Anything Political

12 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Never has my gast been so flabbered. - Frankie Howerd Prof. Inigo Tinkle

Meanwhile the ship of state sails on, effectively rudderless as the Conservatives have lost their moorings.

Would a successful no confidence vote in parliament result in a general election? If not you may have to wait until 2025.

Having said that have the loony extreme left been subdued or silenced within the Labor party to make them a viable government?

As I understand it, it would take a lot of Tories plus the combined opposition parties to outvote the Govt. Whilst there's little doubt that many Tory MPs are very dissatisfied with the Govt, many also know that an election any time soon would see them out of a job, and the Tories out of office  for a very long time. Given the scale of the Tory disaster, it's even possible the Tories could be wiped out in the way the Liberals were early in the 20thC.

I'm not entirely sure how a particular vote becomes a 'Vote of Confidence'...I'll have to check on that.

Also, the circumstances now are different to those prevailing in the early 20th C . Back then  Labour was rapidly gaining a foothold in the consciousness of the working population, offering something fairer than the class ridden social structure and inflexible certainties of the Victorian and Edwardian periods. WW1 certainly hastened that process.

So, put simply, Labour replaced the Liberals as the 'progressive' force in UK politics.

At present, there's no cohesive ideology waiting in the wings to replace the Tories, so even if wiped out in the short term, they'll no doubt blunder on, picking over what's left of the UK that they can steal, sell off, etc.

Labour is no longer able to offer a way out of the class system etc. as that has all but gone, so the offer at present is essentially a 'nicer' form of Capitalism. Labour need to find a much more targeted and cohesive alternative to the Tories. Winning on the basis that they are the 'best of a bad bunch' isn't sustainable. That said Labour are rightly wary of pronouncing too many definitive policies and spending commitments because, despite all evidence, people, egged on by a rabid foreign owned right wing press, are still easily convinced that Labour is a 'Tax and Spend'  party, so any slight error of judgement will be pounced upon by the press.

If the Tories do a 'Liberal Decline'..their replacement needs to come from some sort of coalition of Green/Environmental/Lib Dem etc. groups.

...maybe.. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

people, egged on by a rabid foreign owned right wing press, are still easily convinced that Labour is a 'Tax and Spend'  party

I find it interesting that the same line of attack is used by the conservatives here in Australia to target the Labour side of politics. Worthy of note is that it was largely the conservative side that suffered resounding defeats by the "Teal" (because of their campaign colours) independents and the greens.

There may be some merit in the last paragraph of your post above for both the UK and here in OZ as like the UK Labor is being seen more as a Conservative Lite party.

The main issue in doing that here is that people are concerned if the Green extremists hold any meaningful power they will destroy the economy by putting many green policies in place i.e closing coal and gas power generation before there is something to replace the base load power with. 

Congratulations on your new Prime Minister. Hope he does better than the previous 2. There’s been a lot of teasing cartoons here and I suppose in UK too. We have ( it seems) a serious Premier who as a woman hopefully get things moving. Must say she’s determined, refusing many perks of the job. Time will tell and good luck to both UK and Italy. I like the comic postcard “ Brexitaly”

I don't forsee any significant change under Sunak. He's clearly a better communicator and less accident prone than 'Two Soups' Truss, but he's just as much in league with far right lobbying gangs such as the ERG, 'Institute of Economic Affairs' etc.

It's pretty clear that the far right mob including Baker, Rees Mogg etc....decided that Johnson was too toxic. So they cut a deal with Sunak..offering him their support, in exchange for 30 pieces of silver in the form of the charming Cruella Braverman...back at the home office.

Given her undisciplined, erratic and very outspoken approach to the job, I wouldn't be surprised if she hands Sunak a good reason to dispose of her in short order.

Otherwise, it looks like business as usual.. Sunak may display a veneer of competence, but the business of asset stripping the UK, dismantling our public services and legislating away a century of hard won human rights will continue until the UK electorate wake up .

• Like 1

Reports that a 'Charity', set up by Jeremy Hunt, paid more than 66%:of its income to its only employee and Chief Executive....who just happens to have previously been an adviser to Hunt who was also involved in a lobbying scandal. 

Even if your political instincts are nsturally Conservative,  it must be clear by now that the present bunch are just plain crooks and thieves.

Just bought a new smart TV because all the pixies that lived inside the old one fell out. There is a free channel on it called GBTV watched it for all of two minutes yesterday. Never seen such biased reporting since I last mistakenly tuned in to Fox News.

It appears to be slightly to the right of Attila the Hun. Do people watch this unmitigated drivel in the UK?

I don't think many do Oz. 

I 'gave up' over 35 years ago, like to know, will there only be Seven Kingdoms? 

Seems unlikely they will have the same names..

'Mercia" needs to be at least split into four, before fighting for full control.

Will 'Cornwall' remain...

Smart TV had one for quite a while its so smart but its sound quality is rubbish? Even brought 2  large speakers and the rest of equipment but still not much better,

May-by I should go for a hearing test?

hu'mmmm what's that you say?

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Reports that a 'Charity', set up by Jeremy Hunt, paid more than 66%:of its income to its only employee and Chief Executive....who just happens to have previously been an adviser to Hunt who was also involved in a lobbying scandal. 

Even if your political instincts are nsturally Conservative,  it must be clear by now that the present bunch are just plain crooks and thieves.

Nothing new there then DJ!

It would be interesting if this issue was mentioned to your local MP. Just to see how far it would get.

I'm a TV News Addict and GB News is my firm favourite.......some great refreshing presenters....including Nigel Farage and Dan Wooton......

• Like 2
10 hours ago, radfordred said:

The Nigel Farage show Monday to Thursday @ 7pm is well worth watching.

GB News is a good way to find out what some of their presenters really think. Neil Oliver has revealedvhisvtrue colours for e.g, but Farage and Neill were already well known right wing Trolls . Farage is just a spiv.

10 hours ago, radfordred said:

he Nigel Farage show Monday to Thursday @ 7pm is well worth watching.

8 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I'm a TV News Addict and GB News is my firm favourite.......some great refreshing presenters....including Nigel Farage and Dan Wooton.

Thanks RR and Ben. The Farage show is on at 4:30 am in Adelaide, I'm certainly not getting up at that time to watch TV but I will record it and have a look.

• Like 2

Just watched our Non-Elected Prime Minister....visiting a Hospital in his white shirt with sleeves rolled up as if he was going to do some work........P..ses me right off..................

• Like 2

Yes! Ben and Rob.L

Meanwhile here in OZ in our new Labor governments' first budget they slash 2.5 billion dollars from the health budget?

I really thought that a new Labor government would get its priorities right. Obviously I was wrong as they are still planning to go ahead with tax cuts for the mega rich. 

• 2 weeks later...

In other news, I see that 'Sir' (whose idea was that?) Gavin Williamson has been once more demonstrating the statesmanship, political 'nous' and emotional maturity of a 10 year old..
Can't they put him on report, or in detention or something?

• Like 1

Tory gerrymandering and voter suppression continue...

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/11/07/voter-id-its-far-worse-than-any-us-state/

At the 2019 General Election, out of 47,587,254 people voting, there was only 1 conviction of voter fraud (+0 cautions).

That represents  0.0000021014% of votes.

Source - https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data/2019-electoral-fraud-data

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Indeed. And the anti democratic Tory Govt. has taken away the independence of the very organisation which came up with those figures.

When will the British Electorate wake up to what this bunch of criminals is doing?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Anything Political