Anything Political

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

I totally agree Oz. Those of our age remember how our parents struggled, even if we didn’t actually realise it at the time.  Nowadays folk expect everything on a plate, handouts, food banks and benefits for just about everything.  We got a few pounds a week family allowance (but not for the first child I remember)  I honestly think that we now have too many immigrants on our little island, all receiving benefits and hospital care.  They all come here, have a load of kids and live off our tax money.  

• Like 3

Bearing in mind most of the media is written by 'youngsters' who weren't around in the 70s when inflation was really high, or the 90s when interest rates were high.

Most journalists today have never known inflation or interest at anything more than 3-4%.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Back in the 80s, interest rates went up to 15%, which was painful for those paying mortgages... including yours truly!  If that happened now,there would be riots. We just had to grin and pay up.

Same here jill & when we found ourselves struggling with a toddler & only one wage coming in i took on a bar job three evenings a week to give us a bit of extra income. Wouldn't have dreamt of asking for handouts which is what everyone seems to expect nowadays.

41 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I totally agree Oz. Those of our age remember how our parents struggled, even if we didn’t actually realise it at the time.  Nowadays folk expect everything on a plate, handouts, food banks and benefits for just about everything.  We got a few pounds a week family allowance (but not for the first child I remember)  I honestly think that we now have too many immigrants on our little island, all receiving benefits and hospital care.  They all come here, have a load of kids and live off our tax money.  

Couldn't agree more lizzie & in my opinion its one of the reasons why our ex service personnel & oap's have to rely on charity to help them out in their time of need.

I agree with LizzieM regarding the immigrant issue, far too many for a small island.

How many of the refugees/immigrants do the do gooder's invite into their homes or would offer to feed and accommodate them?

As for the interest rates of the 80/90's I remember 17% at one time. The pre-millenium's havn't experienced any real hardships yet, but that's soon to change.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We got a few pounds a week family allowance (but not for the first child I remember)  

I always seemed to earn just enough to not qualify for much assistance and the same when we came to OZ. I get a pension from my time working in the UK but the Australian government deducts it from the the "part pension" I get as my assets that I have worked and saved for during my working life are too high for a full pension.

• Like 1

So, Mary Elizabeth Truss is the new glorious leader.

Looking from afar it seems as if she blows around in the wind and changes her views to suit the next stage in her political ambitions. I have a funny feeling that she cannot be doing that now she is Prime Minister. If the party does not unite behind her she will not last long before the knives are out and perhaps Boris will be resurrected as a born again Messiah. Meanwhile on the other side of politics does Labour have anyone who is capable of cutting through after the dismal failure of Comrade Corbyn and the invisible Keir Starmer?

I do not usually take much notice of what is happening in the world of politics, to be honest it never seems to make any difference to my circumstances who is in power. But I find the new prime minister somewhat alarming looking at her track record and some of her utterances (eg tax cuts) and have a horrible feeling she could be out of her depth? 
Like Octalgian I am just above the threshold for Pension Credit so will miss out on some of the help being offered, but rightly it is going to those in greatest need as it should. It is all a bit worrying, my summer bills have gone up by 50% before the next price rise comes in. Looks like thermals and blankets will be in order in winter!

It really doesn't matter to the prospects for the country that a slim majority of a tiny minority have chosen a vacuous, limited and unprincipled woman to replace a corrupt, lying, lazy, self obsessed man as our next Prime Minister.

As things stand, all that is required is for the Tory PM to continue enacting the wishes of the anti democratic, proto fascist 'donors', oligarchs, absentee press barons etc.. etc..who now own the Tory party and will ...if not stopped..soon own us all.

Immigration or not we have the same problems. My daughter gave a job to a Ukrainian girl , her husband managed to escape and found his way here. He’s found a job in Belgium or Holland ???. and she is following him naturally. My daughters helper in the kitchen found a job that she applied for more than a year ago

( Ferrero ) All you could wish for in a job. She was very sorry to leave but eventually she was accepted and started working there. Now my daughter has no staff and has been looking all summer. Plenty of interviewees but almost all of them already have dole money coming in and don’t want to give it up by registering as employed or they don’t want to work weekends or evenings. One said she could work at lunchtime from 1pm but must leave by 3 pm. Unbelievable that in this situation people just do not want to work. With all the refugees arriving daily before too long we’ll have more foreigners than locals.

Reading between the lines...

She is determined to cut taxes for the rich. She however also has to do something about energy/cost of living.So logically that boils down to funding tax cuts by borrowing  A classic example of the reality that it is Tories, not Labour, who borrow most. And they do so because public borrowing  actually amounts to a nice little earner for the rich, which is paid for by the less well off.

I despair the state that conservative governments have brought to many countries in the world. Led by economists and accountants and politicians with borderline extreme right philosophies these are the people that have deliberately increased the gap between rich and poor. They have supported massive rorts where taxpayer money has been "gifted" to corporations run by mates. Seen massive profits of which very little has flowed to the actual workers whilst directors have been paid obscene bonuses. The also assisted in developing the "Gig Economy" where people are "employed" but have no guarantee of any paid hours with tools such as zero hours contracts.

Here in Oz interest rates have just gone up another 0.5 %, the short-term reduction of the fuel excise ends this month and will immediately add 25 cents a litre to the cost of fuel. We have seen gas and electricity price rises but nothing like those in the UK and today 1,000 child-care centres will be closed as workers strike for better wages and conditions. Justifiable in my opinion as they get less than flipping hamburgers or stacking shelves in the local supermarkets. The same applies to aged care workers as they are underpaid for the work they do.

There needs to be a massive realignment of our society and it will not happen under any Conservative government. Luckily we have elected what seems a sensible Labour government that has started work on addressing some of these issues but it will be a long road to recovery. I will look on with interest at how the UK's new Prime Minister handles all that will be thrown at her.

• Like 1

So Unfaithful Mary's first act was to sack all the Rishi Sunak supporters and load up the cabinet with those who supported her. She said she wanted an "Aspirational Nation" surely given the mess that the UK is in it needs the best, brightest and most competent regardless of who they supported.

Here is a thought ..... Abolish the House of Lords (The Upper House), a place for hangers on and failed and disenchanted politicians to hide. It seems to have worked OK in Queensland they abolished their upper house in 1922 and there are no plans to re-instate it.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political