Anything Political

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

Yes Boris and Donald were always entertaining, just not believable either of them. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, radfordred said:

I’m already missing Boris :( I have a feeling he will come back stronger, I also miss Donald :(

Fb9Q940WQAYcOE5?format=jpg&name=medium

He did not deliver Brexit. He fudged it.

He did not develop the vaccine.

His chancellor borrowed to pay for furlough.

True, he supported Ukraine..just like the rest of the free World except for places like Hungary and India, currently run by wannabe dictatorsvOrban and Modi.

What is this 'EU funded press'? and how does it relate to the majority right wing press owned by absentee and offshore interests?

The press has certainly beaten democracy..that's how Brexit happened and Johnson gained power.

As I predicted above, it ifs clear that Truss is using borrowing to fund support for energy consumers, thereby protecting the obscene profits of energy producers . She has also appointed the terminally smug Reese Mogg as energy minister. The fact that he has huge personal investments in energy producers is, of course..purely coincidental...:rolleyes::laugh:

Same old Tory sleaze..

I suppose the Daily Mail could come under “EU funded press”, considering how many millions their editor skimmed off in subsidies for his grouse moors under the Common Agricultural Policy.

All politicians are the same whichever political party or ideology they follow. Their sole interest is themselves and election to higher public office simply presents them with an opportunity for self promotion and advancement. "Vote for me, I know what you want" ...... No you don't because you hardly ever ask and when you do, if the answer is not what you want to hear, you refuse to acknowledge or carry out the wishes of the population. A perfect example was the Brexit  referendum where David Cameron didn't get the result he wanted, so resigned and created the farce of the last six years instead of carrying out his responsibility to lead the country through it.  MPs seek office for which they receive a fair salary in comparison to the average working man/ woman. They then claim expenses for whatever they can get away with, receive increased renumeration for sitting on committees and manage to get themselves on to company boards etc. 'Tory' politicians have been derided but in my view there is no difference to Labour politicians. I'm not aware of any MP from 'the party of the working people' actually having had a real job. Many study politics at university then go to work in a Union office until a constituency becomes available. Nice work if you can get it. 

• Like 2

Depends on 

1 hour ago, Hey Arnold said:

I’m not aware of any MP from 'the party of the working people' actually having had a real job. Many study politics at university then go to work in a Union office until a constituency becomes available. Nice work if you can get it. 

Depends on what you class as a real job. On the Labour benches, you’ll find barristers like Starmer and Thornberry, doctors like Rosena Allin-Khan, nurses and care workers, teachers, military (e.g. Dan Jarvis), and plenty of people who had other “proper” jobs.

it’s far too easy to suggest that “they’re all the same” when they’re plainly not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Rob.L Let me correct myself. You're absolutely right not all politicians are the same, as I stated, just the majority. MPs such as Frank Field (Now Baron Field) worked as a teacher and always tried to represent the views of his constituents even if it was not his own personal view, and of course there are several others as you state. However I stand by my argument that the most MPs, of whatever persuasion, don't understand the ordinary working man/woman as they have very little experience of work as we know it 

Especially true when you consider that MPs get allowances and expenses for almost everything possible.

They don't have to bother about the price of petrol, or electricity, or food, or drink, because they just fill in a form and get it all paid back to them at an inflated rate.

To an MP, price increases are something which happen to other people.

And don't forget that the more money you have, the more you benefit from tax cuts.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just seen an interview of Liz Truss and she certainly did not come across as the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer.

Same platitudes as ever "If the economy does well then everyone does well" The same blatant lie that was being pushed here. Ask the average worker if they are doing well, I know what answer you will get. More talk about tax cuts which, if percentage based disproportionally favour the rich, but what do you expect from the Conservative side of politics? Levelling up was not mentioned and appeared to not want to discuss "windfall taxes" on energy suppliers or others making a motza out of current conditions. Sadly it looks like more of the same only with a frock on.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Truss is clearly incompetent. As someone observed, 'She'd be out of her depth on a damp pavement'.

More worrying to me at least is that she, and no doubt Kwarteng too, is clearly delivering 'policy' according to a script  which is way beyond her capabilities to write. She is therefore very clearly being controlled. 

The dirty hand of the 'Institute of Economic Affairs' and other very opaque organisations which are in truth just self interested lobbying organisations but which masquerade as somehow 'politically neutral' and benign.

These borderline criminal organisations need to be investigated, their opaque funding sources made transparent and their influence clearly demonstrated. The IAE is a far right neoliberal 'free market', anti-public service bunch of crooks, funded by the Tobacco Industry among others  and at the moment it is practically governing this country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Economic_Affairs

Thankfully at the last general election Australia chose to rid itself of a totally corrupt incompetent Conservative government that stubbornly refused to recognise and do anything about climate change or introduce an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC). The then incumbent Prime Minister went as far as secretly installing himself as minister of several other portfolios without even telling the relevant ministers. Claimed it was safety first due to Covid?

The Labor government has introduced legislation to form an ICAC and lo and behold the new Conservative leader, sensing the wind, is fully supportive. I wonder if the new ICAC will retrospectively investigate any of the blatant rorts of the previous government.

