Anything Political

Now we are out of the EU will duty free goods come back?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

Yes Mary, now you'll have to show your passport at Hadrians wall when going North, and now no chance of getting in Wales.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Now we are out of the EU will duty free goods come back?

We were only talking about it yesterday. I'm not interested in what Brexit did or does but what about those that travel to Calais to stock up.If there are restrictions will they go teetotal.:Shock:

On the question of you no longer belonging to the EU, personally I feel sad that the connection will be lost. I feel I've lost a bit of where I lived for so long. It's really " bu**ered up our travel  documents. I gave up my passport many years ago as Italy has ID's which are more useful and convenient than PP's and I have no intention of renewing it so that I can only travel to the U.K.

Lets see in 11 months time if you've done the right thing or not. Or maybe it will take longer. Have you all really got faith in Boris? Hearing about him it doesn't seem so. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Yes Mary, now you'll have to show your passport at Hadrians wall when going North, and now no chance of getting in Wales.

Makes you wonder in a few years where will Scotland and Wales be. Maybe passports will be needed there too. Oh U.K. What have you done.

• Like 2

What happened to the old maxim, everyone and everything deserves a chance?

Starting out with negative expectations isn't going to help anyone except those whose only desire is to see it fail and there's no shortage of those!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Makes you wonder in a few years where will Scotland and Wales be. Maybe passports will be needed there too. Oh U.K. What have you done.

I still have to show my passport when crossing the Thames!;)

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Anyone ran out of food or medicine yet? :biggrin:

Anyone seen £350M a week  suddenly appear, any new laws made that the big bad EU forbade, any massive migration back to where they came from? Silly questions... 

I'm a pragmatists and cat calling and 'I towd yer so'  will achieve nothing. To that end I'm willing to go along with things as they develop although I reserve the right to call Johnson a buffoon.

There is a push by Sturgeon that will slowly gather strength for Scottish independence and Boris has agreed a mish mash agreement after the nationalists did very well in the Northern Ireland elections. I think nonna has voiced a very real fear that we may yet live to see the start of the break up of the UK.  I hope not.

To balance the doom and gloom predications I've tried to find positives about leaving the EU.

Oh well I tried...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Yes Mary, and now no chance of getting in Wales.

Every cloud....  :laugh:

Can you imagine Brew,? The Isle of Wight having it's own parliament and an independent  state. Duty frees on Wightlink ferry.

I'm a remainer who's accepted the time for change, there was no alternative. Often, when moving out of  a 'comfort zone' (if the EU could ever be likened to that) getting out of a rut, changing tack completely can make things better than before. We need to embrace the new challenge and the quicker the better. Lots of folk think they know the answers but NOBODY can predict what's ahead.

Our country has faced adversity before and come through, we just need to make sure these times are no exception.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, TBI said:

Lots of folk think they know the answers but NOBODY can predict what's ahead.

So why do it?

29 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Can you imagine Brew,? The Isle of Wight having it's own parliament and an independent  state. Duty frees on Wightlink ferry.

Under the United Nations Charter they may well have the right of self determination and could secede from the UK. It was this right that led to the creation of Northern Ireland after Ireland gained independence from 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland' in 1921. Ireland was for a very short period united but the people of the north rejected Dublin and chose to remain British.

The Isle of Man for instance is legally independent  nor has it ever been part of the UK and has its own government. Some of the channel Isles are  similar so an independent Isle of Wigget is entirely possible and not as far fetched as you think.

Not sure about the duty free, you had to be, or travelling to a destination, at least 12 miles from the border pre EU membership. I don't  know if that still applies.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

What happened to the old maxim, everyone and everything deserves a chance?

Starting out with negative expectations isn't going to help anyone except those whose only desire is to see it fail and there's no shortage of those!

The EU was portrayed entirely negatively by  the right wing media, Farage and others for decades.   Most of that negativity was based on either lies, or deliberate misinterpretation of facts. Just one example.. 'we can't make our own laws'. Simply not true.  Meanwhile, none of the clearly positive aspects of membership was mentioned.  I have pleaded repeatedly on all platforms, for somebody.. anybody.. to tell me the benefits of leaving. Apart from endless parroting of the mythical disadvantages of membership. nothing has been revealed.  It is therefore entirely reasonable that I conclude that the Leave camp do not have any positives to declare.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TBI said:

Fair comment DJ, but the positives hopefully will arise over the coming years.... and to hope for positives one has to be positive.:)

Obviously TBI, it is what it is and I want my country to be a comfortable and prosperous place to live.  Just because I'm not convinced that Brexit is the way to achieve that doesn't mean I don't want it to work... after all, I live here too.  That said, I just hope that if if all goes pear shaped, those who brought it about will 'own' it, admit they were wrong and help us to put things right.

I suspect that most people won't notice any great change in their lives, either for better or worse. The positives and the negatives won't be as extreme as predicted.

In a typical British way, we'll just carry on as normal and make a few running adjustments here and there.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Beekay said:

INDEPENDENCE FOR CORNWALL! THAT'S  WHOT I SAY. (After all, they haven't spoke English for years).

You keep picking 'em BK. Cornwall has had a separatist movement for years, even a  para military arm once although I seem to remember it was one sad individual with a grudge.  :(

• Like 1

Brew, at the end of April I'm off to the grand duchy/kingdom of Norfolk for a week. Gonna take me passport to get me through the Dartford tunnel and the safe passage through Thetford, to my destination of of the principality of Wroxham.   thumbsup

15 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I suspect that most people won't notice any great change in their lives, either for better or worse. The positives and the negatives won't be as extreme as predicted.

In a typical British way, we'll just carry on as normal and make a few running adjustments here and there.

I imagine that's broadly right for us in the middle. .. What worries me is that the already super rich will make a 'killing', and the already poor.. will be more so..

Aaron Banks is reported to have spent £10 million on promoting Brexit.  I doubt he did that for the benefit of you and me.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political