Anything Political

1 hour ago, Waddo said:

A referendum is the 'people's ' chance to speak. I don't think that any party would have given all the facts. But i don't agree about having another referendum, what happens if it doesn't go 'they're way '?. Do we have another one. But also what happens if it goes the other way? Do we then have a best of three?. It's took too long now, and only because they were naive enough to think that we all would vote to stay.

An awful lot of misunderstanding there Waddo.

1.  The referendum, because it was so badly implemented and subject to such dishonest campaigning, created a situation which set Parliament..against a minority Govt. A minority Govt created by Theresa May, and made even more of a minority by the bullying dictatorial actions of Boris Johnson.against his own party.

2.The referendum also created uncertainty because there was no clear definition of what 'Brexit' meant and I'm sure a majority of Brexit voters still believe that we can just 'walk away'.  We can't.

3. Parliament is the body which scrutinises Govt. to prevent dictatorship and other undesirable actions. Boris..wanted to overrule Parliament with his MINORITY Government.  Parliament was not blocking Brexit, but rejecting Boris' version of Brexit.  It is entirely right that Parliament has the power to overrule a minority Govt and for Boris to try to do so by breaking the law and lying to the Queen was the unforgivable action of a wannabe Dictator.

I have already pointed out the dangerous plans Boris and his party have hidden in their Manifesto.. which.. if they get them implemented, would in future allow him to overrule or suspend Parliament whenever he liked.  That would amount to a Coup D'etat and must not be allowed to happen.

Once upon a time, (no its not a fairy story) we were called Great Britain, now, folks just refer to it as Britain!. The song used to be "Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves. I see it now as " Rule Britannia, Britannia rule sod all.

This is just wrong.  People use various terms.  We've been here before.

'Great Britain' is not a reference to political standing or economic power.  It is a Geographical term to indicate the main island of the British Isles.  The island which comprises Endland, Scotland and Wales.

Great Britain and Northern Ireland is both geographical and political, but is used mainly to describe the political entity of 'the union', which comprises great Britain plus Northern Ireland.

The 'British Isles' includes Great Britain, all of the associated islands and the whole of Ireland.

Also worth noting, as I've also pointed out before.. that the period when Britain was at its most powerful.. at the height of Empire and up to at least WW2  was also the period when most people here had no real healthcare, when diseases like Cholera, Typhoid, TB etc were rife, and when diseases like Meassles and Flu often proved fatal. Infant mortality was shockingly high.  Poverty, homelessness, squalid and overcrowded 'housing' was the norm.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

In my experience, those who truly wish to serve their fellow man do so in anonymity, without public fanfare or self-serving gratification. They are few and very rarely fall under the heading of politicians.

There are too many who seek public accolades and insist that people must know about their good deeds. Sad but, unfortunately, too common. Those who truly seek the common good and betterment of mankind are known only to themselves.

• Like 2

Surely it isn't a binary thing?

I'm sure many, maybe all of us 'do our bit'.. much of the time quietly and anonymously.  But I'm sure that it is equally important that we take a public stance and 'call out' injustice when we see it.

• Like 1

Appears I have won a small fortune on this outcome. 

Corbyn gone before the new year, at 5-2 in August.

.main spread bets, Tory majority at  60 -80, if it's 68 I have won the lottery ..almost.. 

Mixed emotions..I have never voted Conservative..

The north east results are something I never thought I would see, it is putting to rest the saying 'put a red rosette on a pig and it would win'.  I have not been a labour voter for many years.

I am deeply disappointed that many people clearly couldn't see past Corbyn's ( human.. not Demonic) failings. to the far bigger failings of lying racist, misogynist crook Johnson.

However.. I was encouraged to see at least one new Tory MP voted into a Northern constituency.. realising that he now has to live up to the expectations he has created..  They'll eat the southern jessie alive...

I will take it on the chin and carry on.  I may even stand for local council again.  I can't sit by and let Johnson the Liar and his 40 Thieves carry on destroying everything I believe in.

10 minutes ago, HSR said:

Appears I have won a small fortune on this outcome. 

Corbyn gone before the new year, at 5-2 in August.

.main spread bets, Tory majority at  60 -80, if it's 68 I have won the lottery ..almost.. 

Mixed emotions..I have never voted Conservative..

I think politics is rather more important than a bet.

It may be too early but yes, the Tories look like they have the majority they wanted.

