Anything Political

I've made my share of disparaging comments about Trump and his outrageous statements. Over there you see and hear much more about him so are better able to judge. Here we are spoon-fed with highlights and sound bites of his more outlandish comments. 

I still think he's a twonk though...

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

I didn't say I really liked him.  ;)

I think like most polititions who run for leadership he was seen as the lesser of two evils.  The media have hated and attacked him from the moment he was elected.  He seems to have tried to do some stuff he promised and that folks elected him to do, but every time he is blocked by the PC courts, then the media call him a liar.  In the meantime things get progressively worse.  A we look at his opposition for the next election it gets even scarier.

I must be looking at totally different information. 

Every time the Orange Clown opens his tiny mouth he dribbles out the most appalling drivel I have ever heard from any leader of a free country in my 71 years. 

He is self obsessed.  He is basically a spoiled child.  He cannot abide, or deal, with criticism. His latest idiocy is to halt US funding to the WHO, because he just hasn't the maturity or emotional intelligence to deal with the fact that they see the problem differently to him.

He is an idiot.  If he cannot defeat other arguments/opinions with his own logic, he should shut up.  The fact is that he has shown repeatedly that he cannot defeat even the simplest arguments and always resorts to trying to dismiss his opposition by claiming they are 'fake news'.  He is STUPID.

The only time he makes any sense is when he reads from a prepared script, but his scripts are also patent drivel and his appalling reading of them really calls into question his literacy.  Even more worrying is that he is so patently dumb that he must be getting manipulated by people who are smarter, but not necessarily benign.

Everything he does is 'perfect'.  every problem, every time he is caught out lying, every time (and there are many) when he fails.. is either fake news, or someone else's fault.  He has NEVER been wrong.  Everything he does is PERFECT.  Every problem he has ever encountered was someone else's fault.

He is cleverer than scientists, he is cleverer that the WHO, he knows more about business and economics than anybody else on the planet.

And yet this Muppet was claiming only weeks ago that he had CV beat.

Even now he is claiming he can get the US open in days.

I don't usually wish people ill.. but this man really needs to be out of office.. Yesterday.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DavidA said:

I don't like Trump as a person, but whatever he says, whatever he does, the media will attack him for it. When you look at the opposition, you can see why people vote for Trump.

Explain please?  What is wrong with Trump's opposition?

9 hours ago, Brew said:

I've made my share of disparaging comments about Trump and his outrageous statements. Over there you see and hear much more about him so are better able to judge. Here we are spoon-fed with highlights and sound bites of his more outlandish comments. 

I still think he's a twonk though...

I disagree.  Being closer isn't necessarily being better informed. More likely to be carpet bombed with the local message.

Trumps is, has always been, and always be.. an idiot.

I realise that the UK economy is quite important to the UK.

I also realise that the UK economy is suffering.. and likely to suffer much more.. from the CV Crisis.

However.. I really don't think that now is the time for Govt and others to start talking about  'balancing' damage to the economy.. with 'beating the bug'.

To put it bluntly, I really couldn't give a shit about the economy.  It will recover, sooner or later.

Putting it another way.. I'd sooner be unemployed than dead.  I've tried unemployment many times.  It was never fun... especially under Tory Govts. who made it personal...but it beat the hell out of the alternative.

And if some poor little rich boy is upset about how much of his excess cash is being taken to fund me not dying from starvation..  Then he knows my response...

19 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Tsk tsk how can you say that? not only has he made America great again he is genius and the best President the US has ever had. This I know for certain, he said it himself it so it must be true.

Just a few hours ago he was saying he had saved hundreds, maybe thousand of lives, no other world leader has managed to do that.

All this moaning about his fake tan, fake hair and fake news is not helping. Tonight I may go outside and make a noise for President Trump...    :clapping:

I consider myself admonished Brew.  It was crass and unthinking of me to criticise the Greatest Man to Ever Walk The Earth.

When I think of all the wonderful things he says he has done for his country and the World.. I am quite literally amazed.

Nobody else could have said he has done so much for his country as Trump says he has done for his country.

In fact.. Trump is so much better at saying how much he has done for his country than anything other Leaders  say they have done for their country.. that I'm convinced that Trump is convinced that he has done more for his country than any other leader has done for their country.

That's pretty impressive.. :rolleyes:

They come and they go, they come and they go!   Lib, Lab, tory,  Canada, ditto.  USA Republican, Democrat.  I've experienced 'em all in my 75 years in three countries.  Some leaders reasonably statesman like.  Some more like Chimps.  Sometimes a country seems to do quite well in spite of it's leadership or lack of it.  underlying it all is a steady rot.  Root problem lies in the human condition and manifests itself periodically in wars, depressions and little permanent change for the better.  I could go on but it would be depressing and ultimately a waste of words.  So I'll shurrup and slink back into me kennel.  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I disagree.  Being closer isn't necessarily being better informed. More likely to be carpet bombed with the local message.

Note I didn't say better informed, I said better able to judge. Having a lot of information, carpet bombed as you say, doesn't necessarily mean it's right, it means you have more to choose from. - more to accept or reject depending on your political leanings and opinions. Most people seize on something they agree with and go with it. The stuff they don't agree with is dismissed out of hand and scant attention is paid to it.

