Anything Political

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

For Brew and anyone else moved to take to the streets in defence of Parliament..

Here's a link to information about Anti Proroguation Protests all over the country and even in Amsterdam.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=126xVlyiCy5vkZhJFDVNJyMQFFuCuliV5&hl=en_US&ll=53.014163985843595%2C-4.137744119476565&z=6

Brian Clough Statue seems to be the venue for repeat protests in Nottm.

Well done and thank you for that. It will be 12 ish before I get there but get there I will. I haven't protested against  anything since my student days in the 60's and the civil rights movement. I just hope it doesn't become  anti - everything the way it did back then...

Brew, as I read t the protests in Nottm are repeat events.

name
Nottingham Brian Clough Statue
description
Every Thursday until 31st October - 4-6pm - No Deal Survivors Club, Nottingham, Brian Clough Statue
Details from Google Maps
Nottingham NG1 2AS

For those who still don't understand.  Parliament is not 'blocking Brexit'.  Parliament voted for the referendum and for Article 50 to be invoked.

However,, Parliament is also trying to ensure that we leave with a suitable deal.

Those who were paying attention to Boris, Farage, the ERG and the whole Red Bus Crew.. may recall that we were supposed to get £350 million per week for the NHS, the 'easiest' Trade Deals in history, and loads of Unicorns.

Not one of those things has, or will come true.

Only yesterday that 19th Century time traveller Rees-Mogg was wittering about 'The benefits of leaving'.  He didn't say what they were though, so I asked on Facebook and not one of the millions of facbook members has given me one single benefit.

Neither has anyone here.

21 minutes ago, DavidA said:

Interesting to see the political establishment calling on the far left rent-a-mob.

????

I have no intention of attending a protest if it's against Brexit. I did say earlier I hope it remains focussed. My protest will be purely to support those who think an unelected Johnson and his cronies are usurping Parliament. Brexit  should be decided by Parliament - that can't happen if Johnson shuts down Westminster.

For the hard of understanding it means I don't want to see this country turned into a dictatorship - Brexit or no Brexit.

I can think of one benefit, at least it will see leavers quit their sneering.

• Like 1

Well now you mention it.. another benefit is that Leavers will finally find out that they have been conned.  but they still won't admit it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

but they still won't admit it

Of course not. It will not be the fault of Brexit, they will always find something else to blame - they always do.

• Like 1

I have once again been reading the posts on this subject. Firstly may I say I have never, knowingly, sneered at anyone for their views. On the subject of being conned, the original referendum could also be classed as a con, we were assured the common market, as it was then known, would always just be a trading block and would never progress into anything else and we know how that panned out.

I don’t apologise for voting the way I did and don’t expect anyone else to, we each have our own reasons and views. As to the benefits of leaving no-one can know precisely what will happen one way or the other, also what will happen if we don’t leave. I have no doubt if the sky falls in there will be plenty to say “I told you so”. 

Nobody knows for certain what will happen in the future, definitely not the shower in Westminster (none of the parties come out of this with glowing colours) who have made such a pigs ear of the whole situation from beginning to end. 

I have last last week lost someone who had become a close friend since I came back to Nottingham, a beautiful lady, and to be honest against this Brexit pales into insignificance. So I couldn’t really care less whether we leave (although I obviously would prefer that) or stay, just wish someone would make their flipping minds up one way or the other than we can all get back to the important things in life.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

On the subject of being conned, the original referendum could also be classed as a con, we were assured the common market, as it was then known, would always just be a trading block and would never progress into anything else and we know how that panned out.

I and many others absolutely agree with you SG. Had it not started to move towards federalisation and remained , as you say, purely a trading block there is a strong possibility we would not be having this discussion.

All of us I'm sure are sick and tired of the shambles but one man seizing power to get his way sets a dangerous precedent for future decisions. Once completed doing the same again  gets easier and easier until people hardly notice they do not have a say, the will of the electorate count for nothing  and there is no one to deny or stop those in power doing anything they like. 

It all sounds very melodramatic but it's a slippery slope we ignore at our peril.

This applies not just to the Tories, I'm vehemently opposed to any who circumvent due process.

• Like 4

I think I owe a response here.  However, it is after midnight and I'm away early in the morning and won't be back until Sunday night.  I'll respond then.

My memories terrible, but I recall the question at the referendum box being 'Do you want to be in the EU?'

