Anything Political

9 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

1 Atheist, 1 Methodist, 1 Anglican, 1 Pentecostal, 2 Agnostics, 3 Catholics

As someone who is extremely non-religious (not anti-religious) I find that statement fascinating and baffling.

Those distinctions mean absolutely nothing to me; I wouldn't know any difference between an Anglican and a Pentecostal etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I’m just following the current trend.

It would be my suggestion that religious dogmatism has been forced upon the populations throughout history in a form of relentless brainwashing; through the Sunday schools, compulsory reading of religious texts in school assemblies, HM Forces compulsory attendance for church parades, daily media i.e., Radio 4’s ‘Thoughts for Today’ and the Radio 4 long wave, ‘Daily Prayer’ and in churches world-wide.

This example of continuous religious bombardment is endless. So rigidly assumed by the self-proclaimed emissaries of whatever god, represented at the time, that we are all supposed to believe in the lord who resides, bearded and white robed, in the fluffy cumulous above, 'in his heaven', looking down with a scowling countenance upon the sinful disbelievers below, and hell awaits those who challenged these myths, is something beyond the tiresome.

Looks like its hell for me!
4 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

The last census identified the Australian population as No Religion 30%, Catholic 23%, Anglican 13%, Pentecostal 1%.

What about the missing 33%...?

I would guess 'Agnostic'   gnostic is the Greek word for to know,  putting an A ahead of it makes it  a negative. Thus the agnostic is not necessarily irreligious.  He/she just believes one cannot know.

What a huge topic this could turn into! Religion is easily the most complex subject discussed by ordinary people. It's extraordinary how, without any demonstrable evidence,  participants are so convinced they are willing to lay down their lives for an abstract concept.

Religion ranges from the strictest of fundamentalist and zealots to the free love churches of the 70's and letting it all 'hang out'. In the middle are the mainstream who  conveniently  cherry pick those parts of the scriptures they can live with and turn a blind eye to those bits they can't or find uncomfortable.

In some ways I'm quite envious. As someone with a phobia about end of life etc. it must a huge comfort to be absolutely certain there is more. That in some strange unexplained way we retain consciousness and awareness.

• Like 1

I'm with you Brew, and I'm what some would call a "fundamentalist' .  Unfortunately that word has come to have such negative connotations.  Mostly from the actions of some who use the term whether Islamic, or Westboro Baptist.  

In it's original use back in the twenties, I believe, it was simply a term meant to describe one who was not a religious liberal, but believes in a literal understanding of their faith.

Unfortunately it seems to be almost impossible for some to discuss it without accusations of proseletization and 'ramming your religion down my throat' accusations.  Bit like politics.

Thus wisdom dictates that those of us who hold to such belief tend not to say much about it on a public forum such as this.

I am more than willing to talk privately, but even then, only if the other party wants to.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Brew said:

They're all down the pub drinking Fosters.

• Like 1

What a strange question. I have no knowledge or awareness of time before my birth and as far as I know it would be difficult to be phobic about a past event.

• Like 1

I'm obviously being a bit thick today, I've completely  lost the plot here... it must be me age...

Don't feel bad, Brew.  I forgot to turn the dishwasher on last night.  Only discovered it at 10 pm.  I thought I was going to end up spending the night in the doghouse, with the lawnmover.  Dogs were inside. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Don't feel bad, Brew.  I forgot to turn the dishwasher on last night.  Only discovered it at 10 pm. ............. Dogs were inside. :biggrin:

When I first read that, I thought you were telling us the dogs were inside the dishwasher.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Beekay said:
11 hours ago, Brew said:

They're all down the pub drinking Fosters.

First point of explanation. No self respecting Australian drinks Fosters, you can't find it in many pubs here.

Second point. The other religions all other groups e.g. Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. but many recorded Jedi which was ignored by the census agency as not deemed relevant. Mostly people taking the pi$$?

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread but I’m just following the current trend.

It would be my suggestion that religious dogmatism has been forced upon the populations throughout history in a form of relentless brainwashing; through the Sunday schools, compulsory reading of religious texts in school assemblies, HM Forces compulsory attendance for church parades, daily media i.e., Radio 4’s ‘Thoughts for Today’ and the Radio 4 long wave, ‘Daily Prayer’ and in churches world-wide.

This example of continuous religious bombardment is endless. So rigidly assumed by the self-proclaimed emissaries of whatever god, represented at the time, that we are all supposed to believe in the lord who resides, bearded and white robed, in the fluffy cumulous above, 'in his heaven', looking down with a scowling countenance upon the sinful disbelievers below, and hell awaits those who challenged these myths, is something beyond the tiresome.

Looks like its hell for me!

I find myself in unnaccustomed agreement with you.

As my Catholic second cousin in Perth was told when applying for a post at an Anglican school.

‘One can of beans is very much like any other can of beans!’. She’s a school psychologist, available for consultation with staff and pupils alike. We never had one of those in my day! 

Alpha’s summary of religion is bang on. It’s original purpose was to put the fear of god onto the population so that they could be more easily controlled. This has carried over today with some of the more intense religions. The others are just cosy little clubs where mainly nice, kind people can come together to act out their harmless rituals which give them comfort. Quite harmless really and they should be left alone.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political