Anything Political

7 hours ago, Brew said:

I agree she comes across as right wing but her recent interview with Cummings has me leaning more towards her having a strong self-centred bias than a political one.

OK, I surrender on the news.  But, the Cummings interview was fascinating in many ways.

The most sinister aspect of Cummings whole demeanour and self confessed motivations, was his seeming conviction and  unabashed certainty that he not only knows what's best for us, but is entitled to subvert democracy to deliver it. 

He spoke openly of 'us', and when pressed on that by LK, admitted to a network of, effectively 'co-conspirators', determined to destroy the UK party system and the Civil Service 'establishment'.

So, what I take from that is the unsurprising conclusion that Cummings v Johnson is a case of the Pot calling the Kettle Black.

I struggled with LKs approach at first, until it sunk in that she is seriously pissed off at Cummings for not only having taken her in.. but also now trying to bring down a Govt. which she helped into power, by far more than just the one dishonest edit of a Corbyn interview.  Also interesting that she did not question Cummings on anything concerning corruption.. dodgy contracts, etc.

As for Cummings' views on UK Govt.  In many ways it is difficult to disagree that our system needs reform.. encourages the promotion of the worst candidates etc.., but the solution is never to allow one man, or any unelected group, to manipulate 'the system' in ways Cummings seeks.

I had thought that Cummings had suspended his Blog once 'in Govt', but it is certainly up and running here.  https://dominiccummings.com/

It makes interesting reading.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

Yebbut..we only think that because we are morons who understand neither his ideas nor his methods. :rolleyes:

Ah forgive me... I should have realised a dumb Cliftonite like wot I is would get it wrong... sometimes I wonder how I manage to dress myself

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Of course the withdrawal was initiated by the idiot Trump.  Biden went along with it and once he did, the UK had no choice but to follow suit.  The issue is not so much the withdrawal..but the 'cack handed' way in which it has been handled.

I have settled on seeing the Taliban issue as a sort of sectarian issue within the Islamic world.  The Taliban's mediaeval attitudes are not shared by all muslims..any more than were those of ISIS, and it remains to be seen how it will all pan out.

Th Saudi Government is currently urging the Taliban' to 'preserve lives', but conveniently forgets that it was a major funder and religious influence on the Taliban at it's formation.

The collapse of the Afghan Army and Police Force is hardly surprising since the Afghan Govt. and all but useless 'President' were all so mired in corruption that the Army went unpaid and unfed.

Apart from seeing whether the Taliban have moderated their mediaeval approach to 'law'.and especially to women...which I doubt.. the other major issue for me is what the Taliban return does to the political situation in the region. 

Pakistan , being a pretty extreme Islamic state appears mostly unruffled. All of the former soviet 'stans' to the North have majority Muslim populations, but are not necessarily Muslim states. Tajikistan has no 'official' religion... and nor do Kyrgyztan,Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan.though none of them is exactly a true democracy either and all seem to be repressive and very much influenced on religion by Saudi Arabia Kuwait and Turkey.  Those states are all known for high levels of corruption, something the Taliban claims to abhor.  It might be interestiing to see what transpires once they are properly established in Afghan.

I imagine the Chinese will exploit their short border with Afghanistan, since I understand there are many mineral resources in Afghan.  But the Chinese will clearly not take any s*** from the Taliban, as they have already clearly demonstrated with their own minority Muslim population.

Iran? I imagine they will get a lot of refugees, but I have no idea how they view the Taliban.

Finally.. despite Biden, Trump and general sentiment in the US.. America seems to need to be constantly at war somewhere or other.. both the provide a political 'enemy' as a diversion from home issues, but also to keep the American 'Military Industrial Complex' running smoothly.. and profitably...  So I'm wondering where next?

On 8/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, radfordred said:

How it going then Joe? :rolleyes: 

Well yes.. Not Biden's best informed or wisest speech ever.. but compared to Trump he's a genius.

They don't.

• 1 month later...

So....  Brexit Eh?  :laugh:  What a laugh....  or it would be if it was funny..

Personally, I'm still waiting for:

"The easiest Trade Deals in history".. as exemplified by Joe Biden telling our own idiot Johnson to 'do one'..last week.

"The Brexit Dividend".  That would be..err what.. exactly....?

" Taking back control".  We are presently begging HGV drivers to give up their jobs in the EU to come here for 3 months. That will work...

This is not about left/right, or Tory/Labour.  It is about competence..and our present Govt. are the most incompetent bunch of crooks ever to 'grace' the halls of Parliament.  Thieves , crooks, tax dodgers, grifters, grafters and liars.  But definitely not competent leaders of a once proud nation which they have brought to its knees by their own actions.