Yes or No...

Didn't Cameron also state we would be leaving, given a Brexit result..The DAY after... wishful thinking but Naive there me thinks!

The manipulation of the facts and the moving of the goal posts, by Parliament and the media would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic!

Could this mean the end of two party politics?

I hope so ..but get ready for the flashed General Election..more opportunity for them to show their fake allegiance!

I read this morning that a government 'special advisor' has been summarily dismissed by Johnson with no proof whatever of any wrongdoing. The dismissal came after a meeting with Dominic Cummings - he already referred to in this thread thus:

"Would you at least agree that we've basically just seen what amounts to a right wing 'coup'?  Unelected Prime Minister supported by unelected crooks and chancers like  Dominic Cummings, taking out the opposition of Parliament.. which is the true authority and seat of Democracy in the country, by making up some tripe about a Queen's Speech.  FIVE WEEKS?  Spontaneous demos in numerous cities already.. I'd say serious civil unrest in weeks and much more if the crooks get their 'no deal'. 

Scary times."

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

This is England. We might moan a bit but we don’t do civil unrest.

For those of us who are complacent maybe, for  those who will tut tut and look the other way and think "nowt ter do wi me - I'm alright Jack",  maybe. 

Then again it rather depends on your definition of civil unrest. There has  been at least ten full blown riots since the early 80's and many more instances of unrest - at least as I define it.

Can you not remember:

Bradford

Handsworth

Luton

Bristol 

Brixton 

and probably the most famous the, Battle of Orgreave?

There are many more, one just yesterday!

You may say they were local riots, although the miners confrontations with the police covered three counties,  many were but that's due to the cause being  local. We are now talking about an issue that has affected the whole country.

To say we are British, have stiff upper lips and all that and we don't do as Johnny Foreigner does is wrong - it's a myth.  The truth is we do, have done for centuries and will do so again if pushed hard enough. I am NOT advocating violence and hope the protests remain peaceful but these things so easily get out of hand.

I predict you may well be right and most will moan and groan and sit on their backside and do nothing, not even pick up the phone and give their MP an earful.

I've quoted this before:' Every country gets the government they deserve'. What we did to deserve this shower is beyond me...

• Like 2

The referendum never mentioned a deal. It was either in or out. The whole thing was badly set up by Cameron but that’s another story. A ‘deal’ would surely mean we have to continue with some contributions. We can’t have our cake and eat it. Boris is honouring the result of the referendum for better or for worse. All those that voted leave should have given their vote more thought at the time. All they considered was keeping out the foreigners (especially the Eastern European criminal element) and getting rid of ‘silly rulings’ from Brussels. Our entanglement with Europe was deeper than that and although I personally never wanted to be in a Federal Europe we were too deeply enmeshed to make clean break. It’s only the remainers and those who regretted their vote who want a deal. I voted remain but I have to accept the democratic decision.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

NO, it was NOT about keeping out EU foreigners. We want the oppressive shackles of the Franco Germanic alliance removed.

I too voted remain, purely because I foresaw the complexities , but now, I just want OUT ASAP.

I had the impression that a lot of people didn't like the influx of 'foreigners' making extra demands on our schools, health service and housing. I didn't see a lot of people from the UK extolling the virtues of moving over to Poland or Romania. The fact is that we have more to offer them than they've got to offer us. Also we don't have an identity card system so the criminal element can just disappear into the shadows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The Brexit argument is, for me at any rate, over. It is what it is and we must play the cards we have.

Yes there was  talk about immigration, a lot of it rumour and conjecture. The facts show there are far fewer than people think but they tend to congregate, as do many ex pats, and that makes them more visible.

The 'silly rulings' are not going to go away and we can't ignore them either. 55% of our exports are to the EU and if we want any part of it to continue we will still have meet their standards plus now we will have to play by their  'silly rules' and pay tariffs for the privilege of doing so.

As for the Franco Germanic alliance I rather think we will be more at their mercy than ever before but that's a different debate.

My protest now is the sidestepping of parliament and the democratic process. Johnson and his little coterie have outrageously denied parliamentary procedure.  No sane person can possibly believe his pathetic excuse for closing down the government. To deny it's a ploy to prevent any discussion of Brexit is showing how he holds the public in contempt and taking us all for fools.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

But not as we know it Jim!

nfc.jpg

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political