My sources tell me that the wife of the CEO of BP donated £100000 to Truss's leadership campaign. So, she wasn't really even voted in by the minority blue rinse/retired colonel brigade, but by the oil industry. So no 'windfall tax'.

Amazing how many working class idiots lap up the Daily Mail 'unions control the Labour Party' meme, yet remain blissfully ignorant of the machinations of 'big money'.

It is looking very likely that our incumbent Labor government will be doing a Truss/Kwarteng backflip on long promised tax cuts for the high-income bracket. It should be said that both parties promised these cuts would still go ahead if they won the election last May. The cuts would see someone on $200,000 a year save $9,000 and the average Joe saving only $1,250 a year. It appears they have looked at the outcry in the UK, read the tea leaves and realized that this is not equitable especially in times of high inflation. I hope they see sense and consign them to the rubbish bin. As a self-funded retiree I wish they would force the banks to pass on an increase in rates payed on investments as quickly as they pass on rate rises to those with mortgages.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just before Khazi Kuarteng got the boot today, I was discussing the govt. with someone on f'book. She thought the Tories just needed to step up, stop squabbling and take responsibility for their mistakes. As you might guess, my view is rather different.

"I'd agree that in the short term it is the responsibility and the duty of the Tory party as a whole to 'own' their mistakes and make reparations. It's no good for them to keep going on about the support with energy costs while ignoring the TWO elephants in the room representing huge hikes in mortgage costs and  more general inflation which have wiped out any financial support for many.
But just like Johnson, Truss and Kwarting continue to field underlings to sit on Question Time etc..desperately and unconvincingly trying to defend the indefensible.
Meanwhile, Rees-Mogg, looking and sounding increasingly like Grytpype Thynne, the suave, erudite, but totally amoral and manipulative villain from the Goon Show, continues to trot out well delivered and superficially logical  justifications for anything and everything, with zero consistency or principle. A consummate liar and nothing more than a spiv with a posh accent.
Set all of that against a 12 year background of graft, corruption, incompetence, malicious  treatment of the disadvantaged, dodgy dealings with foreign money, and the increasingly transparent influence of unelected  and unaccountable lobbying organisations such as the ERG, oil and tobacco funded 'Institute of Economic Affairs' and other groups in the Viper's Nest that is 55Tufton St Westminster. ..and it should be clear to any right thinking person that this government HAS to go, for the sake of our Democracy."

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

As you might guess, my view is rather different.

I could just change the country and some names and it would read exactly the same for Australia.

Thankfully we voted to get rid of the conservatives at our last election. It now seems that Labor, for the time being and especially for the mini budget due in two weeks, may not be going to scrap the tax cuts as it is concerned that they went to the election promising these cuts and it would be seen as reneging on an election promise as that might damage their re-election chances and give the opposition a supply of rocks to throw. When are governments going to learn that they are elected to do what is best for the country and not try just to save their sorry arses. It must be said that these tax cuts are not due to come into effect until 2024 so plenty of time for a wind change.

What if any thing would you do in the currant sisuation?

What is going to happen to couples who have a motgage and maybe young children'

Food Banks it's 2022   Should we be having food banks ?? Every one should have a decent living wage, and it should not have to be made up by other monnies,, so that you can eat.

Is the world as we know it going backwatrds?

Will children in the future be born with pads on the ends of there fingers so than can text faster?

How many abandon electric cars will you see about?

After seeing how that young chinese man was beaten by his own people and our PC just stood there and watched, is this really the country of free speech? 

What has happened to all the youth clubs?

Have you brought your ticket for "Gladstoneberry " Yet?

and there's lot's more,

Please if you answer or post don't make it too Political. Don't get on your high horse.

@mary1947, at the rate we're going, we are becoming a 3rd world country.

Afore we know it, Ethiopia and Somalia will be sending us aid and food parcels etc.

• Like 1

The high energy costs are a real worry. It will be like going back to my childhood when we lived in a house with just a coal fire in the front room for heating, no central heating. I can remember my dad putting coats over our beds as well as blankets to keep us warm.
I will be using my gas fire in the front room and just use the central heating sparingly. This year I should be able to just about manage but have no idea how I will cope next year if prices rise even more being on a pension. I am just above pension credit limit so that cuts off a lot of benefits.
I do get a bit extra invigilating at a school during the exams but don’t know how much longer I will be able to do this due to health conditions. Might have to consider downsizing next year possibly although I do like it where I am at the moment. 

I well remember the power cuts in the 70s. I really enjoyed them! Sitting by candlelight, listening to radio 3 in the evenings. I was still at school and homework had to be done by candlelight.

I often have candles burning instead of the electric light. I prefer it. I was born in the wrong century. 

In the 80s, I lived in Brinsley. There were overhead power lines and sudden, unannounced outages were pretty frequent, so candles were a necessary standby. On one occasion, the power was off for three days in the depths of winter. It was fun. Candles and a real fire. There was no gas supply in that house, although I did eventually have it installed. 

These privations wouldn't have pulled the rug out from under our parents. We haven't yet been called upon to experience anything like the inconveniences they endured.

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political