Enough to make you weep.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

It is about competence..and our present Govt. are the most incompetent bunch of crooks ever to 'grace' the halls of Parliament.  Thieves , crooks, tax dodgers, grifters, grafters and liars.  But definitely not competent leaders of a once proud nation which they have brought to its knees by their own actions.

I would seriously like to dispute you accusations DJ360.

Our Federal Governments is way more incompetent than yours. Apart from all the items you listed we can add the covid vaccine purchase and roll out, the withdrawal from Afghanistan, leaving so many behind who assisted the allies and last but not least the submarine fiasco. By the way we have a conservative Federal Government. Thank goodness for the actions of the state governments, despite current problems in Victoria and NSW, have largely controlled and effectively managed the covid outbreak in Australia. I hope the people of Australia remember this at the upcoming Federal election, however, I doubt this as the liars will concoct some other falsehoods to scare off the sheep from voting for the other side of the political equation and restore some equality and humanity which is sadly lacking at the moment

Well.... when you put it that way.....  :wacko:

1 hour ago, catfan said:

I read today that ex Labour pm Tony Blair & his wife escaped paying stamp duty on a £6.5m London town house. 

It's ok for some it seems.

They will be liable for hefty corporation tax when it is time to sell. This is small fry compared to the Tory donor who has pocketed at least £M30 using offshore tactics. Yes - it's alright for some!

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

I think that will be ‘capital gains tax’ if they should sell.

Yes - I meant CGT kickmeAt least the public purse should not suffer.

Be interesting to see what Panorama has to report on the subject. All this 'legal' tax dodging by the wealthy has to be addressed if we are to take 'levelling up' seriously.

• Like 1

A political correctness matter!!

I was working on the hydraulic brakes on a late 20s Sunbeam that had been returned to the UK from Africa.

I had to replace the master and slave cylinders. It occurred to me that these days my description of work completed might not be well received by the owner. Any suggestions for a politically correct description of these parts?

These tax avoidance schemes don't normally bother me, if they are legal and people don't like it... change the law.

Most of those mentioned will cheerfully admit and even boast of the clever ways they come up with to avoid tax. Vestey (Dewhurst  Butchers) did the same years ago (they paid £10) so it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

It does rather grate though when those who have pontificated against the practice turn hypocrite and take full advantage of the loophole. As for the pile of garbage they came out with by way of explanation, let's just say that I'm putting them in the same box as Cummings.

The King of Jordan has built a portfolio of London properties.... and?

We have billionaires who buy entire islands in the Caribbean, mansions in New York, California and Dubai and no one turns a hair.

---------------------------

The present set of tosspots claiming they will  'level up' must think we came in on the last boat.

Leveling up is just another trite phrase that in reality will never happen. They may spend  money on a few prestige projects but make a real difference?....  nah, not a chance.

• Like 4

I will return to the subject of 'Tax Dodging' later..as It's late and I'm about to hit the sack..

But.. I just wanted to mention Rishi Sunak's speech to the Tory Conference yesterday..

I could sum it up as 'Jam Tomorrow', which is the Tories' stock answer to everything.. there's always an excuse for why the plebs have to keep paying increased taxes and receiving the poorest pensions and benefits in Europe... but the rich must not be hampered because they are the wealth creators so.. if we are all just patient for a bit longer...

Their other favourite lines are:  'We have plans.. We are reviewing the situation.. and the biggest lie of all We are investing massively'.  All drivel.  They invested more in making Dido Harding even richer, than they have in training our workforce. Many may swallow this guff.  I don't.

In a little more detail, that clown.. who has completely transformed the traditional Tory view of borrowing by pushing the National Debt up to 100% of GDP, (I believe it was 80%+ BEFORE the pandemic) is now saying that further borrowing would be not only 'unwise', and 'un - Conservative'.. but 'immoral'.  You couldn't make this crap up.  They have consistently accused Labour of being a 'Tax and Spend' party, despite the clear evidence to the contrary. Yet they threw money about to their mates during the early pandemic, but refused to fund the NHS and its staff properly. They are now telling us that WE have to pay back all the cash that THEY chose to borrow to make their friends rich. And the country is still full of Muppets who buy this tripe!!

Give me strength..

• Like 2

I dread to think the Labour alternative.

Unchecked mass immigration, borrowing & more borrowing..

Pensions & benefits were still the lowest in Europe under Labour too.

I dread to think what a Labour govt would do.

I'll put my money on  a Tory govt anytime.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political