If what someone says and does has an effect on your personal outlook or circumstances you tend to take more notice. You pay more attention. The does not always mean you agree or disagree, it means you understand more. You are part of the culture and have an insight to the nuances foreigners miss.

Edit:

Forgot to say the noise I will make may be something the clergy are not too familiar with...

27 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I could go on but it would be depressing and ultimately a waste of words.

Words are rarely wasted LL. They can be brilliant, they can be nonsense but always they will inform, entertain or add value to the sum of knowledge.  The can be descriptive, they can be seductive, they can be dismissive or inspirational and more besides - but rarely are they wasted. You are always welcome to chuck your threepen'orth in any time you like. 

• Like 2

Whilst discussing dangerous idiots, what has happened/is happening with the BoJo's (un)trained monkey Dominic Cummings? His (undignified) doings and utterances don't seem to be reported down here.

• Like 1

Just watched Stamer on Breakfast tv. Is this the 'man'? He certainly came across quite well and raised a couple of points during this short but balanced interview.

He emphasised that there could be no dates or duration periods put on how the nation gets back to normal (the new 'normal' as some call it) . Things will happen as data is gathered and decisions made accordingly. He pointed out that we need a plan from the Government to give us some idea of where we are going. Nothing specific - just engage with us please.  he quite rightly asked, where are the statistics and where are the testings? He pointed out how the NHS staff and others have been so undervalued and that this should be rectified after this crisis. He also  mentioned how important it was for the less privileged children to get back to school, them being likely to live in more crowded conditions.

Maybe he could be the 'man' that we so desperately need to lead a Labour party that can balance up the government and that I could vote for?

• Like 2

Weasels have an amazing ability to squeeze through the tiniest of cracks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've just seen Starmer on BBC World News. He seem a quite reasonable and intelligent person. I hope he can do some good.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

He should be put on Furlough.

He should be put on trial.

• Like 3

So, from what I've just read, HS2 is coming across as the most important thing in the UK at the moment!!. Someone, somewhere needs to forget about  'money ' and get focused on a more serious problem. Covid 19!! For heavens sake. 

• Like 1

Thanks for you kind words, Brew which I agree with.

The problem for me is that my words would be seen in the category of religion, a tabboo topic here.  I have no wish to muddy the waters of the political thread so I'l shurrup.  ;)

I will only go as far as to say that I see the various problems of this sad old world as essentially unsolvable by any mere human or political party.  The issues have been with us in various forms throughout human history.

• Upvote 1

Loppy,

I don't think that religion is a 'taboo' subject on NS.  I certainly have no objection to anyone expressing their faith here.  The only religions/religious people I take issue with, are those who feel they have the right to impose their faith on others, especially those, such as ISIS, who believe they have the right to demand acquiescence and obedience from everyone... but I'd extend that to those who insist on indoctrination of innocent children.

For me, religion, by definition, can only exist where there is Faith... and Faith can only truly exist within an individual if it is arrived at without  compulsion.  It cannot be imposed. I cannot make you believe anyything.  I can force you to 'profess' Faith, through fear, guilt or whatever.. but I cannot force you to 'have' Faith.

As you know, I don't believe in the existence of any God and I therefore am not inclined to entrust my destiny to any God, or to any of those Gods' self appointed representatives here on Earth.

My own preference is for the increasing development of understanding between all groups on this planet, be they religious, political, social, ethnic or whatever.

At some point it will eventually dawn on humanity that we really are 'all in this together', all trapped on 'Prison Planet Earth' and that we co-operate, or we all perish.

I suspect that any who define themselves as 'chosen', or believe that they are 'special'..are in for a rude awakening.

Of course it's easy to criticise our various political systems, but since most of them have been inextricably intertwined with religion since the dawn of time, I don't think either come out smelling of roses.

However.. having got all of that out of the way... I can only repeat that I have no isue with hearing faith based arguments expressed here.

Some of my best friends are practising members of various faiths.

• Like 3

I take it you won't be joining the Westboro Baptist Church any time soon then...

• Like 1

It's not likely Brew. They operate like extremists the World over.  They try to present their arguments as reasonable, supported by 'evidence' etc.  Their 'evidence' is their own particular interpretation of a 'The Bible', which itself is a book riddled with dispute, numerous 'versions' etc.

They then go on, in effect, to say that anyone who disagrees with them is, by definition, evil.

It's a tactic as old as the hills, used by everyone from the Tudors and Stuarts, to Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot.  If you disagree with us you are clearly treasonous/insane/ignorant/deluded/whatever.

Unsurprisingly.. it is also Trump's tactic...

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I don't think that religion is a 'taboo' subject on NS

I don't think it should be either as long as we respect others viewpoints. I am an atheist but respect that others need a belief system. However like DJ360 I have no tolerance for anyone who wants to push their faith at me. We will get along fine if we hold our own beliefs and not try to impose them on others.

DJ360's post made me wonder about the religious beliefs of our Prime Ministers in Australia since we came to Australia. The summary is as follows

1 Atheist, 1 Methodist, 1 Anglican, 1 Pentecostal, 2 Agnostics, 3 Catholics

The last census identified the Australian population as No Religion 30%, Catholic 23%, Anglican 13%, Pentecostal 1%.

Strangely enough this is a reasonable reflection of the populace.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political