Corbyn led Labour with silly, outrageous promises that many simply did not believe and did so 'on the fly', ignoring the manifesto and dreamed up numbers as the thought occurred to him.

His indecision over Brexit, mind bending borrowing figures and his 'credible' plan in three months revealed a man befuddled and seemingly unable to grasp reality.

Leadership has lost Labour the best chance in a long time of gaining power.

Col says Corbyn is too honest but it’s more than that. *Leaders need to be strong, decisive, have an ego the size of a small country and the low down cunning of Machiavelli.

*Corbyn had none of these, he’s naïve and easily influenced by idealistic factions among his advisors to the point no one took him seriously. He seemed to lose focus at times.

Lansman the power behind the throne has indicated he has to go.

*The blessed Boris has them in spades  andin the spirit of disclosure, no I didn’t vote for him.

3 hours ago, alan s said:

Labour’s finished for the foreseeable future RR

How do you feel about that?

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

It may be too early but yes, the Tories look like they have the majority they wanted.

Corbyn led Labour with silly, outrageous promises that many simply did not believe and did so 'on the fly', ignoring the manifesto and dreamed up numbers as the thought occurred to him.

I don't see it that way.  Corbyn's main failure was that he expected ordinary people.. who want it spelled out in bite sized chunks... to buy into his much more honest. but much more brain hurting views.  I've said before that Corbyn is far too honest for his, and his party's good.

However.. I'm deeply saddened that much of the UK electorate cannot see past this. and just want someone to tell them the right sort of lies.

16 minutes ago, Brew said:

His indecision over Brexit, mind bending borrowing figures and his 'credible' plan in three months revealed a man befuddled and seemingly unable to grasp reality.

Leadership has lost Labour the best chance in a long time of gaining power.

No indecision.  He clearly knew that his party contained both Brexiters and Remainers.. In his excruciating fairness, he offered himself as referee.  Sadly.. as usual.. the UK public preferred to be told what to believe by the press.

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

Col says Corbyn is too honest but it’s more than that. Leaders need to be strong, decisive, have an ego the size of a small country and the low down cunning of Machiavelli.

Corbyn had none of these, he’s naïve and easily influenced by idealistic factions among his advisors to the point no one took him seriously. He seemed to lose focus at times.

There's something in that but I'd still take his naive honesty over Johnson's  lying and cowardly, fridge hiding antics.  D people not grasp that 'Demonic Cummings', who is 'running' Corbyn..stays out of the limelight for a reason?

23 minutes ago, Brew said:

The blessed Boris has them in spades (in the spirit of disclosure, no I didn’t vote for him.)

Boris .. like Thatcher.. and Blair.. will get 'sussed'. The only question is how much damage he will do first.

25 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I think politics is rather more important than a bet.

The bets I placed and who I voted for were different.

How does a bet affect who you vote for?

Interpretating cold hard facts is is a ...fact..

5 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

D people not grasp that 'Demonic Cummings', who is 'running' Corbyn..stays out of the limelight for a reason?

??? Have I missed something

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

??? Have I missed something

My turn for an 'Ooops'  I claim being tired and emotional after a horrible drive home. Of course I meant.. 'who is 'running' Johnson.....'

12 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Corbyn's main failure was that he expected ordinary people.. who want it spelled out in bite sized chunks.

I'm not so disparaging about ordinary peoples ability to understand what Labour was all about. 

Labour themselves say the manifesto was their most radical for fifty years They are on TV right now still saying it and trying desperately to avoid saying Brexit is the single important factor in theses results.

Nottinghamshire Summary (all figures are rounded)

Voters Enrolled 725,000

Votes Cast 545,000

Highest turnout Rushcliffe 78.5%

Lowest turnout Nottingham North 53.1%

Conservatives hold 8 of the 11 seats, Rushcliffe, Gedling, Ashfield, Bassetlaw, Broxtowe, Mansfield, Newark and Sherwood

Labour hold 3 of the 11 seats, Nottingham North, Nottingham South and Nottingham East

Conservatives gained 5 seats Rushcliffe, Gedling, Ashfield, Bassetlaw and Broxtowe

Labour gained 1 seat Nottingham East

Highest Majority Nottingham East 43.5%

Lowest Majority Gedling 1.4%

On a two party basis the conservatives polled 258,784 votes and labour 203,981 votes a difference of 54800 or around 10% of votes cast

Obviously one wonders what would have happened if more had turned out to vote. Interestingly the seats won by Labour had the lowest three turnouts of all the electorates?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political