them?).........didn't Pull,,i was out of practice,,after a couple attempts of ''Chat-ups'' gave up..........went up to the Nelson top of Hockley,,,was feeling a bit 'Peed off''   the place was 'dead' nobody even fighting.........ended up in my all time favourite Pub  ''Bodega''  can't recall coming out    :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Anyone know is the ''Bodega'' still going?   have beautiful memories of the place,,, met a girl there in 1963 called Katrina from Carlton one sunday night,,i was with a mate called Keith Attenborough,,i say a mate,,he was more he really was a friend from school days,,,he danced with Katrina's friend and me with Katrina,, back then there was low lighting a small dance floor and a Juke box,,,2 bob in the juke box.......Dance Duck ? oh yes,some magic slow 'bum clinch'' songs,, got engaged to Trina beautiful girl,,but i cheated and she dumped me,,my mate/friend Keith sadly passed in his 40s,,never had a friend like him since,,,if you've seen Columbo' you've seen my mate Keith......

Its ok folks i'm in a 'waxing lyrical'' mood tonight,,,had a nice day....................

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Used to go in the Bodega at the weekend and then onto the AdLib used to have a good time at both places. If I remember correctly there used to be a elderly chap there that used to hand out tickets or something in the nearby pubs to the females!.

• Like 1

Bodega is still going, pretty amazing really after all these years. I used to go there in the 60s, never bumped into you though Ben.  Radford Red still frequents the place I’m sure, they still have live music on there.  

• Like 1

Ben, I walked past the other week, and it's still a drinking establishment of sorts, but I didn't recall what it was called. I'll take a look next time I'm in town.

• Like 1

Yes Fly find out mate,, thinking of going again,,,will pull i know it......so if you come with me don't cramp me style...........lol

• Like 2

As if Ben ! 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

. I used to go there in the 60s, never bumped into you though Ben.   

Bet you did Lizzie.............you just kept telling me to go away.......i was always a trier.......even tiring..............lol

• Upvote 1

My friends and I always went to the Bodega, upstairs where the music was. Can remember Barry on the door, big bloke. Was once stopped at door as I was told I was under age, I was 22 at time, asked for Barry and he let me in. Many happy memories of it, especially my 21st, or what I can remember of it. Great times and people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Did we have a slow Dance SG  ?:rolleyes:

Bet we did especially with your silver tongue. Always fell for a good chat up linehearteyes

• Like 1